"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 AM   #71
Master Chef

The media has used this event to share much of what Williams had accomplished, from TV and movies to charity work with St. Jude's, the Reeves Foundation, and many others. The one that touched me the most was about how much time he spent even after filming or entertaining was officially over. When he would visit the military troops stationed around the world, after the performance he would go to visit with the support personnel who couldn't make it to the show and spend time with each group. Same thing when he was filming "Patch Adams", spending much time with the children in the hospital even when the cameras were not recording.

So much love given to others. It's almost as if he didn't save enough for himself.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #72
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Let's get back to giving our respect back to Robin Williams, his family and each other,. I would be embarrassed trying to explain this thread to him.
I agree.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #73
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I have just heard an expert on Parkinsons disease explain that depression is a part of this illness.

For someone of his inspired/hyperactive brain, and fame, to succumb to this slow and cruelly crippling disease
would have been particularly humiliating.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

According to the National Institutes of Health, there is some scientific disagreement about that.

http://time.com/3112018/robin-willia...se-depression/

I can imagine that for someone struggling with clinical depression, a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease would be devastating.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

This is so sweet (scroll down a bit for the video): Remembering Robin Williams' friendship with Koko the gorilla – Erin Burnett OutFront - - CNN.com Blogs
Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've been observing this thread from its beginning and have seen the assorted ups and downs, backward flips and sideways tangents. I've also been touched more closely than I would have liked by suicide, both by very, very close family members, other slightly more distant family members as well as friends. It's a sorrowful and difficult road.

Now...in my view, instead of trying to analyze why or judge Mr. Williams for what did, perhaps we should do as the title suggests...RIP, Robin Williams.

Rather than second guess and surmise and attack him or each other, let's simply celebrate all he gave us while he was among us and the sizable legacy of talented work he left behind.

Do...rest in peace, Robin Williams.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #77
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Katie H - I think all here appreciate this great man else we would not have contributed to this thread in the first place.

He strikes me as having been exceptionally talented in comedy .... ideas, situations and characters seem to be on inspirational tap! Having done stand up comedy myself, I am in awe of this.

Re. his acting....to me, as mentioned, he was outstanding in the film The Fisher King.

On other sites I am on he is also much celebrated. There will never be another like him.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Katie H - I think all here appreciate this great man else we would not have contributed to this thread in the first place.

He strikes me as having been exceptionally talented in comedy .... ideas, situations and characters seem to be on inspirational tap! Having done stand up comedy myself, I am in awe of this.

Re. his acting....to me, as mentioned, he was outstanding in the film The Fisher King.

On other sites I am on he is also much celebrated. There will never be another like him.
Nicely put, creative. I remember him appearing on Happy Days and then Mork & Mindy when I was a teenager and then with his movie career - he was truly gifted.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #79
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Does anybody think it is selfish to leave your loved ones in such a way? If a person who murders somebody else is hated, despised, guilty of taking them away from their family, why is a person who commits suicide, taking themselves away from their family, celebrated and their memory is showered with love and they become immortalized? Aren't they basically guilty of the same thing.

Not to offend anybody, but I don't get this reaction our society has with people who commit suicide. How we can forgive them for something we wouldn't forgive somebody else for simply because we like them while they were alive. It's like we accept suicide.
I liked his work, but I think what he did was wrong....and inexcusable....

I've read a few articles about how his suicide may give more attention to mental illness. Fair enough. But, I think it should also give attention to hurt and trauma it causes the people who are left behind. Let's be fair and tell both sides of the story...

Don't get me wrong. I liked him as an actor, but I can't excuse what he did. Nobody wants to be the unpopular person by saying anything insensitive, so we all take the sympathetic approach. Not sure it is the best way to deal with this issue.
I understand your point completely Rock. When my brother took his life and I said that this kind of grief is complicated, I meant just that. For the family the normal sadness of the loss is complicated with bewilderment, guilt, protection, and yes, genuine anger. I was furious he had done this to our mother, his children, and all those who valued his life more than he did. It's taken me many years to come to grips with the anger.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The last I heard, Oregon passed a bill for Mercy deaths in cases of debilitating illnesses a few years back. Yea for Oregon.
The rest of this country should look at this and act. This is mercy at its highest degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Present and past students have all said that their favorite piece that Robin ever did was his visit to The Actor's Studio. It was one continuous hour of hilarious laughter. I well remember it. He was at the very pinnacle of his genius that day.
Seems he made a dark room bright and a bright room even brighter.
He was the master at taking the mundane and turning into aching laughter.
He was the best at what he did. That was comedy, not acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I see this behavior on other forums as well. Someone believes they are smarter, better and a trolls prophet.
They don't care if they hurt as long as they have fun and their cronies look up to them.
I don't blame the vehicle, I blame the idiot that trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Does anybody think it is selfish to leave your loved ones in such a way? If a person who murders somebody else is hated, despised, guilty of taking them away from their family, why is a person who commits suicide, taking themselves away from their family, celebrated and their memory is showered with love and they become immortalized? Aren't they basically guilty of the same thing.

Not to offend anybody, but I don't get this reaction our society has with people who commit suicide. How we can forgive them for something we wouldn't forgive somebody else for simply because we like them while they were alive. It's like we accept suicide.
I liked his work, but I think what he did was wrong....and inexcusable....

I've read a few articles about how his suicide may give more attention to mental illness. Fair enough. But, I think it should also give attention to hurt and trauma it causes the people who are left behind. Let's be fair and tell both sides of the story...

Don't get me wrong. I liked him as an actor, but I can't excuse what he did. Nobody wants to be the unpopular person by saying anything insensitive, so we all take the sympathetic approach. Not sure it is the best way to deal with this issue.
Sounds like a religious point of view? The ideology that christians share, that suicide excludes you from heaven.
Ever see the movie "What Dreams May Come"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Robin Williams was immortalized before he committed suicide. His way out was his way out and who am I to judge him for what he thought was best for him.

A shining star is gone from our world, this is very sad, same as if it had been a relative or friend. How he left, does not matter.
Very well said!