Sad day...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
My cousin, aged 60, died last night after a courageous battle with skin cancer. It was Christmas last year (2012) that we learned he had stage 3 skin cancer. He underwent treatment but, alas, he developed a brain tumor which was removed in November. He spent the last 5 weeks in hospice.

Growing up, we lived outdoors in the summer--on the Lake or golf course. We never used sunscreen. I have lost one family member and 3 friends to skin cancer. Two were young--in their early thirties. The other two were 57 and 60. I imagine there will be more in the "pre-sun exposure" group who will face this battle as well.

I'm sorry for your loss. Back then, we never thought about sunscreen. They say that most skin cancer today is from a sunburn you had as a child. May he rest in peace, and may you find comfort in your memories of him.

Oh, CWS, so sorry for your loss, deepest condolences for you and your family.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss CWS. I don't think that there are any folks left that this disease has not touched in some way. I lost another friend just before Christmas (that was three friends in 2013) these were relatively young folks too. A co worker (59) just underwent a Mastectomy and is soon to find out if there will be radiation and chemo treatments or just radiation. It seems to be everywhere :( I know you are an incredibly strong person, but some times we just don't feel like being strong, so don't be if you feel like letting the sorrow out, you should. Again I am sorry for your loss and am sending hugs your way ((((((CWS))))) thinking of you.
Debbie

Thanks, everyone. There were only eight of us growing up--he's the first one to pass away--and much too soon...he had such a happy go lucky personality and always a smile on his face. That smile and personality will be sadly missed. His youngest son has the same disposition and really looks like my cousin did when we were young. Where did all the time go?

CW,

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. He was a Yungun' still.
Skin cancer runs very high on my side of the family.My Mother has had at least a 3" section on her calf removed because of it. Who would have thought a small mole could mean so much.

Knowing that fact recently I've had a mole develop out of the blue it kept changing shape, growing.Bad spot to.Corner of my eye.Didn't want to take a chance and ignore it. Had it checked out.I've just had a biopsy done Friday had it removed. Stitches are healing ok.It didn't turn out a full on black eye as I was told might happen.Band-aid is hiding it. I go back for the results in a week.

We were never told to use sunscreen as kids.We were always outside playing until the sun came down. I'm glad I nagged my kids to screen up when they were little.Hopefully they won't ever have to deal with it.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.

Munky.

CW,

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. He was a Yungun' still.
Skin cancer runs very high on my side of the family.My Mother has had at least a 3" section on her calf removed because of it. Who would have thought a small mole could mean so much.

Knowing that fact recently I've had a mole develop out of the blue it kept changing shape, growing.Bad spot to.Corner of my eye.Didn't want to take a chance and ignore it. Had it checked out.I've just had a biopsy done Friday had it removed. Stitches are healing ok.It didn't turn out a full on black eye as I was told might happen.Band-aid is hiding it. I go back for the results in a week.

We were never told to use sunscreen as kids.We were always outside playing until the sun came down. I'm glad I nagged my kids to screen up when they were little.Hopefully they won't ever have to deal with it.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.

Munky.

I hope your mole is benign with nothing to worry about. But you were very sensible to have this taken care of!

With love,
~Cat

CW, my condolences. My father had skin cancer on his head and had several surgeries. While it wasn't the reason for his passing, I know how it can be brutal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Back
Top Bottom