Santa came and left, Next Comes the Mailman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Thought you would enjoy this.

The Day After Christmas

'Twas the day after Christmas, and all through the house,
Every creature was hurting even the mouse.

The toys were all broken, their batteries dead;
Santa passed out, with some ice on his head.

Wrapping and ribbons just covered the floor,
While upstairs the family continued to snore.

And I in my T-shirt, new Reeboks and jeans,
I went into the kitchen and started to clean.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the sink to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the curtains, and threw up the sash.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a little truck,with an oversized mirror.

The driver was smiling, so lively and grand:
The patch on his jacket said "U.S. POSTMAN"

With a handful of bills, he grinned like a fox.
Then quickly he stuffed them into our mailbox.

Bill after bill, after bill, they still came.
Whistling and shouting he called them by name.

"Now Dillard's, now WalMart, now Penny;s and Sears.
Here's Robinson's , Levitz's and Target's and Mervyn"s.

To the tip or your limit, every store, every mall,
Now cjargeaway--chargeaway--chargeaway all"

He whooped and he whistled as he finished his work.
He filled up the box, and then turned with a jerk.

He sprang to his truck and he drove down the road,
Driving much faster with a half load.

Then I heard him exclaim with great holiday cheer,
"ENJOY WHAT YOUR BOUGHT...….YOU'LLBE PAYING ALL YEAR!

Happy New Year To all of Discuss Cooking Friends​

LOL! I’m gonna send this to everyone I know! Thanks!

I have a girlfriend in Tennessee. Her husband is a mailman. After I sent it to her, she had it made into a plaque and lacquered. She gave it to him and now proudly hangs on her living room wall.

I think over the years, it says it all for all of us. :wacko:
Nope, it doesn't. We have always set aside the money for Christmas gifts, then kept pretty much to that limit. If we did need to charge anything, we would pail the full bill off the first billing cycle. Not everyone looks over their shoulder when the mailman comes in January. ;)

I bet we aren't the only family who exercises fiscal responsibility. :cool:

Nope, it doesn't. We have always set aside the money for Christmas gifts, then kept pretty much to that limit. If we did need to charge anything, we would pail the full bill off the first billing cycle. Not everyone looks over their shoulder when the mailman comes in January. ;)

With five kids to buy for, I joined the Christmas Club in my C.U. I also had direct deposit. the money came right out of my paycheck. So by November, there was sufficient monies available for their Christmas. And during the year, if any one of the kids stated something they really, really want and would die for article, I would take the money provided it wasn't going to cost me my arm and a leg, purchase it, hide it in my landlords house and it stayed there until it came time to wrap.

One year Spike was into models. He wanted the U.S.S. Constitution. I bought him the large model of it. I didn't realize just how large it was. It took him a couple of months to finally finish it. Model paint seems to take forever to dry. He still has that ship. He was working when he was 12 for a meat market delivering orders to the customer's home. With his pay and tips he started to buy models. When he expressed his wanting the ship, he got my standard answer. "You never know what Santa will bring." Sometimes they got what they wanted and I could afford, and sometimes they didn't. They had to wait to see what Santa brought.

CG, thanks for saying what I was thinking from the start of this thread. I've never gone into debt for Christmas even when we had no $ when the kids were young. That's when I belonged to a Christmas savings account and set aside what little could be spared at the end of each paycheck.

We don't do credit either.

We may over spend a bit, but it only hurts for a short time, not all year or even years.

Our mailman doesn't get extra back aches from our mail after Christmas. Never have (or will) go into debt for Christmas.

I've always been one to listen to friends and family throughout the year and purchase or make things to suit their desires all year long. I've been fortunate to usually hit the jackpot with the things I give. Doing this also relieves me of any stress near the holiday.

I've already made the list for this year and have begun making some of the items that are part of the "to be made" portion of the list.

Our mailman doesn't get extra back aches from our mail after Christmas. Never have (or will) go into debt for Christmas.

I've always been one to listen to friends and family throughout the year and purchase or make things to suit their desires all year long. I've been fortunate to usually hit the jackpot with the things I give. Doing this also relieves me of any stress near the holiday.

I've already made the list for this year and have begun making some of the items that are part of the "to be made" portion of the list.

Katie, you are so talented with your home made gifts. There's no better gift than a personalized handmade treasure. I envy your friends and family.

We don't do credit either.

We may over spend a bit, but it only hurts for a short time, not all year or even years.
We put all our purchases on a credit card, for the points, which I used last year to get a free KitchenAid food processor and immersion blender. We pay off the balance every month, though.

This year, everyone got honey from our hives. The only expenses were jars, mailing boxes and postage.

We put all our purchases on a credit card, for the points, which I used last year to get a free KitchenAid food processor and immersion blender. We pay off the balance every month, though...
^This^ is the same game that we play. Charge it all - doctor co-pays, food, everything - but make sure we pay our bill in full each month to avoid any interest charges or fees. Most of my small appliances are courtesy of gift cards to BB&B acquired with credit card points. Any chain restaurants we stop at while traveling serve us free food, since we pay with similarly acquired gift cards. We really racked up the points when we added the sun room to the back of our house. Factory built, we had to pay half up front and the rest upon installation. We had fun using up all those points from our $30,000 addition!

^This^ is the same game that we play. Charge it all - doctor co-pays, food, everything - but make sure we pay our bill in full each month to avoid any interest charges or fees. Most of my small appliances are courtesy of gift cards to BB&B acquired with credit card points. Any chain restaurants we stop at while traveling serve us free food, since we pay with similarly acquired gift cards. We really racked up the points when we added the sun room to the back of our house. Factory built, we had to pay half up front and the rest upon installation. We had fun using up all those points from our $30,000 addition!

Yep. We do the same thing and pay off our cards every month.

Happy to be proud owners of a lovely new LG microwave oven for nuthin', zero, nada. Happy, happy, happy!

That's not the only thing, but you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom