Rocky's lullabye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Rocky, the rooster, got attacked by something 10 days ago. He has been "in hospital" in a Vari300 dog kennel in the basement. I have been taking him out of the crate to examine his wounds every day.

I took him out his crate tonight--actually--he took himself out of the crate when I tried to wrap him in the towel. I had to chase him around the basement and corner him. He's definitely active. Once caught, I wrapped him in the towel and brought him upstairs and rocked him in the rocking chair and sang to him.

"Hush little Rocky, go to sleep, as long as I'm here, your soul to keep...
Hush little Rocky, you are safe, as long as I'm here...
Hush-hush, don't worry, no foxes are there...
Cliff is outside, and I've got you right here...hush, hush, little Rocky...go to sleep, go to sleep."

Okay, not the best lullabye, but I don't have a lot of experience singing lullabyes to roosters.

It took awhile, but he closed his eyes and rested his head on my shoulder and went to sleep. I might tame him yet.Once he was relaxed and asleep, I put him back in his crate.

His wounds look good. He was warm...but not overly so. I'll check him again in the morning.

Hush, hush, little Rocky, go to sleep...

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN?

Last edited:
Rocky, the rooster, got attacked by something 10 days ago. He has been "in hospital" in a Vari300 dog kennel in the basement. I have been taking him out of the crate to examine his wounds every day.

I took him out his crate tonight--actually--he took himself out of the crate when I tried to wrap him in the towel. I had to chase him around the basement and corner him. He's definitely active. Once caught, I wrapped him in the towel and brought him upstairs and rocked him in the rocking chair and sang to him.

"Hush little Rocky, go to sleep, as long as I'm here, your soul to keep...
Hush little Rocky, you are safe, as long as I'm here...
Hush-hush, don't worry, no foxes are there...
Cliff is outside, and I've got you right here...hush, hush, little Rocky...go to sleep, go to sleep."

Okay, not the best lullabye, but I don't have a lot of experience singing lullabyes to roosters.

It took awhile, but he closed his eyes and rested his head on my shoulder and went to sleep. I might tame him yet.Once he was relaxed and asleep, I put him back in his crate.

His wounds look good. He was warm...but not overly so. I'll check him again in the morning.

Hush, hush, little Rocky, go to sleep...

Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN?

Thanks CWS. Sounds like you have won Rocky over. Shhh! :sleep: Soon he will be following you around just like the girls do. :sleep: :angel:

One of the first dogs I ever rescued was in whelp. I had no experience with puppies, but my mom, an RN who had worked in the neonatal unit at one point, told me to hold the puppies and rock them. I did. The one puppy that ended up staying with us would climb in my lap (all 110 lb of him) until he could no longer do so (about the age of 12) every day at 4 o'clock to be rocked. I guess if it worked for him, it might work for Rocky. He seems to like it. I know, he's just a rooster, but he is my rooster and I feel responsible for his well being and safety. I had a baby goat when I was in HS. I used to rock him too.

Last edited:
One of the first dogs I ever rescued was in whelp. I had no experience with puppies, but my mom, an RN who had worked in the neonatal unit at one point, told me to hold the puppies and rock them. I did. The one puppy that ended up staying with us would climb in my lap (all 110 lb of him) until he could no longer do so (about the age of 12) every day at 4 o'clock to be rocked. I guess if it worked for him, it might work for Rocky. He seems to like it. I know, he's just a rooster, but he is my rooster and I feel responsible for his well being and safety. I had a baby goat when I was in HS. I used to rock him too.

I think the towel had a calminig effect. Just like it does with puppies during a storm. :angel:

The towel is to immobilize him and protect me from his spurs! The same way that wrapping a cat in towel or putting a muzzle on a dog works. The swaddling technique definitely calms me.

CWS...

Attachments

• mother hen.JPG
    mother hen.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 32
:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I think my Avitar needs to be updated! You guys have made my day. And Snip, I'm obsessive about my girls and, although Rocky and I have had our differences, I feel awful that he got attacked and am glad that he has survived. Our experience with hens, once they get hurt or sick, they die. I guess he's made of tougher stuff.

Last edited:
Didn't mean it in a bad way, just can't picture anyone rocking a chicken to sleep. The thought just makes me giggle!

Well done for getting it right though Mama Hen (CW) :)

You are right Snip. The thought does make one giggle. When I worked with 4-H kids, one of the things farm kids learn real early in life is; "Never name a farm animal." It will either be sold or end up on the dinner table. CWS's girls know that they will be staying right where they are at. They all have names and have given all of us much laughter and joy. We all look forward to hearing the stories about their adventures. :angel:

The two Golden Sex Link chicks are named: Pearl and Opal. Pearl is pale yellow-white, Opal is the same but has a small black spot on her back. The Black Sex Link chick is Gizabelle (which probably wasn't a great choice--it means loose lady) and the baby PR is Giselle since they arrived together.

The two Golden Sex Link chicks are named: Pearl and Opal. Pearl is pale yellow-white, Opal is the same but has a small black spot on her back. The Black Sex Link chick is Gizabelle (which probably wasn't a great choice--it means loose lady) and the baby PR is Giselle since they arrived together.

Well those chicks are safe. They are now officially named. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom