RIP, Robin Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It hit me almost as hard as when I heard the news that John Lennon was dead. Different circumstances, but a tragedy none the less.

My fondest memory is when he took over the tonight show. He took it over every time he was on. Even Johnny Carson said he didn't need to be on set when Robin was there. He was the master!

Morbid humor alert!

Fresh Air With Terry Gross ran an interview she did with Robin Williams in 2006. During a small part of the interview about depression he throws out a line about the suicide hot line guy who says that "life isn't for everybody."
Made me smile and tear up at the same time.:(:ermm:

Somewhere saw a video of a comedy club changing their marquee to read:

Robin Williams
Rest In Peace
Make God Laugh
:)

A TV clip was shown from an interview with Robin where he says that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem... :(

He was apparently back on top form again, having recently come out of another rehab.

Billy Connolly, a much acclaimed comedian (well, at least here in UK) has said that the world is a lesser place now that his hero has gone.

No one knows another's demons.

There is no why. Only what is.

Take what they have given you and use it as best you can in your own life.

:angel:

It is so very sad that he fell off the edge of the abyss--that no one was there to pull him away from it and get him the help he needed. The world has lost a great mind. One interview I heard about RW was that his mind worked faster than any mind the person had ever encountered.

Robin Williams' death speaks volumes for the mental health care system. Not enough is done to help those suffering from mental health issues. Perhaps his death will bring about some changes in that area.

Unfortunately, severe depression alters the brain so that one suffering from it is not thinking like one not afflicted with the disease. The alteration is best described as one loses one's ability to think rationally--everything becomes all or nothing. When medication works, the difference in the person's ability to cope can be night and day. As a person who suffers from severe depression with suicidal ideations, I know firsthand what it is like when the medication stops working or when you start having horrific thoughts. Which, at the time, you can't stop or control. Fortunately, I have a wonderful doctor and one who has worked very hard to make sure the medication I take continues to do its job for me. As a time released medication, I am physically sick if I skip a dose. Coping is no longer an hour by hour challenge, but more a day by day challenge.

If you know s/one suffering from depression, don't tell them to get over it, they should do this or should do that. Show compassion and stay close. I am so grateful for my lifeline friends.

However, it was not just depression. The media announced today (at least here in UK) that he told his closest friends that he was close to bankruptcy. He has 2 previous wives to maintain. :(

"Ah, yes, divorce ... from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet." :ohmy:

I just read that he selflessly raised $80m for various charities over the years, including Amnesty International and for families of victims of 9/11, to name a few. :cool:

However, it was not just depression. The media announced today (at least here in UK) that he told his closest friends that he was close to bankruptcy. He has 2 previous wives to maintain. :(
Hard to tell if that was a trigger. I have seen other reports that estimated his net worth at $50 million (including a $35 million house he had put up for sale). Among Hollywood A-Listers, that might be considered "close to bankruptcy," but I think most of us could somehow manage to survive on it.

I can't help but think that a more deciding factor might have been what were considered recent failures: a movie that bombed and was released to VOD, and a promising television series that was cancelled after a single season due to dwindling ratings. That would be a blow to anyone's ego but, for someone who suffered from clinical depression, you have to think it would be devastating.

Another report said he had suffered from "survivor's guilt" for many years after losing several good friends, including John Belushi and Christopher and Dana Reeve.

But of course, it's all speculation. No one can truly get into the mind of another.

He was not maintaining them. They received substantial settlements when they divorced, according to California law. I agree with Steve - it's more likely his career problems that led to this. He was still receiving royalties for TV shows, movies, etc.

His family is well taken care of. If you want a realistic assessment of his finances, check this out: What's Next For Robin Williams' Family And Estate? - Forbes

Last edited:

As mentioned, I just reported on what was disclosed on the news, that's all.

Last edited:
Hard to tell if that was a trigger. I have seen other reports that estimated his net worth at $50 million (including a $35 million house he had put up for sale). Among Hollywood A-Listers, that might be considered "close to bankruptcy," but I think most of us could somehow manage to survive on it.

I can't help but think that a more deciding factor might have been what were considered recent failures: a movie that bombed and was released to VOD, and a promising television series that was cancelled after a single season due to dwindling ratings. That would be a blow to anyone's ego but, for someone who suffered from clinical depression, you have to think it would be devastating.

Another report said he had suffered from "survivor's guilt" for many years after losing several good friends, including John Belushi and Christopher and Dana Reeve.

But of course, it's all speculation. No one can truly get into the mind of another.
There is no way of knowing what was going on in his mind. Triggers--loss of job, loss of loved ones, anticipatory grief, feelings of rejection, etc., etc., etc. Usually, it takes more than one trigger--think of a train wreck--everything falling apart at the same time. Depression with suicidal ideations knows no boundaries when it comes to societal-economic class. It is just very, very sad and heart wrenching. For those battling, it seems as if it as a never ending battle and there is no light at the end of the tunnel and life has no purpose and it is impossible to find hope.

"Ah, yes, divorce ... from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet." :ohmy:

I just read that he selflessly raised $80m for various charities over the years, including Amnesty International and for families of victims of 9/11, to name a few. :cool:
BTW, I take offense at your use of the terms "just depression." The depression leads to the inability to function. There is nothing "just" about it. It is overwhelming and it doesn't happen overnight. Writing "just depression" suggests that your opinion is that he should have been able to "get over it." He wasn't able to "get over it." He was struggling to survive. Getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed can be more than a person suffering from severe depression can face on a daily basis.

Severe depression and the person's inability to perform routine daily tasks usually leads to the breakdown of relationships and the ability to stay on top of things financially. The person suffering from depression is in shut-down mode and pushes people away. Depressed people often don't open their mail, pay their bills, take care of their environment, or answer the phone. It is easier torun away and hide from the world because the "world" is too overwhelming and they don't know how to get back on track because they weren't aware they were leaving the track until they are past the point of acute depression. Refrain from judging until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes.

Last edited:

Thinking a guy hung himself because he had financial trouble, not just depression, is like thinking an alcoholic got drunk because his dog died.

"... genitals through his wallet." was a pretty good line. So was "living isn't for everybody." :)

BTW, I take offense at your use of the terms "just depression." The depression leads to the inability to function. There is nothing "just" about it. It is overwhelming and it doesn't happen overnight. Writing "just depression" suggests that your opinion is that he should have been able to "get over it." He wasn't able to "get over it." He was struggling to survive. Getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed can be more than a person suffering from severe depression can face on a daily basis.

Severe depression and the person's inability to perform routine daily tasks usually leads to the breakdown of relationships and the ability to stay on top of things financially. The person suffering from depression is in shut-down mode and pushes people away. Depressed people often don't open their mail, pay their bills, take care of their environment, or answer the phone. It is easier torun away and hide from the world because the "world" is too overwhelming and they don't know how to get back on track because they weren't aware they were leaving the track until they are past the point of acute depression. Refrain from judging until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes.
Perhaps I worded it badly...I meant not only depression.

I need no lecturing about depression....I have been there myself - heavily so. I was severely i.e. clinically depressed, i.e. found it suddenly hard to put one foot in front of the other - to walk. So please don't jump to assumptions. (I, too, could take offence but choose not to). I merely made an error in the phrasing that is all. I know full well what depression entails.

That said, I am happy to disclose that this episode in my life was over 30 years ago and, miraculously, I got myself out of it without support (e.g. friends - I had moved away, drugs or therapy). I was taking my degree in psychology at the time and it proved a lifesaver. I now have a firmly ingrained positive mindset. :)

Last edited:
Thinking a guy hung himself because he had financial trouble, not just depression, is like thinking an alcoholic got drunk because his dog died.

"... genitals through his wallet." was a pretty good line. So was "living isn't for everybody." :)
Again, not my thinking. I was reporting what was disclosed on the news that is all. :rolleyes:

Again, not my thinking. I was reporting what was disclosed on the news that is all. :rolleyes:
Don't be so touchy honey. I wasn't casting any aspersions on you. Heck, I don't even know what aspersions are. It's just human nature to look for rational causes for events that have no relation to reason.

By the way, I'm at least as crazy as any of you, and I got papers to prove it.

RIP RW

:)

The only good thing to come of this, is it has people talking and trying to understand the tragedy of suicide.

When I lost my brother 40 yrs ago the subject was taboo. I remember being asked how he died, and if I didn't want to talk about it, I'd say he had been ill for a long time and change the subject. It wasn't a lie, as he had been very ill with depression for years. For the most part in those days, people were looked upon as either being weak or a lunatic for doing such a thing. Sometimes I wonder if that opinion hasn't really changed all that much. For the family that's left behind, the torture of this kind of death goes on forever, both then and now. It is a horrible complicated grief like no other. Sadly, although RW may be resting in peace, his family is in a living hell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom