Sara Moulton no longer on FoodTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a real shame. She's a real cook. Not as flashy as some, but competent and interesting. I think the Food Network is competing to see which female they can get into the lowest cut top on her show. I think Rachel is winning, although Giada is right up there. Sandra I won't get into, since I commented once and had the DC police surround me like I was a hardened criminal - and I don't even mind her, for what it's worth. I guess FN thinks that tactic will attract a younger audience. All I can say is that that Barefoot Contessa had better mind her p's and q's or she'll be the next one to get the ax. And what will happen to Paula Deen? I hope the restaurant is doing well.

BC

BlueCat said:
Sandra I won't get into, since I commented once and had the DC police surround me like I was a hardened criminal - and I don't even mind her, for what it's worth.
BC

I thought the idea behind Sandra's "Almost Homemade" show was brilliant. In the beginning, I loved her, the show, and the recipes - they all were just NORMAL.

But when she went all glamorous and froo-froo, matching her elegant outfits with her kitchen decor, and her TABLESCAPES (for heaven's sakes!), I lost interest. She's making it more, not less, work and time-consuming.

Lee

I think she had some good recipes sometimes but I never really watched her shows. I think PBS could actually be better for her as its less commercial and she will probably have more input and such.

Regarding the new direction of the Food Network, here is one of Sara's more revealing quotes regarding the departure (bold mine):

The choice was theirs not mine. The new president came in with her agenda which included getting rid of some of the old guard. Their new demagraphic is something like 15 to 35 year old males and their goal now is to appeal to that segment of the population. They want talent that is for the most part young, telegenic and very entertaining. I have a producer friend that tried to pitch some shows and was told,

"No chefs please, and nobody with training."

I don't understand it but I am not a 15 year old male.

I will say I was on there for quite a while, almost 10 years if they keep airing my shows until April 2, and every show has a life. Maybe my time was up.

I am a teacher, not an entertainer and so I couldn't have changed my style anyway. I really do belong on PBS and all of my favorite teachers are there - Jacques, Lydia, Martin, Mary Anne.

Perhaps we should start a write in campaign to Food Network regarding their choices. We who actually purchase products from their sponsors should have a say in what is there - what would a 15 year old guy be purchasing in the line of food (most of the time, anyway)? I'm sure there are some from every age who tune in, but who does the actual purchasing and cooking? and to think it used to be my favorite channel.............

I would like to see her back, mario can go, They also should get rid of some of the specials like Top 6 count downs, Secret life of. Just have cooking shows.

Giada can cook, but I think Mario has more knowledge of italian food and is on the iron chef show.

How many 15 year old males do try out the recipies on the Food TV shows????

I know Giada keeps saying about "Italian" food, but most of her stuff really seems to be Italian-American. She uses ingredients that are used here all the time and most of them are only variations of what we are used to eating. I like what she cooks, but it doesn't seem truly Italian. I think Lidia's cooking is probably moreso that Giada's.

I hope FoodTv lures Daisy Martinez from PBS. I watch her every Sat. and I think she is great.... Rick Bayless not bad either.

Late

I think the changes on FoodTV reflect the needs of their viewers- many people want that fluff as it "takes too long" to make substantial dishes or they want that quick fix- something our society dictates- I still like some of the shows, but now I read my cookbooks for inspiration. Many of them have a good explanation of how to do things. Patience is a virtue......

I could do with a little less Emeril these days.I liked him a whole lot in the beginning now he's on every time I turn on FN *sigh*

Do they really mean that Food TV's demographic is the 15-35 year old male? Or that they are just trying to appeal to them? I can hardly believe that the majority of their viewers are 15-35 year old males. I can also hardly believe that they would want to appeal to very young males. They don't have much money, and if they do, I'll bet they don't spend it on cookware or fruits and vegetables. I'm pretty confused by that whole line of reasoning.

BC

The Food Network has really changed. The bf and I were talking about the "Next Food Network" star show. And how the people who we would watch got kicked out first. They're all about entertainment now. I don't watch Food Network nearly as much as I used to because everytime I try to watch it, it's someone that annoys me.

I practically do not put on food TV anymore. There is nothing to learn for me. I actually liked Sarah. I learned a lot from her. Too bad.

That sucks...I learned a lot from her. I wish Gale Gand did more shows because she's one of the other people on there that I learned a lot from. :(

I'm hoping another new cooking channel will show up, that will give FN a run for their money. And if a new channel DOES show up, hopefully it'll be a regular cabel channel. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom