"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
because of kidney stones.Barbara
uh, what? kidney stones, what's black pepper got to do with them

Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #32
Master Chef

I need salt, though I have been using less of it lately, I still need it.

P.S. My mother uses tons of salt and her blood presure is normal. I really think it depends on a person how much salt body can handel it. Doctors like to insure them selves and tell us salt is bad for us. In reality i doubt it's really true.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Salt & Pepper

We eat and use both. But the pepper HAS to be Freshly ground black pepper, I would rather go without my bra than use the pepper in the red and white can.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #34
Master Chef

Speaking of black pepper. i hate it. Hate it with pation. Hate the taste, hate the smell, hate the way it makes food taste. Did I say say I hate it? My mom alwasy used it when I was kid and I couldn't stand it.
Since I've discover cayne pepper I cannot live without.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
uh, what? kidney stones, what's black pepper got to do with them
Black pepper is just one of many things (high oxylate) that I'm not supposed to eat. Other things are berries, tea, beans, leafy vegetables, corn, and all kinds of other good stuff. My list of stuff I should avoid includes meat, but it says that it would be unrealistic to cut all meat out because of the protein, so it says to not overdo it. For the diabetes I'm supposed to eat most of the stuff that is bad for kidney stones (like beans and leafy vegetables). Dairy is about the only thing that works for both! So I try to eat for the diabetes, taking the other things into consideration. For instance, I love chili, refried beans, green beans, strawberries, tea, spinach, and of course I love pepper. I still eat them, but I try to spread them out a little and eat lower oxylate foods as much as I can.

Barbara
Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Definitely salt. Pepper I like but I can take it or leave it. But if my meal, sandwich, soup, pizza, etc. doesn't have the right saltiness to it, it just doesn't taste good to me. I do tend to undersalt when I'm cooking for others, I can always add more but it's tough to remove it.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 AM   #37
Senior Cook

I wouldn't be able to cook without salt. Even when I cook Thai where the fish sauce is supposed to add the "saltiness" I still need to add a little salt as well. Love black pepper but agree with goodgiver on that one - it has to be freshly ground !
Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 AM   #38
Senior Cook

When life hands you lemons - break out the tequila and salt!

Dodi's Home Page
Dodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Black pepper is just one of many things (high oxylate) that I'm not supposed to eat. Other things are berries, tea, beans, leafy vegetables, corn, and all kinds of other good stuff. My list of stuff I should avoid includes meat, but it says that it would be unrealistic to cut all meat out because of the protein, so it says to not overdo it. For the diabetes I'm supposed to eat most of the stuff that is bad for kidney stones (like beans and leafy vegetables). Dairy is about the only thing that works for both! So I try to eat for the diabetes, taking the other things into consideration. For instance, I love chili, refried beans, green beans, strawberries, tea, spinach, and of course I love pepper. I still eat them, but I try to spread them out a little and eat lower oxylate foods as much as I can.

Barbara
no wonder I had so many of them. no one told me about the foods you mentioned though. how odd. if I'm going to be a person that will be prone to KS, why wouldn't my doctor tell me what NOT to eat..............uff da
Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
no wonder I had so many of them. no one told me about the foods you mentioned though. how odd. if I'm going to be a person that will be prone to KS, why wouldn't my doctor tell me what NOT to eat..............uff da
Depending on the type of stones you get, the list of foods you can/can't eat is different. I have the most common kind. My doctor told me to drink 2 quarts of lemonade (his recipe was basically very weak lemonade with no sugar, but I prefer full strength and use sweetener) every day. He said it acts like Slick-50, helping to prevent the formation of them. You should talk to your urologist about what foods you should and shouldn't eat. For me, as I said, high oxylate and high acid-ash (corn, meat) are things I need to watch out for.

Barbara