"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #21
Master Chef

I like it when folks fiick their ciggaretts out of the car in front of me. I like picking them up in my yard. I like when they throw any kind of trash out!

Old 01-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
Head Chef

I've actually gotten out at a light, picked up the cigarette butt and handed it back to them, saying, "You dropped something."

The look on their face was *priceless.*

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #23
Master Chef

There is no passing lane in Minnesota, imagine my frusration, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 01-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #24
Master Chef

phinz.... I would love to do that.... flick it back at them. I can only imagine the look they had on their face!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #25
Senior Cook

That's it! I'm on a mission to do that now, Phinz. You know, I think that could really make a difference somehow LOL. If I could convert just one person LOL. I really do want to do that sometime. I'll have to wait until spring when people are driving with their windows down and all.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #26
Senior Cook

O.K. Here I was returning some movies to the rental place. I pull in and park in a decent location. Another car pulls in and not only takes up a handicap spot but also the spot next to it. WTF???!!! I looked for handicap plates or a plackard of which I saw none. I waited for the driver to get out. She was a perfectly healthy woman with two kids. As I walked past her I said in a laughing voice "Wow! Not only did you take up two spots, one of them is a handicap spot. Great idea!" So she says back to me "I'm just going to return some movies." Iwas a bit more miffed at this point. I replied "So did it really save you that much more time to park in the handicap zone? After all, teh spot next to it was only 5 feet away!" I then walked into the store and deposited my movies. As I came out she was taking her kida out of the car as though she was going in to spend some time in the store. I calmly walked up to her and explained my discontent for people parking in the handicap zone illegally. I recently lost my mother to a brain tumor. She was sick for almost a year and required a handicap plate. I told her that it was people like her that really make me sick. "What if it were my mother that needed that spot? Is it really so important for you to save 10 steps only to return a movie?"

Needless to say, she then felt pretty bad. Good!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Home chef

Boy, that took some courage! Explaining yourself and your reasons really hit home to me. If she would only put herself in your shoes, how would she feel about her own mother and someone doing that to her? I feel that people are not teaching their kids respect, discipline, and giving them t he attention they need. An apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The people today think mostly of themselves and forget about you. Since everyone drives it is more obvious about courtesy. I applaud you and hope I can do the same to make an impression on someone. If she had children I am sure you were impressing on them of what their mother should have done. Don't worry she will think about this. Who would want to tell someone about this incident? That would only make the matter worse. I personally thank you for taking the time to explain why you said the things you did. The handicap places are open because others are considerate These are my own personal feelings and should be practiced by all. Thanks for sharing Home chef.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #28
Master Chef

It seems as the years go by, folks are in a bigger hurry (for what I do not know and often catch myself using this same mentality), they are ruder... wether it be in their cars or in person. Can't tell you how many times I have held the door for someone only to have that person waltz by like I was a Doorman for Hilton and not say "thankyou". Or the person in front of me lets the door slam in my face. It really makes it hard to put your kindness out there.... it is taken for granted, stepped on, chewed up and spat out! Road rage is a biggie... folks lose their cool over nothing.

I was driving to work one morning and noticed this big black Yukon suburban type vehicle weaving dangerously in and out of traffic. OH, the best part... his licenens plate had the words "TO COCKY" on it... go figure? Anyhow, despite his constant weaving and efforts to get ahead, I end up beside him and all I can think of is that I want to get past this dude or something. As I was beside him, he tried to change lanes and almost ran me off the road. Then flipped me off as though it were my fault for being there. I hit the gas and managed to put a couple of cars between us... this dude was obviously irritated. Then I see this red light in my rear view mirror.... I look back and realize what is happening... that crazy mofo is aiming a gun at me! I slouched down in my seat, downshifted and got the heck out of there! I lost him. When I got to work, I called the local police department and reported the incident to them. 4 hours later, I get a call from the police department and they had apprehended the guy! They said that the information that I gave them was great for nabbing this guy... when they did catch up with him, they surronded this guy like a fugitive with their weapons drawn and made him exit the vehicle. Then said this guy was scared poopless! He had 3 guns in his front seat! (What kinda nut carries around that kinda fire power?) The police told me not to worry, that I would be safe from him at least. Then we went to court because he denied aiming the gun at me, so they asked my how I knew he was aiming a gun, I said you see it on the movies all of the time.... you see the red dot on your forehead, you about to be shot! He pleaded guilty and got his guns taken away and his gun permit revoked. Talk about a good ending eh?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #29
Executive Chef

sattie

You made my day! Only I am sorry you had to be the one to experience this. Is this right? It seems the law worked for you this time. We had our truck stolen. We reported t he license to the police. They got them. When we got to the station the cop asked if we were sure we wanted to take it any further due to the length of the rap sheet they had on these guys. Wanted for murder, kidnapping, domestic disturbance, et c. After seeing some of these warrants we were scared to death about what wo uld happen. We took the truck repaired it ourselves and just considered it lesson learned. If the police worry about the outcome should we chance it? But having a gun pointed at you is another thing entirely. Things are just getting out of hand with driving. It is a privilege to drive and people don't honor it that way. They abuse everything. Iam sure t hankful you respond and let me know you feel the same way I do. Ot hers seem to remain oblivious to it or just don't feel it is necessary to notice it . Thanks sattie for sharing horrible experience. I am thankful turned out in your favor. Maybe got the nut off t he road or gave him pause to think.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #30
Executive Chef

My sister has polymyalgia rheumatica and can't walk any distance. Because of this, she was issued a handicap permit. When I'm with her, I'm always thankful that I don't need one and am able to walk wherever I need to go. I see some very arrogant people using the parking places without batting an eyelash. I always hope for a patrol car to be near. The fine here (maybe it is all over the country) is $250 to park in a handicap spot unauthorized.