Roomba - Robot Vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Gb I don't. My bf's aunt has one. Not sure of the model but she likes it. I think it would be annoying after awhile.

I bought a Roomba, when it first came out. I liked it but, it did not hold a charge & did not come with a charging station. It died w/i the first year.

I have an I-Robot now, and am very pleased. It has a charging station, so it's always ready to go (along w a remote & virtual walls). The only down side is, imo, it is notas sturdy as the Roomba, & doesn't go over my area rug (I have to lift it) - but, no biggie. Didn't get the programmable model, as I didn't see much of a need to pay a higher price for a function I don't need. I have had to replace the brush (my long hair somehow get's tangeled up in the bristles. Again, no biggie, as I bought another brush on ebay for a few $. For me, it's worth every penny. I have a backup vac, but haven't had to use it.

Last edited:
How is the volume level mish? Are they loud?

I do't know anything about I-Robot so I will have to go look at those. Thanks :)

I have an early Roomba--the best I can say about it is that it is cute.

It takes longer to empty all the little dust pans, clean the brush and the filter than it would to acutally do the vaccuuming.

You also have to pick up all the cords and rugs with fringes, and then "rescue" the little guy when he gets stuck, which happens a lot in my house.

GB said:
How is the volume level mish? Are they loud?

I do't know anything about I-Robot so I will have to go look at those. Thanks :)

Never thought about the volume. No louder than a vacuum cleaner. You can set it down in an unoccupied room and close the door - or leave the house. It will get stuck if it's trapped between furniture - so I use while at home.

I prefer it to a vac because - it's light weight & small, can be stored any where, no bags & broken belts. I don't mind emptying a dust cup, tapping on the filter & a little internal cleaning. I was surprised at the dust that was picked up. It will go under the bed & places hard to reach w a vac & clean up any crumbs/particles on the floors. It will do everything it claims to do, and go along the baseboard.

The first, roomba, I bought at Bed B&B or Linens & things w the 20% off coupon. The I-robot (I have now), I bought on ebay - NEW & from a dealer that sells their products. It's a matter of convenience, for me. I had a Hoover that was as old as Hoover :LOL: It did an excellent job, but too heavy for me.

An improvement I would like to see, is a better brush. The bristles are a little flimsy.

You could buy one from a BB&B or Linens & Things & try it out for a few days. Keep the receipt & if you're not pleased, you can return it.

Last edited:
I just saw yesterday that they now have a pool cleaning robot. I am curious to know if anyone knows anything about those too.

Bumping an old thread for more opinions...:angel:

Cool. I didn't see this thread the first time around.

I just received an ad for a Roomba the other week. The 580 I think. Use it for 30 days free....
I went to Amazon and read reviews on the older models and the opinions seem to be split. I am a bit neglectful when it comes to vacuuming, and with three dogs and a cat I am always picking up "tumbleweeds" that make it onto a hard floor.
I called Roomba about the ad and of course they wanted to ship me one instead of answer my questions. My main concern was these half thresholds I have where a rug meets a hard floor. The kind that fold over the rug's edge. They said the Roomba would not be able to get over the bump.
Still, if I could set it to do one room every night as I went to bed.....

I have a roomba Sage 4100. And 2 dogs and 3 cats.
The little beast picks up pet hair quite nicely!
If I am more than 2 rooms away, I rarely hear it running.
I can run it 2 times (big living room and kitchen, no carpets)
before I need to recharge.

The new models (5000 series) have bigger dustbins, better programming,
better edge sweeping brushes, and supposedly don't get tangled in cords.

Drawback with pets is that I have to clean the roller brushes fairly often.
But that is much better then vacuuming.

If you are anal about your vacuuming, don't get a Roomba. If you are happy
with a good not great job... you will love them. I highly recommend a charging
station.

Oh, I have a Scooba too. It is the floor mopping model. Love it too.

And I-Robot, maker of roombas, has superb customer service. My Scooba
battery died... they sent me a new one and a program update to improve
battery life.
My Roomba died 5 days outside the warranty and they still sent me a new
one. Supposedly both issues have been fixed in the newer models.

edit to add: My model goes from hardwood floor to area rug with no problems. It regularly bumps
itself over a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch metal bar at the bottom of a chair too. Gets stuck on that
occasionally.
So if you get a 30 day free trial, it would be (IMHO) worth it.

For pet owners, you need to pre-clean once, then run the beast at least every other day
to keep the tumblehairs away.!

Last edited:
I just saw yesterday that they now have a pool cleaning robot. I am curious to know if anyone knows anything about those too.

We have the Maxi Vac for our inground pool. Only thing I don't like about it , it takes so long to do the whole pool.

I would not mind if it took a long time. I would set it up in the morning before work and let it go all day. I will not be buying one anytime soon though. the ones that are worth it seem to be around $1,000 and I am not spending that much money on one.

I would not mind if it took a long time. I would set it up in the morning before work and let it go all day. I will not be buying one anytime soon though. the ones that are worth it seem to be around $1,000 and I am not spending that much money on one.

We got ours 20 yrs ago so it wasn't $1000 . They probably make better ones now too. The pool has not be opened for 4 yrs. because hubby didn't feel like doing the work. I've been hinting to him that I would like the pool opened this year... but he seems to have suffered a selective hearing loss.

Questa max-I-vac / TurboSweep
link shows the pool vac we have, the old one which is white.

That's some good info GF!

It might be a free trial, but I don't want to take the time to figure the thing out, only to find it doesn't work well enough to justify the cost. Sounds like it may do the job though according to your post.
The one model is $500 and the other $300 for either the 580 or 530 model.... that's a lotta bucks to lay down, but if I can cut down on the dust it would be well worth it. I just don't get it. I can vacuum and dust and the next day I have dust on everything again. Such is the life with carpetting and dogs that run around I guess, but if vacuuming everyday (the Roomba of course) will eliminate my dust battle. Well worth it IMO.

I'm finding all the different model numbers a little bit confusing. I know that a group of them will be similar with subtle differences (meaning they will make a base model and add/subtract some accessories and give each a different model #). I'm also not sure where the cut-off is for the new versions versus the older ones.

Back
Top Bottom