"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Ok.... So my plan is to pull everything except the snowfix & chives in tomorrow night. It's supposed to be in the 70s again and the palms really need the sunlight. They get very little in the house. I might also leave the big planters of violas outside too.

Thanks so much for all of the advice... next year I just need to wait a while longer!! It's just so hard when it's warm and sunny... and the neighborhood is gray... and it just takes a few flowers to brighten it up!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Master Chef

Here the tradition is that you do NOT plant before Mothers' Day! And Woe Be It On Your Head if you do and jinx the rest of us! I did buy one of those mini-greenhouses so I can start some of my own plants. And spinach can go in early. Chives are up.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
Sous Chef

All good information.
Protect what you can and bring the rest inside.
The temps shouldn't stay down too long. You should be okay.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
Sous Chef

My general rule of thumb is find out what the Average Date of Last Frost is for your zone and add exactly 1 week.

In my zone, that date of last frost + 1 week = average date when night-time temperatures remain above 55ºf which is the reccomended minimum for Tomatoes and Peppers. :)

Once I can put my tomatoes out, it's safe to put everything else out (and I've had to drag 12 seven gallon pots full of tomatoes into the house for a week to watch TV due to a cold snap :D)

Tomatoes watching TV during a cold-snap (Spring 2005)

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Head Chef

Whatever you do, don't use plastic to cover any of your plants. That's a disaster. (I know from experience)
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Why is that Lyndalou?

Our forecast says that Saturday night, it will be in the 20s. We had planned on putting some old shower curtains over the garden.

Should we just use sheets?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #17
Executive Chef

It is our experience that whatever the NWS forecasts, that we receive from 3 to 5 degrees lower than their prediction. ANd today, they have revised their forecast to a low of 23 degrees F. I still have painful memories of May 20 and 21 2006 when we experienced much lower than predicted temperatures. Don't remember what we got, but it was a hard freeze and I lost most of my tomato plants. I covered most of the potato plants and they survived. Right now I have one apple and plum tree in full bloom. The apple tree is too big to cover and the plum tree has a brand new birds nest in it, so I will not bother the plum tree. I plan to cover my newly germinated spinach plants and the overwintered spinach, celery and parsley plants. And I haven't even started my tomato, pepper and annual flowers yet!!

Established perennials will be okay with this upcoming cold weather. What this thread is concerned with is the killing of plants. Perennials will not be killed, just maybe set back a bit.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #18
Head Chef

I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't work to cover plants with plastic, but I do know that we lost some when we used old shower curtains once.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #19
Executive Chef

The WIND !

Anyone else getting the winds with this new front moving in?? We have predicted gusts up to 35 MPH for the next 4 days. Right now the temp is 45*F with the wind chill factor 37*F (7*C/3*C). This will really complicate keeping bed clothes on the plants! And again, the NWS has dropped the predicted low on Friday, to 20*F.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #20
Executive Chef

When I went outside this morning, there were branches all over the yard and many things were knocked over on the deck.

In fact, I woke up in the middle of the night when the blinds were blowing so badly that I had to close the windows. It was then that I realized it was pouring rain.