"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The meat at the BJ's near me always looks really great, I've always gotten great stuff there.

Their cheese section is limited but priced really well.

I would agree that they come in a bit below Costco in just about every category. They are about equal in quality to Sam's, but trail both in variety. I really wish that they would establish a strong store brand like Costco. They have a store brand, but when it comes to food products, sometimes they'll have a product and sometimes it will be missing for months.
BJs has the best price on cryovac bone-in Boston butt.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love my Costco, don't know about Sam's or BJ's. Non perishables are our choice with a few specialty perishables, can't beat their bags of 5 avocados, but you have to eat them all in just a couple days. Good thing we both like them.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I live alone, so bulk buying is not always a bargain for me. And storage is another big problem. Son #1 has a contractor's license and is able to buy a lot of household products that are of commercial grade at a much lower price than I would pay at a box store. He uses his license even for electronics. He payed a much lower price for both my large monitor and large screen TV than he would have paid at a box store. He buys household cleaning products in five gallon sizes and we split them between us. He uses his supply up quicker than I do as he uses his on the job as well as home. He recently had to purchase toilet paper for some apartments that had just been remodeled. He bought a carton full. Forty-eight rolls. He only needed 10 rolls. I am now up to my ears in toilet paper. I am afraid to mention when I will need more paper towels. I also have 100 heavy duty green trash bags. I don't use napkins. Paper towels instead. I once bought 100 napkins. Lasted me for more than a year.

So if I didn't have my son's license to rely on, I would probably buy household products in a box store. We have a BJ's just down the road from me. I could go there on my scooter. But then how would I get them home?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Costco has the BEST rotisserie chicken! It's a large bird for about $5, the same or cheaper than WalMart's dry, scrawny birds. Costco's chickens are juicy even as refrigerated leftovers. Don't know what the sodium content is but they taste really good.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Costco has the BEST rotisserie chicken! It's a large bird for about $5, the same or cheaper than WalMart's dry, scrawny birds. Costco's chickens are juicy even as refrigerated leftovers. Don't know what the sodium content is but they taste really good.
It's only a 15 min drive home, it's hard to get a chicken home without pulling over for an impromptu picnic...
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We used to go to Sam's Club from time to time. We did run up on a great deal on a set of SS cookware several years ago. I reckon I oughta slip around there next time we go to Norfolk.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

It's only a 15 min drive home, it's hard to get a chicken home without pulling over for an impromptu picnic...
Sounds like a good idea. It's about a 30 minute drive for me - all highway so there really isn't a good place for a picnic. Darn!
I always put everything in the cargo section in the very back of the van. It's a little harder to smell that way. I usually snag something to nibble on while I drive that wouldn't get my hands & the steering wheel all messy.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Sounds like a good idea. It's about a 30 minute drive for me - all highway so there really isn't a good place for a picnic. Darn!
I always put everything in the cargo section in the very back of the van. It's a little harder to smell that way. I usually snag something to nibble on while I drive that wouldn't get my hands & the steering wheel all messy.
Shrek cleaned out the car the other day...he found Jo-jo potatoes under the drivers seat...