"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #21
Sous Chef

It's a real shame. She's a real cook. Not as flashy as some, but competent and interesting. I think the Food Network is competing to see which female they can get into the lowest cut top on her show. I think Rachel is winning, although Giada is right up there. Sandra I won't get into, since I commented once and had the DC police surround me like I was a hardened criminal - and I don't even mind her, for what it's worth. I guess FN thinks that tactic will attract a younger audience. All I can say is that that Barefoot Contessa had better mind her p's and q's or she'll be the next one to get the ax. And what will happen to Paula Deen? I hope the restaurant is doing well.

BC

Old 02-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
DiscussCookingTV anyone?
Hey GB; Can I play too? I could be "The Cook who works for a living (If I can doit, you can do it1)".

Whatcha think. Gotta spot for me on your network?

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
If they get rid of Racheal Ray..... and THEN infuse the network with female redheads, then Im watching every minute!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
Sandra I won't get into, since I commented once and had the DC police surround me like I was a hardened criminal - and I don't even mind her, for what it's worth.
BC
I thought the idea behind Sandra's "Almost Homemade" show was brilliant. In the beginning, I loved her, the show, and the recipes - they all were just NORMAL.

But when she went all glamorous and froo-froo, matching her elegant outfits with her kitchen decor, and her TABLESCAPES (for heaven's sakes!), I lost interest. She's making it more, not less, work and time-consuming.

Lee
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #25
Contest Winner

I think she had some good recipes sometimes but I never really watched her shows. I think PBS could actually be better for her as its less commercial and she will probably have more input and such.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Regarding the new direction of the Food Network, here is one of Sara's more revealing quotes regarding the departure (bold mine):

Quote:
The choice was theirs not mine. The new president came in with her agenda which included getting rid of some of the old guard. Their new demagraphic is something like 15 to 35 year old males and their goal now is to appeal to that segment of the population. They want talent that is for the most part young, telegenic and very entertaining. I have a producer friend that tried to pitch some shows and was told,

"No chefs please, and nobody with training."

I don't understand it but I am not a 15 year old male.

I will say I was on there for quite a while, almost 10 years if they keep airing my shows until April 2, and every show has a life. Maybe my time was up.

I am a teacher, not an entertainer and so I couldn't have changed my style anyway. I really do belong on PBS and all of my favorite teachers are there - Jacques, Lydia, Martin, Mary Anne.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Regarding the new direction of the Food Network, here is one of Sara's more revealing quotes regarding the departure (bold mine):
That's not even sad. That's pathetic.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:08 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Perhaps we should start a write in campaign to Food Network regarding their choices. We who actually purchase products from their sponsors should have a say in what is there - what would a 15 year old guy be purchasing in the line of food (most of the time, anyway)? I'm sure there are some from every age who tune in, but who does the actual purchasing and cooking? and to think it used to be my favorite channel.............
Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #29
Head Chef

I would like to see her back, mario can go, They also should get rid of some of the specials like Top 6 count downs, Secret life of. Just have cooking shows.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Giada can cook, but I think Mario has more knowledge of italian food and is on the iron chef show.

How many 15 year old males do try out the recipies on the Food TV shows????