"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Master Chef

Oh no!! How sad for this man and his family. That is why I will NEVER go to black friday. I saw how people act in the parking lot, I'm NOT about to go IN!
Bless him and his family. This is a horrible thing to read about!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
Master Chef

There are two days of the year when I do NOT leave the property - the day after Thanksgiving & the day after Xmas. There is absolutely NO bargain, NO gift, NO enticement period that could get me to join the crowds of jackasses who consider these days a subhuman sports event.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

this whole thing about shopping bothers me when the economy is supposedly in bad shape. When people are being laid off, how can t hey afford to spend for shopping? My neighbors are all laid off and today they are decorating more than they have in the past. I truly don't understand how people continue to shop with everyone needing canned goods and shelters having more people showing up than before. In my opinion, I am not spending anything this Christmas except for food.

Am I the only odd one who thinks this way? I t ruly don't understand.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
this whole thing about shopping bothers me when the economy is supposedly in bad shape. When people are being laid off, how can t hey afford to spend for shopping? My neighbors are all laid off and today they are decorating more than they have in the past. I truly don't understand how people continue to shop with everyone needing canned goods and shelters having more people showing up than before. In my opinion, I am not spending anything this Christmas except for food.

Am I the only odd one who thinks this way? I t ruly don't understand.

People just charge it, and as long as their credit card works, they'll keep shopping. I was at the mall 2 weeks ago and I was really suprised at how packed it was - you'd never know the economy was in the dumper. I think people are just charging things and carrying on as usual - which is totally irrational.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

thanks Toots, at least someone else thinks the way I do. I could not believe that the one register in the store showed over $400. I don't think I would come home if I spent that much. I am so relieved that you understand the way I think. I was always taught that not to buy more than I could pay for. Today as you said with the plastic, people don't know what they are spending.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I can't even imagine how people like that are going to explain themselves, and their actions when they meet their maker!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:13 AM   #17
Executive Chef

It is horrendous - I have heard of any deaths over here but there have been some pretty horrible stories of crowd behaviour at popoular stores when they open for the first time with the first day bargains.
A few years ago Ikea opened a store in north London. The traffic getting there was so horrendous and people were so desperate to get in that they were abandoning their cars on the nearby motorway and running in. The police were called for crowd control. When Primark opened a new store in London, The crowds broke a door down and there were fights through the store.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
as a friend of mine pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss
This was a Wal-Mart, so I would be willing to wager that a significant number of those people in line have been struggling to make their house payments, or were standing in line the previous day to pick up food stamps, which are being issued at an all-time record rate.

But by god they'll find $700 to squeeze into their credit cards for a television. That digital transition is only 80 days away, you know! What would we do without "The Office" or "Desperate Housewives"?!?!?!?!?!
I think the OPs use of the word "Pathetic" sums it up quite nicely.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I tell people I am not a real woman, as I detest shopping and very rarely eat chocolate. So when it is time to go Christmas shopping it is a torturous experience for me. Especially since it is required.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by africhef View Post
I tell people I am not a real woman, as I detest shopping and very rarely eat chocolate. So when it is time to go Christmas shopping it is a torturous experience for me. Especially since it is required.
Amen!! I am the same way! Thankfully, I only get a few things now that the boys are grown. Most of the stuff that I get now, is ONLINE!!