Ruh Roh! Gardening Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never use plastic to cover your plants unless you can suspend it (over supports) so that no portion of the plant touches the plastic itself. The reason plastic doesn't work if it's touching the plants is because the plastic conducts the outside temperature to whatever it's touching.

So, unless you can keep the plastic completely off of the plants, your best bets are frost-protective plant row covers, sheets, lightweight blankets, or even several thicknesses of newspaper (if you can keep them weighted down).

Thanks Breezy! Guess I'll start gathering up sheets and bricks for this weekend.

I just took some pictures of our flowering crabapples. Do not know what will happen to them with the upcoming cold weather. Local news is predicting fruit trees in flower will have their little flowers killed.

Attachments

• DSCF0019 (3).JPG
    DSCF0019 (3).JPG
    251 KB · Views: 163
I'm glad I was able to see my azaleas in full bloom before the cold blast hits us.

We are under a freeze warning here tonight so I am busting out the old sheets later. Its a shame that we are getting a freeze because all of the flowering trees and spring flowers look so pretty. Even magnolia trees are blooming here - and their flowers will get frozen tonight.

One upon a time I lived just at the freeze line in Florida. We didn't get a heavy frost every year, but every few years one would hit. I used old bed sheets to cover vulnerable plants. Here I just don't plant until there's no chance of a heavy frost. BUT ... I think I lost my daffodils, and the tulips aren't looking real great after yesterday, either.

Back
Top Bottom