Rutts Hut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
I just watched a program on "deep fried foods" and they featured a place (in NJ I think) Where they deep fry hot dogs! I know my palette isn't as sophisticated as most but to me this was pure GENIUS!!! I can't believe I'm just now hearing about this!! Anyone ever eat there??

My brother went there. I am not sure if it is the exact same place, but he reaved about deep fried dogs from a place in Jersey.

i've been there a million times. deep fried dogs are awesome! :pig:

when properly done (imo), they're called rippers because the skin tears as they fry.

Rutt-Pair.jpg

Rutt-DogsRelish.jpg

some people like them just barely fried, called an "in and outer", and some people get them cooked until burnt, called a "cremator".

the only condiment available is their homemade relish. normally, i can't stand relish, but their's is very good. the pictures don't do it justice as it sort of has a neon green-ish yellow color, and just looks cool on the dog.

I just watched a program on "deep fried foods" and they featured a place (in NJ I think) Where they deep fry hot dogs! I know my palette isn't as sophisticated as most but to me this was pure GENIUS!!! I can't believe I'm just now hearing about this!! Anyone ever eat there??
oh memories.. back in the 60's I used to get deep fried hot dogs from Frankie's near Palisades Amusement Park in NJ.

there's a few places around north jersey that deep fry their dogs, but rutt's is the most famous.

btw, it's sort of on the corner of route's 3 and 21, but it's one of those "you can't get there from here" kinda places.
you can see it from the highways, but you have to take the exit before you see it (from either direction. go figure, it's jersey...) and take a local road to it.

buckytom, those pictures have inspired me to dust off the deep fryer (as soon as Mrs Smoke King goes to bed!!):LOL:

Yum!!

Thanks for bringing this up, smoke. I saw that episode a couple weeks ago and had forgotten all about it.

My mother used to deep fry hot dogs (cut up) and potatoes, toss in a brown bag and Voila!

Interesting. With all the wonderful recipes and exceptional cooking skills most of you have mastered, it does my heart good (no pun intended) to see such keen interest and rave reviews of something as simple, and artery clogging, as a deep fried hot-dog!!

I will try these at home-I think they are within my limited skill set, but I'll have to slip Mrs Smoke King some tylenol PM first-if she caught me eating deep fried hot dogs she'd have me at the cardiologist the very same day!!! :LOL:

But just so we're clear-I am not whipped!!!

Back
Top Bottom