"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

sigh. she isn't a Chef. plastic is fine for microwaves. i don't own a microwave, yet had one at Mom & Dad's & plastic was fine if you kept plastic from food surfaces.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Read the tables -- some plastic wraps are made for use in the microwave. I wouldn't worry about using those brands.

You can also simply invert another plate over the food, which is what I often do.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I use a paper towel over stuff too.
Here's an interesting article on the subject:

Click here: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Plastic-Tac-Toe
thanks jkath for putting that silliniess to rest... i love it when sites like snopes and scambusters put these urban myths to rest!!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
Head Chef

Under Microwave Directions, my box of Glad ClingWrap says;
Quote:
1. For best result use a container that allows at least one inch of space between ClingWrap and food.
3. Use of any plastic product with foods high in fat and sugar may cause melting...
For me, without knowing for sure the extent of the risk, eliminating the possibility of exposure is so easy there is no reason not to.
Thanks for the thread and the information.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
thanks jkath for putting that silliniess to rest... i love it when sites like snopes and scambusters put these urban myths to rest!!

I put this into a different catgegory from the plastic wrap.

They're talking about freezing water in plastic bottles and plastic containers for foods, not plastic wrap.

The plastic wrap makers advise against this! What else do you need?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Senior Cook

"Under the food additive provisions of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, new substances used to make plastics for food use are classified as 'food contact substances.' They must be found safe for their intended use before they can be marketed.
"'It's true that substances used to make plastics and leach into food,' says Edward Machuga, Ph.D., a consumer safety officer in the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. 'But as part of the approval process, the FDA considers the amount of a substance expected to migrate into food and the toxicological concerns about the particular chemical.' The agency has assessed migration levels of substances added to regulated plastics and has found the levels to be well within the margin of safety based on information available to the agency.
"'The FDA has seen no evidence that plastic containers or films contain dioxins and knows of no reason why they would,' Machuga says."

Finally, the FDA says that "generally, microwave-save plastic wraps, wax paper, cooking bags, parchment paper and white microwave-safe paper towels are safe to use"

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/dioxins.html

and btw, i know im not supposed to but i still boil water in the microwave...
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I've heard that when it heats up it releases some "bad" chemicals.

I use it all the time too.
Well, you shouldn't use it at all. Plastic wrap leaches carcinogens into the food. I don't care for Sandra Lee's show at all, but she knows what she's talking about on this one.

Styrofoam cups also leach chemicals into whatever bevvie you might drink from them...

I don't know anyone who wants to "give themselves" cancer... so why would anyone use this stuff for what it's not intended? and those styrofoam dishes should be banned from the market!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I don't know anyone who wants to "give themselves" cancer... so why would anyone use this stuff for what it's not intended? and those styrofoam dishes should be banned from the market!
so should cigarettes!!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

The Today Show had a doctor from Johns Hopkins this morning and he explained some of the myths. He spoke about the freezing of water bottles and said the only problem is in using a bottle over when it may not be sanitized. The plastic containers do NOT contain anything to give one cancer, but do contain chemicals that may cause reactions. I wonder who gets such a kick out of promoting all the scary tactics to everyone they know.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Corkscrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
...and btw, i know im not supposed to but i still boil water in the microwave...
WHAT? I've done that for years -- what's supposed to be the problem?

Thanks.