Safety of Plastic Wrap in the Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I believe it was yesterday.....I was watch the cooking show on foodnetwork (Sandra Lee) .....anyway when she was using the microwave she said, "'Plastic Wrap is a no no in the microwave" ????? I always use plastic wrap.....why not??

I've heard that when it heats up it releases some "bad" chemicals.

I use it all the time too.

a damp paper towel is best...keeps heat in, doesn't let food dry out, doesn't stick melt or burn during a couple minute reheat etc. May not be good for long microwave cooking.

I think there are microwave safe plastic wraps available. Personally I buy the cheap stuff and it does tend to melt and even make holes if it gets too hot. I only use plastic wrap for reheating things, and use a damp papertowel for others things as Robo mentioned.

I always just use a piece of paper towel on top of something that may splat.

I never wanted to try leaving the plastic wrap on.

Thanks everyone! I'll switch to strictly paper towels. I only used the plasitc wrap for short intervels but I'll eliminate it all together now.

If you wrap food in plastic wrap so it is in contact with the food surface, the application of heat will release chemicals from the plastic that will leach into the food. These chemicals are known or suspected carcinogens (I can't remember which).

You can buy plastic wrap that is of a different composition and safe in this situation.

If you read the fine print on the box, it should tell you whether or not to use it in heating food.

Of course, if you don't use plastic wrap this way, you don't have to worry.

sigh. she isn't a Chef. plastic is fine for microwaves. i don't own a microwave, yet had one at Mom & Dad's & plastic was fine if you kept plastic from food surfaces.

Last edited:
Read the tables -- some plastic wraps are made for use in the microwave. I wouldn't worry about using those brands.

You can also simply invert another plate over the food, which is what I often do.

Under Microwave Directions, my box of Glad ClingWrap says;
1. For best result use a container that allows at least one inch of space between ClingWrap and food.
3. Use of any plastic product with foods high in fat and sugar may cause melting...
For me, without knowing for sure the extent of the risk, eliminating the possibility of exposure is so easy there is no reason not to.
Thanks for the thread and the information.

Seven S said:
thanks jkath for putting that silliniess to rest... i love it when sites like snopes and scambusters put these urban myths to rest!!

I put this into a different catgegory from the plastic wrap.

They're talking about freezing water in plastic bottles and plastic containers for foods, not plastic wrap.

The plastic wrap makers advise against this! What else do you need?

"Under the food additive provisions of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, new substances used to make plastics for food use are classified as 'food contact substances.' They must be found safe for their intended use before they can be marketed.
"'It's true that substances used to make plastics and leach into food,' says Edward Machuga, Ph.D., a consumer safety officer in the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. 'But as part of the approval process, the FDA considers the amount of a substance expected to migrate into food and the toxicological concerns about the particular chemical.' The agency has assessed migration levels of substances added to regulated plastics and has found the levels to be well within the margin of safety based on information available to the agency.
"'The FDA has seen no evidence that plastic containers or films contain dioxins and knows of no reason why they would,' Machuga says."

Finally, the FDA says that "generally, microwave-save plastic wraps, wax paper, cooking bags, parchment paper and white microwave-safe paper towels are safe to use"

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/dioxins.html

and btw, i know im not supposed to but i still boil water in the microwave...

pdswife said:
I've heard that when it heats up it releases some "bad" chemicals.

I use it all the time too.
Well, you shouldn't use it at all. Plastic wrap leaches carcinogens into the food. I don't care for Sandra Lee's show at all, but she knows what she's talking about on this one.

Styrofoam cups also leach chemicals into whatever bevvie you might drink from them...

I don't know anyone who wants to "give themselves" cancer... so why would anyone use this stuff for what it's not intended? and those styrofoam dishes should be banned from the market! :ermm: :ohmy:

The Today Show had a doctor from Johns Hopkins this morning and he explained some of the myths. He spoke about the freezing of water bottles and said the only problem is in using a bottle over when it may not be sanitized. The plastic containers do NOT contain anything to give one cancer, but do contain chemicals that may cause reactions. I wonder who gets such a kick out of promoting all the scary tactics to everyone they know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom