Roger Ebert dies at 70 after battle with cancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Siskel and Ebert was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. I learned a lot from those two guys arguing with each other. RIP Roger.

when the video of him with his jaw support was on tv tonight during the evening news, i paused it to show dw what can happen to people who smoke.

when the video of him with his jaw support was on tv tonight during the evening news, i paused it to show dw what can happen to people who smoke.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Roger Ebert smoked. He had thyroid cancer that they thought may have been caused by radiation treatment he had as a child.

"Look, I hate smoking. It took my parents from me, my father with lung cancer, my mother with emphysema. They both liked Luckies. When my dad's cancer was diagnosed, they played it safe and switched to Winstons. When my mother was breathing oxygen through a tube, she'd take out the tube, turn off the oxygen, and light up. I avoid smokers. It isn't allowed in our house. When I see someone smoking, it feels like I'm watching them bleed themselves, one drip at a time." - Roger Ebert

Good quote.

thanks, steve, i didn't know that. someone at work said it was from smoking.

i still got to make a good point to dw, though. it sounds like roger would have agreed.

r.i.p..

Siskel & Ebert were quite the team. Siskel passed on in the late 90s (as I recall) suffering a cancerous brain tumor, but passing from previous surgery at 53. I think they teamed up for reviews at the Chicago Sun Times. I never met Ebert, but recall when Siskel came into my office & overtook my phone & desk. LOL. They both will be missed.

Last edited:
He was a true example of courage in the face of great challenges, and always with good humor. Imagine being able to carry on with never being able to speak or eat again. Two thumbs up to you Roger and RIP.

Back
Top Bottom