"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Very sad. And let's not just remember him for the crazy stunts and the risks he took with animals. His life was dedicated to educating people, and preserving endangered specias, and he's done more for that education than just about anyone I know.

As far as his interactions with animals; he had that special energy that communicated itself to the animals; it was truly amazing to watch. What happened with the sting ray was that the barb was injected almost directly into his heart, from what I've read. If he had gotten stung anywhere else, I'd bet he would have survived.

Let's please not judge this incredible human being. He lived his life doing what he loved and teaching the world that even animals we consider dangerous serve a purpose and deserve to live.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
It's always a sad day when a Dad leaves his family so suddenly... expecially with the kids being so young... He LOVED what he did... how many of us can say that?

Old 09-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Its very sad, feels like a great loss of life. To say the least, he died doing what he loved best, being around wildlife. I was very sad to hear he died, he taught us so much about animals, he was so passionate about it. Very sad. My thoughts go out to his wife and children. Docs say he would have been unconscious so he wouldnt have felt the pain.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

What horrible news. I can not say I was surprised to read this, but it does not change the fact that it is just awful.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
My jaw dropped this morning also when I turned on the news, and my daughter was a little upset too, but it also teaches the true lesson nature will always be nature. He has taught millions about animals they would most likely never see in their's or their children's lifetime. Nature doesn't teach a crocodile that the nice human jumping on his back and wrestling him down is only here to help. What a vibrant man, fulfilling and living a life-long dream though. I feel his wife will carry on, and teach his children to carry on his work. I see both sides when some say it was only a matter of time before this happened, we can all hope man and beast can cohabit this land peacefully, and hopefully his work over his life made a difference, and set a standard for those following in his footsteps. Prayers and blessing to his family and his extended family all over the world.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Head Chef

I don't know how many times I've seen Steve Irwin in situations where he's saying something like, "this has the potential to go very, very badly". I guess it finally did.

Very sad for his family and all whose lives he touched.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'll have to reiterate some of what GB said - it wasn't a matter of "if" or even "where" - just when and how BUT that doesn't change the fact it is a tremendous loss to his family and friends and a very unfortunate accident. How terribly sad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
He died doing what he loved...that's good.
So sad for his wife and kids though.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I sincerely wish somehow he came back. With everyone that dies, i always wish they could somehow come back just for a little while, just to see how much they were actually appreciated, and how many people missed them. His death is all over the news.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #20
Sous Chef

It is truly sad from the standpoint of the loss to his friends and family as well as the tremendous loss of a great advocate for the natural world. Prayers for his wife and two small children.