"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Very well done, Gobo. You should be very happy!

(I'm hijacking the thread for just a second: I'm proud of my 2 kids - the one in 8th grade is at a 3.83 GPA and the one in 6th is at a 4.0) Hooray!

Okay, back to Canada.....

???

You're not hijacking. It was about school in general. By all means, tell us about your kids, we want to hear.

How does the grading system work there?... I don't see it.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
Head Chef

In scaling the European Unions finances as they relate to us I found out today it might be better finanially for us if I go back to university in Italy than if I get a part time job.......its very, very tempting.....Dr Lulu sounds good, huh? Thing is I cannot commit to being there for the duration of a complete course. Might get a post graduate diploma in something though, that would be fun! DH was back at school with his law conversion until last June, so perhaps I should take a turn? Food for thought.......

Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I found out recently that I might be able to get paid for going to graduate school. Of course the degree would be in management for non-profit organizations, which I really have no interest in, but they would pay my tuition, my RENT (or a portion of it depending where i choose to live), as well as a $1500 stipend for living expenses. I'm barely squeaking by on like... $800 a month, working my butt off at the restaurant. To make that kind of money without having to work would be awesome~! I just need an exceptional GRE score to impress the deans with, and I should be in!

I haven't decided if I want to do it yet though, because 2-3 more years of school sounds extraordinarily unappealing.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

No more school for me. Not for awhile anyway. I just got my Master's of Curriculum and Instruction (3.88, 3 A- and the rest A). My stress level has dropped like you wouldn't believe since I finished my classes a few weeks ago!

Good job Goboenomo and Joani's boys.

Barbara
Old 11-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
Senior Cook

College Cook, years and years ago I signed up to do a graduate course at the local university because it included a teaching position with pay that would cover the tuition, and leave enough over for extras. (My DH had hit a downturn with his job, and was suddenly earning a lot less.) Never really thought of it as a career move, but just having that piece of paper has opened a lot of doors. Good luck on your decision!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I just got my first report card.

Accounting - 82% Class average - 83%
Business - 87% Class average - 75%
Math - 96% Class average - 56%
Overall Average - 88.3%

I think my marks should all be going up soon.
In math i just wrote a unit test which im very sure i got 100% on.
I was talking to my teacher about that disappointing class average when I bumped into him at a party last night. Isn't that a crazy average! And crazy that I bumped into my teacher!
In business my mark is separated into 2 parts. 50% of my mark is homework, and 50% is tests. On this mark I have 100% on homework and 76% on every test. But just yesterday I got 2 tests that broke the trent, they were 84 and 86%.
And in accounting we are doing a unit I think I'm doing quite well in. It's a section on Bonds, Future value, Present value, and annuities.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFrench
College Cook, years and years ago I signed up to do a graduate course at the local university because it included a teaching position with pay that would cover the tuition, and leave enough over for extras. (My DH had hit a downturn with his job, and was suddenly earning a lot less.) Never really thought of it as a career move, but just having that piece of paper has opened a lot of doors. Good luck on your decision!

That's the other thing- I've thought for awhile now that it might be a lot of fun to teach at the University level. Unfortunately, I'm just feeling really burned out on school right now, and have felt that way for awhile... and I'd need a Master's or PhD to teach at the school I currently attend. I mean, I've been going to school since I was five, and working at least one job ever since I was 15, sometimes 2 or 3 jobs. Now it's nearly 7 years later, and I've had enough of school+35 hour work weeks. Throw in the fact that I may or may not want to attend culinary school and pursue that as a career... (sigh) I get the feeling I'm in for quite a ride over the next couple of years as I ginish up school and figure out what I really want out of my career.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #18
Head Chef

Ack! My math mark went down to 95%.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Heres a tip for the folks going to college. DONT take business.
What a waste of $80K. Now Im stuck in gov't computer sales and want to leap off a building.
Wasabi, will YOU take me in? I clean! Im funny! I fix things too.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #20
Head Chef

I'm going into business.... well commerce which covers businesses and accounting and whatnot.
I'm playing $5000 (Canadian) a year.... $80k is crazy!