Salt or pepper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt & (black) Pepper....heavy on the pepper please!

Oh, and Cayenne too!!
I sent a batch of hokey pokey to someone in here.
She said she liked the bittersweet orange flavored one best.
Didn't much say anything about the other batch that I'd heated up with cayenne. I LOVED THAT STUFF.................
I should send it to you but then, I'd be responsible for your dental woes too.;)

I don't like salt very much, I just use it sparingly, but always use fresh ground black pepper, and cayenne, never white pepper, I hate that stuff.

I am a salter from way back, like my pepper too. Now that DH is on a low sodium diet - its a bummer on my cooking. Especially one pot meals!

I am often accused of using way too much pepper and not nearly enough salt.
My wife is often accused of using way too much salt and not nearly enough pepper.
Left on my own I often completely omit the salt, but when combined with her we somehow manage to obtain a balance.
Kinda neat the way that works out ;)
I also love to mix my peppers and use several different ones, especially when flavoring meat. I have only recently begun to "see the light" concerning sea salt and coarse salt varieties. My Dr. doesn't mind the sea salt as it is lower in sodium apparently.

...My Dr. doesn't mind the sea salt as it is lower in sodium apparently.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but sea salt is not lower sodium. It's the same salt as table salt and it's about 99.5% sodium chloride with a few other minerals in there to provide supporting flavors.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but sea salt is not lower sodium. It's the same salt as table salt and it's about 99.5% sodium chloride with a few other minerals in there to provide supporting flavors.

Shhh.. dont tell the Dr. ;) Seriously though, everyone is advertising that products with sea salt have lower sodium. Is it just that it is more flavorful and therefore they use less?? Or are they just blowing more smoke...

Definitely pepper. I pretty much use pepper at every meal. About the only thing I don't put pepper on is my breakfast cereal. I even carry a small pepper grinder in my lunch box. Not to say that I don't use salt, I just to to use keep it to a minimum.

I need salt, though I have been using less of it lately, I still need it.

P.S. My mother uses tons of salt and her blood presure is normal. I really think it depends on a person how much salt body can handel it. Doctors like to insure them selves and tell us salt is bad for us. In reality i doubt it's really true.

Last edited:
Salt & Pepper

We eat and use both. But the pepper HAS to be Freshly ground black pepper, I would rather go without my bra than use the pepper in the red and white can.

Speaking of black pepper. i hate it. Hate it with pation. Hate the taste, hate the smell, hate the way it makes food taste. Did I say say I hate it? My mom alwasy used it when I was kid and I couldn't stand it.
Since I've discover cayne pepper I cannot live without.

uh, what? kidney stones, what's black pepper got to do with them
Black pepper is just one of many things (high oxylate) that I'm not supposed to eat. Other things are berries, tea, beans, leafy vegetables, corn, and all kinds of other good stuff. My list of stuff I should avoid includes meat, but it says that it would be unrealistic to cut all meat out because of the protein, so it says to not overdo it. For the diabetes I'm supposed to eat most of the stuff that is bad for kidney stones (like beans and leafy vegetables). Dairy is about the only thing that works for both! So I try to eat for the diabetes, taking the other things into consideration. For instance, I love chili, refried beans, green beans, strawberries, tea, spinach, and of course I love pepper. I still eat them, but I try to spread them out a little and eat lower oxylate foods as much as I can.

:)Barbara

Definitely salt. Pepper I like but I can take it or leave it. But if my meal, sandwich, soup, pizza, etc. doesn't have the right saltiness to it, it just doesn't taste good to me. I do tend to undersalt when I'm cooking for others, I can always add more but it's tough to remove it. :)

I wouldn't be able to cook without salt. Even when I cook Thai where the fish sauce is supposed to add the "saltiness" I still need to add a little salt as well. Love black pepper but agree with goodgiver on that one - it has to be freshly ground !

Black pepper is just one of many things (high oxylate) that I'm not supposed to eat. Other things are berries, tea, beans, leafy vegetables, corn, and all kinds of other good stuff. My list of stuff I should avoid includes meat, but it says that it would be unrealistic to cut all meat out because of the protein, so it says to not overdo it. For the diabetes I'm supposed to eat most of the stuff that is bad for kidney stones (like beans and leafy vegetables). Dairy is about the only thing that works for both! So I try to eat for the diabetes, taking the other things into consideration. For instance, I love chili, refried beans, green beans, strawberries, tea, spinach, and of course I love pepper. I still eat them, but I try to spread them out a little and eat lower oxylate foods as much as I can.

no wonder I had so many of them. no one told me about the foods you mentioned though. how odd. if I'm going to be a person that will be prone to KS, why wouldn't my doctor tell me what NOT to eat..............uff da

no wonder I had so many of them. no one told me about the foods you mentioned though. how odd. if I'm going to be a person that will be prone to KS, why wouldn't my doctor tell me what NOT to eat..............uff da
Depending on the type of stones you get, the list of foods you can/can't eat is different. I have the most common kind. My doctor told me to drink 2 quarts of lemonade (his recipe was basically very weak lemonade with no sugar, but I prefer full strength and use sweetener) every day. He said it acts like Slick-50, helping to prevent the formation of them. You should talk to your urologist about what foods you should and shouldn't eat. For me, as I said, high oxylate and high acid-ash (corn, meat) are things I need to watch out for.

Back
Top Bottom