Sad and Pathetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both my hubby and my side of the family decided not to exchange this year, although I will be doing baskets with cookies and other things I know they like thats all we are doing. We will have a big dinner though.

This is a sad commentary on the state of our morals and priorities. The so-called "Black Friday" is a phenomenon created by the malls and stores across America, and we the people have bought into it with all of our heart and soul. I wonder what would happen if Walmart and other stores said that there would no longer be Black Friday sales - just have them online starting immediately after Thanksgiving dinner.

This is a sad commentary on the state of our morals and priorities. The so-called "Black Friday" is a phenomenon created by the malls and stores across America, and we the people have bought into it with all of our heart and soul. I wonder what would happen if Walmart and other stores said that there would no longer be Black Friday sales - just have them online starting immediately after Thanksgiving dinner.

I tried getting into Sears yesterday (to see if our new fridge was on sale for less).

Internal server error, site not working.

Probably would save someone from being trampled to death! Imagine what the guy must have thought. Never would have believed that people were so cruel. Every news program i listened to since this happened, starts out with this incident. Don't they just like to dwell on things that are out of ordinary? Some girl I know told me she fell down at airport when they were getting off plane, they walked right over her never helped her up. Thanks goodness wasn't some kind of sale on airline tickets! How gross. Like I have all told you, I'll take my dogs any day over people.

Sorry but I know they would have compassion if I fall down.

that is really sad and pathetic

i don't ever go shopping the day after thanksgiving nor the day after christmas

but then we just bought a brand new home and we're gonna be pretty busy paying for it over ext twenty years

Here in Lynchburg we had two instances at the WalMart...one where a customer bit an employee and another where a customer was bleeding from their neck from getting trampled. Christmas is a time for goodwill towards others...some people have a very strange way of showing that!

Not only was one employee trampled to death but a pregnant woman miscarried and others were injured as well. The story made me sick, too, Barbara.

Not only was one employee trampled to death but a pregnant woman miscarried and others were injured as well. The story made me sick, too, Barbara.
Some employees thought she had lost the baby, but fortunately (according to the article above and the one I read) she was taken to the hospital and both she and the baby are fine, thank goodness.

One note about the Toys 'R' Us incident mentioned above--it had nothing to do with shopping. They knew each other and shot each other when their wives/girlfriends/whatever started punching each other. Like someone in the article I read said, they both went into the store with guns and obviously weren't just casual shoppers. Fortunately, in that case, the only ones shot were the two who had the guns and were shooting each other.

:huh:Barbara

Both my hubby and my side of the family decided not to exchange this year, although I will be doing baskets with cookies and other things I know they like thats all we are doing. We will have a big dinner though.
Yep. that's us, too. I don't want my kids spending money that they could put to good use for their own bills. We are just buying for the little kids. I've always spent like crazy person because I'm really good at finding that great gift that people really love. Even if I couldn't really afford it, I would buy it anyway and loved seeing people opening their presents. It's going to be really weird not having tons of presents under the tree, and I'm not sure how it will feel not having anything to open, but I'll get used to it. I always do nice stockings for everyone, and I'll do that again. Our kids were so relieved when my husband said no presents this year. It's not that they don't want to buy things for us and each other, but they can't do anymore credit card debt. We'll be putting our thinking caps on for ways to make the holidays special without the shopping and spending craziness.

we are trimming down in our family as well. i'm doing the great grandbabies, and maybe my seventeen year old granddaughter. that's it. might, just might make goodies for the other older ones, but will not be a tray, just one thing. batch of cookies, or fudge.
i never have used credit cards. so if i don't have it, i don't buy it. now if anyone wants to give me a new computer for christmas, i wouldn't turn it down. lol

on 12 o'clock news last night, they said they are looking at film of what happened at the Wal Mart store. They said they are wanting to identify customers to prosecute? How can this be? I thought Wal Mart would be responsible?

on 12 o'clock news last night, they said they are looking at film of what happened at the Wal Mart store. They said they are wanting to identify customers to prosecute? How can this be? I thought Wal Mart would be responsible?

Just because you want a good deal at Wal-Mart, doesn't discharge you from abiding by all laws - I think if you stepped or shoved someone down, then yes, you should be questioned and/or prosecuted.

WM doesn't bare the sole responsiblity for this - although they are certainly culpable and should have provided adequate security and crowd control. The human beings (shoppers) are the ones who didn't act humanely.

I dont live to far from the walmart in question.

I personally hate the holiday season becuase of all this. People are crazy lunatics and they never think about the season and jsut be a nice person. The holidays are totally going immoral and losing there meaning more and more each year.

Walmart should be held responsible along with all those lunatics who didnt even stop to help the guy up. this all could have been so easily avoided if people were civil human beings.

I really think that these black friday sales should be banned. It takes away resources from law enforcement and causes nothing problems and all for what. you saved 5% off what ever you were buying? in the grand scheme of things. is it really worth it.

As far as gift giving this year and past years ive been trying to make it easier and easier every year and making it more about the holiday spirit then the gift giving. With our freinds we used to do a secret santa but last year we all donated to First Candle in the name of our Freinds child loss. (To make a donation: https://www.z2systems.com/np/clients/fc/donation.jsp) (The site Individual Giving)

With my parents and siblings we do a secret santa and we do a secret santa and grab bag with my in laws (grab bag is loads of fun) and thats all.

keep it simple and enjoyable. Keeping it real and jsut enjoying each others company

I just had a terrible thought, pardon me for opening up but I need someone's insight.

Whenever I have to go traveling, the people just seem to want to run over each other when boarding. My friend told me she fell down when she returned from trip and no one stopped to help her up, just walked around her. If this incident which is in the news since it happened, if nothing is done about this, do you think if it happens other places that they will just accept it? This is really scary. What will happen to people if they are not able to walk as fast as others? I am thankful they are bringing attention and do want to punish the ones who pushed the guy down.

thanks for your response. We have to tolerate road rage and cell phones which is scary enough. Only my opinion.

This morning it was reported the 'employee' was a security guard ... That opens a new dimension to this ...

WHen I was a kid Christmas was a magical time with the lights, decorations, sounds and smells.WHen I went shopping it wa with Dad and for a couple of hours at a time, at most. The 'experience' was over before it began.

Then I got older, and then I got my drivers license. I was taller so I could see more and I could spend more time in the stores.

I think I was 17 or 18 when the truth of retail Christmas hit me. I can still remember the long moment when I realized Retail Christmas was a scam. Heck, could say it was the moment I realized the truth behind Marketing etal.

Now IF I give a gift it's because of utility and something that person probably wouldn't cough up for themselves. Between Wife and I we get things for the house, this year it was a refrigerator, last year a bed (and dSLR and computer but those were more business items).

A couple of years after Wife and I married we decided to give gifts at Epiphany. What we found was once the urge to spend was resisted at Christmas (extended family pressures) a more rational approach can be taken for Epiphany. So much so that we have talked ourselves out of buying anything for the last decade or so, and the price slashing after Christmas can take some real discipline to resist.

Wart

Isn't it amazing how wise we get the older we get? You write about much wisdom you've received in your life. May it continue as our days go by. thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom