"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sam's Club/BJ's

So I was wondering what you guys and gals thought about buying in bulk from a place like sams club or BJ's?

Right now I shop at Wal mart and think I get pretty good prices on my food, but do you think it is worth it to shop at one of these bulk stores?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We have been Costco members for a dozen years or more. In addition, at SO's request, we alternate between Sam's Club and BJ's.

Hand's down, Costco is the best. It's a toss up in my mind between Sam's and BJ's.

A lot depends on how big your family is. Because of packaging sizes and storage space at home, it's quantity purchases don't make sense for many items if there are just two of you.

None of the warehouse clubs is a replacement for shopping at a regular supermarket.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Head Chef

BJs is about the only place i buy meats .. but we are a family of four .. and have a pretty big deep freezer .. so i like to stock up ... i try to buy whole pork roasts .. cut them up for chops and such .. same with either a beef tender loin or sirlion ...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Executive Chef

BJ's product availability varies from store to store. Selection at the BJ's nearest us is not the best. We regularly purchase bulk quantities of bottled water, paper goods, some nuts, peanut oil, and olive oil from the BJ's nearest us.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Master Chef

I shop at Sam's club. I agree with Andy that it cannot replace a regular grocery store but I find it's great savings on things like paper products (garbage bags, sandwich bags, paper towels, TP, etc.) and other non-perishables. I too have a large freezer that I stock up on things like b-s chicken breasts, hamburger, veggies. I find I only go to Sam's 2-3 times a year for things. Then it's Wal Mart, Kroger or Food Lion in between. I'll hit the farmer's market during the summer and a locally owned grocery for meats and other items not carried by the major chains. Right now there are 3 adults at my house but even when it was just two of us, I'd hit Sam's for some things.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I shop at Sam's and I think that deals are found on lots of items. You do need to know your prices because sometimes there are things that you can get cheaper elsewhere. I love Sam's for freezer bags, laundry soap, peanut butter, spices, vanilla, EVOO, and lots of other things I stock up on.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I could live without my club store membership, but there are certain things that I would really miss buying there. Plastic wrap, vitamins, butter, olive oil, gas, and other misc items. Thee have also been times when I've picked up good quality name brand clothes there. Nestle chocolate chips in the bulk bag save me about $1.30 per 12 oz.(the size of a single bag) that's a huge savings, and it puts Nestle at a much lower price than store brands in the grocery store.

I shop at BJ's because it is very close to my house, if Costco built one nearby I'd jump ship and go there, it's a much better store. The Costco (or Sam's) isn't in a part of town that I frequent, and getting in and out of that parking lot is a pain, and I wouldn't drive all the way over there for gas, BJ's is competitive enough that I don't even look at gas prices.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

You reminded me that I did find a pair of Birkenstocks at SAMs that lasted me 6 years. They were a lot cheaper than other stores!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Depends on what I am getting, BUT, by in large most of my experience with bulk buying is Sams Club. Living on Oahu, you save a LOT of money by buying in bulk. Everyone has some sort of membership to a "warehouse" style store.

Sams always was my "Go-To" place. Don't know much about Costco, so I can't say, but I know that BJ's(at least in Hampton Roads) doen't have the "best" reputation, and from the few times I DID go there, it left a lot to be desired. The bakery of all things was pretty outstanding, but the rest, the meats looked a little dated, the pork meh, the cheese selection very "domestic" and nothing exciting. . .

If any of you guys have access to The Restaurant Depot, I highly recommend it. It's costs the same to join as the other retailers, and caters to the food service industry.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The meat at the BJ's near me always looks really great, I've always gotten great stuff there.

Their cheese section is limited but priced really well.

I would agree that they come in a bit below Costco in just about every category. They are about equal in quality to Sam's, but trail both in variety. I really wish that they would establish a strong store brand like Costco. They have a store brand, but when it comes to food products, sometimes they'll have a product and sometimes it will be missing for months.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote