"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Indian food is sooooooooooooo good!

Yes, it was ridiculously unprofessional. I guess I just wanted to mention the no-plate thing because at least that part of it could really have just been a culture thing. I had to laugh (because it wasn't me experiencing it) that she only brought two after you asked for plates though. What would you do with just two plates?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
As for leftovers, doesn't bother me either way. They can box it or I can box it, no big deal to me. Since I don't treat anyone rudely during my stay, I don't think I have much to worry about. If I have to send something back, I do so politely and apologetically and they never seem to mind. I don't make excessive demands on the wait staff, but if I need to get their attention I do so politely. Again, what I think of them is voiced in the tip at the end of the night, not loudly while seated at a table.
Not sure I like the implication that how I ask for things is rude. I can be as nice as possible but I won't accept food twice. I just won't. I worked in a restaurant and if anyone ever sent anything back, you really don't want to know what we did to it, didn't matter why but if it had to do with how it was cooked, you wouldn't want what the guys sent you back. I've held that image in my mind for 25 years and it's why I don't accept substitutes unless a plate shows up with something I'm allergic to or just can't stand the sight of, like cold slaw. I'm just too used to the mentality where even a simple request is an annoyance no matter how it's asked. Unless you are adding to your bill, i.e. another beer, I know many waitresses that think you're making "demands" and that includes asking for extra or different sauce for your calamari. Asking them to box your food? No way. Just never going to happen no matter how polite I am or how much I tip.

As for the pennies. With the advent of the Coin Star Machines, pennies wouldn't bother my friends. They'll take what they get and move on to the next person.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

I did not read Mavs post as implying your were being rude. I read it as since you are not rude then you have nothing to worry about. I guess it is just a different way to look at it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Always, a large part of my vacations are based on good dining experiences, as I don't eat out much at home.
So I would have been disappointed too, Larry.
Although I have more options, not being a vegan.
Eating "off-hours", can sometimes be a bummer, but I like to chat with locals, if the place is slow and quiet.
Becoming more familiar with your server sometimes helps.
As far as them or me putting leftovers in containers, no matter to me, and have had both happen.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #35
Master Chef

I like quicksilver and Mav's responses. In any dining experience, I believe you need to be polite, calm, and professional when it comes to dealing with bad service/food. No need to get all bent out of shape and make a scene. If it is not a total disaster, we will wait till the end of the meal and have a chat with the manager. Sometimes we chat with the manager to let them know what a great job they did.

Quicksilver... we do alot of off-hours eating and do frequent the same resturants. We know the managers and wait staff and have rarely gotten bad service or food. And if something was amiss... I felt comfortable enough to mention it.

Larry.. sorry about the experience that you had, sounds like you did the best you could with it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I did not read Mavs post as implying your were being rude. I read it as since you are not rude then you have nothing to worry about. I guess it is just a different way to look at it.
I guess since he emphasized the I in his post, it implied to me that he wasn't rude and I was, or he assumed I was. My experience is with having friends that are wait staff and having been a bartender. I can be as polite as possible, but I just don't accept replacements or demand above and beyond general service at the locations that serve food I enjoy. Let's just say Outback is as fancy aka expensive as I enjoy and that's because I like the Bloomin' Onion. I'm cheap and prefer wings at the bar over a 4 star restaurant. The food's just as good at the bar as it is at any froo froo restaurant I've ever been to. If I want great food, I'll cook it myself. I grew up on take out, the corner Chinese food place, and hole in the wall Mexican restaurants. I'll take that over 4 stars any day.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #37
Head Chef

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/ny...=1&oref=slogin

About the pennies thing, last year a chinese restaurant refused a mans payment because he paid with 10 pennies instead of a dime. It was a bizarre scene. The interviewed the restaurant woman who refused the pennies on the news and she was crying and demanding she didnt do this. It was a crazy scene. read the article, and ill see if i can find it on youtube. Actually, she kinda looks a lot like the woman we had the other day.

Different video, but actually kinda funny and clever
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #38
Master Chef

That is crazy!!! Over pennies!!! Heck I pick up pennies all the time and spend them!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #39
Sous Chef

I paid for my kid to get into the zoo the other day with pennies.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've heard of places not taking pennies, but I have also heard that that is illegal. I'm not sure, and it would be a pain taking pennies to pay for a car or something, but 10 pennies instead of a dime? That's ridiculous!

Barbara