Rosh Hashanah question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
The Chaunaka thread reminded me of this.

Why do Jewish folk build huts on their property once a year? They're only up for a week or so.

That actually is for the holiday of Sukkot, not Rosh Hashana, although the two do have some things to do with each other. Sukkot is the holiday that celebrates the havest.

The Sukkah is a temporary structure in which you are supposed to eat your meals. It must be temporary and I think the roof is also supposed to be open so you can see the stars. The roof also is supposed to be made of organic matter, but the walls can be made of anything.

So you just eat in those things? I don't get it. The first time I saw one, I thought someone was DIYing an addition to their house then the building inspector came by and told them to tear it down.

My friends said that they are required to "dwell" in it for a week, but that just taking meals in it would fulfill the minimum requirements of that. If the weather is fine and the bugs are down, his kids love sleeping in it, too!

David, nice site, explains prety much everything. I especially like the part when they make conection between the passover and the Sukkoth. The main and the most important reason of the Holyday.

Back
Top Bottom