"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

San Genaro Festival - NYC - Little Italy

I've been going to the San Genaro festival since I was a kid. I took my own kids when they could barely walk. (this crowd is no place for a stroller!)

I missed a few years, and then, three years ago, my boyfriend and I went. It was his first. It was great to hear all the italian music again, see all the lights and the aromas from the vendors was intoxicating. We dined at one of the restaurants last year, curbside. I think it was Benito's. We're going on Saturday.

Anyone else from the area going? Where do you like to eat in Little Italy?

Luna's is good, too, from what I recall a few years ago.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Have a great time!!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

SO and I would really enjoy going. We love festivals and other events like this.

Sadly a road trip is not in the offing this weekend. We'll be doing a baby shower (just SO) and a 3 year-old's birthday party.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

vb, we may go this year, been a few since i've been. we usually go down to mott and grand in the fall on "low season" weekends, and dine al fresco (lol, in other words, on the sidewalk on those tiny streets, like eating in traffic).

try umberto's for good calamari/scungilli, or taormina's for very good veal and chicken. remember, you get what you pay for down there. try to order a cheapo meal, and you'll get crap. but order a $40 special, and it's a glorious experience.

please stop at ferrara's for fruitti di bosco (dw's fave), or bring your torrone and taralli from the fest and have a cuppa 'spresso or two.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Hey Andy, the festival will include next weekend, too, if you think that would be better.

Thanks for the wishes, PD!

I like Ferraras, but I like Vittorio's (think that was the spelling) in Boston next to Mike's much better. Now torrone, that's another thing entirely. We always had it for holidays. When I was a young girl, we visited Italy and enjoyed a feast on the streets of Rome. This feast went for miles it seemed. I remember a young woman, extremely pregnant, stirring the torrone in a large brass kettle and clutching her abdomen like she was about to have that baby...and her husband behind her telling her to stir faster
Old 09-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Hey VeraBlue - I've never been to the festivial. I didn't even see it in this Friday's edition of the Bergen Record's GO! section (always read the paper in bed with tea and toast before work)....was looking for something fun to do over the week-end.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Executive Chef

It's that time of the year again...

Anyone going? It's easy to get there from Grand Central - just take the number 4 subway to Spring Street. Mulberry street crosses Spring, so when you come out of the subway, you're pretty much right in the middle of the feast!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the subway info, vb.

my boy loves trains, so a subway ride might be in order, after the ferry from hoboken.

i'm still waiting to be pinned...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I never minded driving in NYC until recent years. I'm sick of looking for a street spot, and lot prices are upwards of 30 bucks now... So, unless we are dressed up for some engagement, (that is when we drive in), we take the 161 bus right into Port Authority. That stops on Liberty Street, about a block from the house, passes Giant Stadium and we're in the city in about 20 minutes. Piece of cake.

I love the ferry, Port Imperial is great.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Head Chef

Gosh it has been so many years since we lived in NYC. But always made it a point to go to the festival.

Am with bucky, Umberto's is great. Love the scungilli. But I am sure things have changed substantially since we lived there.