"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
However, it was not just depression. The media announced today (at least here in UK) that he told his closest friends that he was close to bankruptcy. He has 2 previous wives to maintain.
He was not maintaining them. They received substantial settlements when they divorced, according to California law. I agree with Steve - it's more likely his career problems that led to this. He was still receiving royalties for TV shows, movies, etc.

His family is well taken care of. If you want a realistic assessment of his finances, check this out: What's Next For Robin Williams' Family And Estate? - Forbes
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #32
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614

As mentioned, I just reported on what was disclosed on the news, that's all.
__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post

As mentioned, I just reported on what was disclosed on the news, that's all.
That's fine. I was just expanding on your post.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hard to tell if that was a trigger. I have seen other reports that estimated his net worth at $50 million (including a $35 million house he had put up for sale). Among Hollywood A-Listers, that might be considered "close to bankruptcy," but I think most of us could somehow manage to survive on it.

I can't help but think that a more deciding factor might have been what were considered recent failures: a movie that bombed and was released to VOD, and a promising television series that was cancelled after a single season due to dwindling ratings. That would be a blow to anyone's ego but, for someone who suffered from clinical depression, you have to think it would be devastating.

Another report said he had suffered from "survivor's guilt" for many years after losing several good friends, including John Belushi and Christopher and Dana Reeve.

But of course, it's all speculation. No one can truly get into the mind of another.
There is no way of knowing what was going on in his mind. Triggers--loss of job, loss of loved ones, anticipatory grief, feelings of rejection, etc., etc., etc. Usually, it takes more than one trigger--think of a train wreck--everything falling apart at the same time. Depression with suicidal ideations knows no boundaries when it comes to societal-economic class. It is just very, very sad and heart wrenching. For those battling, it seems as if it as a never ending battle and there is no light at the end of the tunnel and life has no purpose and it is impossible to find hope.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
However, it was not just depression. The media announced today (at least here in UK) that he told his closest friends that he was close to bankruptcy. He has 2 previous wives to maintain.

"Ah, yes, divorce ... from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."

I just read that he selflessly raised $80m for various charities over the years, including Amnesty International and for families of victims of 9/11, to name a few.
BTW, I take offense at your use of the terms "just depression." The depression leads to the inability to function. There is nothing "just" about it. It is overwhelming and it doesn't happen overnight. Writing "just depression" suggests that your opinion is that he should have been able to "get over it." He wasn't able to "get over it." He was struggling to survive. Getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed can be more than a person suffering from severe depression can face on a daily basis.

Severe depression and the person's inability to perform routine daily tasks usually leads to the breakdown of relationships and the ability to stay on top of things financially. The person suffering from depression is in shut-down mode and pushes people away. Depressed people often don't open their mail, pay their bills, take care of their environment, or answer the phone. It is easier torun away and hide from the world because the "world" is too overwhelming and they don't know how to get back on track because they weren't aware they were leaving the track until they are past the point of acute depression. Refrain from judging until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
However, it was not just depression. The media announced today (at least here in UK) that he told his closest friends that he was close to bankruptcy. He has 2 previous wives to maintain.

"Ah, yes, divorce ... from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."

I just read that he selflessly raised $80m for various charities over the years, including Amnesty International and for families of victims of 9/11, to name a few.
Thinking a guy hung himself because he had financial trouble, not just depression, is like thinking an alcoholic got drunk because his dog died.

"... genitals through his wallet." was a pretty good line. So was "living isn't for everybody."
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #37
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
BTW, I take offense at your use of the terms "just depression." The depression leads to the inability to function. There is nothing "just" about it. It is overwhelming and it doesn't happen overnight. Writing "just depression" suggests that your opinion is that he should have been able to "get over it." He wasn't able to "get over it." He was struggling to survive. Getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed can be more than a person suffering from severe depression can face on a daily basis.

Severe depression and the person's inability to perform routine daily tasks usually leads to the breakdown of relationships and the ability to stay on top of things financially. The person suffering from depression is in shut-down mode and pushes people away. Depressed people often don't open their mail, pay their bills, take care of their environment, or answer the phone. It is easier torun away and hide from the world because the "world" is too overwhelming and they don't know how to get back on track because they weren't aware they were leaving the track until they are past the point of acute depression. Refrain from judging until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes.
Perhaps I worded it badly...I meant not only depression.

I need no lecturing about depression....I have been there myself - heavily so. I was severely i.e. clinically depressed, i.e. found it suddenly hard to put one foot in front of the other - to walk. So please don't jump to assumptions. (I, too, could take offence but choose not to). I merely made an error in the phrasing that is all. I know full well what depression entails.

That said, I am happy to disclose that this episode in my life was over 30 years ago and, miraculously, I got myself out of it without support (e.g. friends - I had moved away, drugs or therapy). I was taking my degree in psychology at the time and it proved a lifesaver. I now have a firmly ingrained positive mindset.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Thinking a guy hung himself because he had financial trouble, not just depression, is like thinking an alcoholic got drunk because his dog died.

"... genitals through his wallet." was a pretty good line. So was "living isn't for everybody."
Again, not my thinking. I was reporting what was disclosed on the news that is all.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Again, not my thinking. I was reporting what was disclosed on the news that is all.
Don't be so touchy honey. I wasn't casting any aspersions on you. Heck, I don't even know what aspersions are. It's just human nature to look for rational causes for events that have no relation to reason.

By the way, I'm at least as crazy as any of you, and I got papers to prove it.

RIP RW

__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
The only good thing to come of this, is it has people talking and trying to understand the tragedy of suicide.

When I lost my brother 40 yrs ago the subject was taboo. I remember being asked how he died, and if I didn't want to talk about it, I'd say he had been ill for a long time and change the subject. It wasn't a lie, as he had been very ill with depression for years. For the most part in those days, people were looked upon as either being weak or a lunatic for doing such a thing. Sometimes I wonder if that opinion hasn't really changed all that much. For the family that's left behind, the torture of this kind of death goes on forever, both then and now. It is a horrible complicated grief like no other. Sadly, although RW may be resting in peace, his family is in a living hell.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.