"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Honey Badger

As a Mom who had the guts and determination to do it. I home schooled both of my boys.

I didn't appreciate at the time when my oldest was 7 and in a public school. His teacher felt the need to keep him dumbed down because the other kids in his class weren't able to read, write, or do basic math. Or speak English. That wasn't my problem or his. I had him well prepared before he even started Kindergarten. That was my responsibility.

If you want your kids taught in this state. Do it yourself.

If having a career for your own self gratification, to keep up with the Jone's 5 cars and a boat in the driveway. Well by all means do it. Not because we have to to survive back up story. Don't worry your kids in a public school. They will be taught exactly what the Government wants them to be taught. Johnny might not be able to read by the time he's in High school. That's ok to. If Johnny can play ball. They will carry his Educational Ball for him.

Here's an interesting article.

I Quit, I Think - John Taylor Gatto

Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
As a Mom who had the guts and determination to do it. I home schooled both of my boys.

I didn't appreciate at the time when my oldest was 7 and in a public school. His teacher felt the need to keep him dumbed down because the other kids in his class weren't able to read, write, or do basic math. Or speak English. That wasn't my problem or his. I had him well prepared before he even started Kindergarten. That was my responsibility.

If having a career for your own self gratification, to keep up with the Jone's 5 cars and a boat in the driveway. Well by all means do it. Not because we have to to survive back up story. Don't worry your kids in a public school. They will be taught exactly what the Government wants them to be taught. Johnny might not be able to read by the time he's in High school. That's ok to. If Johnny can play ball. They will carry his Educational Ball for him.

Way to go Munky, my daughter in law home schooled both of my older grand daughters. Both ar into Rodeo and can barrell race, rope, and ride like the wind but their education is spot on. Both garner all a and at times an a- we are so proud of these girls. Both smart beautiful and full of life. Home school I'd do it if it would help a child.
Good for you. Your the kind of parent I'd give a standing ovation
kades
Wanna meet at Philes sometime soon?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

claire, i'm not sure what you meant about older parents not having the patience to teach their children, but on face vslue i have to strongly disagree.

in my limited experience as an older parent, i find that i have tremendous patience with my son. even with other people's kids. i realized the latter when i joined the cub scouts with my son and was running the pack within a few months.

life can get you down at times, but all i have to do is hear my son or the scouts ask a question, or want to play something and any aggravation or stress in me washes away and i almost naturally drop everything (and sometimes have to make time for him/them - which i do with extreme prejudice) and i focus on the only thing that matters.

i'm not saying this because i'm some wonderful or gifted person, but rather i've found that the other older parents that we've understandably become close to are the same way. in fact, the top 4 or 5 kids in my son's kindergarten and first grade classes have older parents. it's coming down to the end of the year and my son is in the running for student of the year, along with other children all of older parents.

i think a large part is not only due to life experience, where you are more selfless because you've accomplished the things you might have (and haven't lol) wanted to have done, but a deeper appreciation for the greatest blessing one can have outside of one's own life. marriage is a very close second, where two become spiritually one, but a child is physically part of you and your soulmate. even understanding the depth and importance of what a soulmate means.

when i first noticed the success of my son's classmates and the age of their parents,i was curious about it. i've asked those parents what they've done to make their kids so smart and well behaved, and they all just seem to have taken the time to do what was needed with great understanding and patience.

ok, so to your query, i totally agree the school should be teaching the practical lessons you've mentioned (to be reinforced by the parents), along with other things that helps expand a child's mind. music was my first thought. i don't mean listening to or appreciation of, but reading sheet music and and playing an instrument.

it teaches timing, cooperation, math in a practical application, the appreciation of beauty, and the ability to be craetive.

lol, sorry i was so long winded. it's a matter close to my heart.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Everymom

Well, I can't comment on schooling in the US, but I'm more than satisfied with the schooling my girls are getting in our public school system. I have my own prejudices, and they have to do with the kind of teaching schools CAN'T do. They aren't allowed to teach morals or values anymore and believe me...kids need that. Teaching kids the golden rule is, IMO, one of the most important lessons they could learn. Basic manners and social graces should be taught as well. And yes, I agree that parents should ideally be the ones to teach those things.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #16
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Way to go Munky, my daughter in law home schooled both of my older grand daughters. Both ar into Rodeo and can barrell race, rope, and ride like the wind but their education is spot on. Both garner all a and at times an a- we are so proud of these girls. Both smart beautiful and full of life. Home school I'd do it if it would help a child.
Good for you. Your the kind of parent I'd give a standing ovation
kades
Wanna meet at Philes sometime soon?
Wow Kades I didn't know that.. That's awesome.
Another thing we have in common :) I'd be a proud Grandma to!

I didn't do it for the glory. It was a lot of hard dedicated work. It was my job to get it done.
They weren't allowed to type up the daily essays on a lap top. Or do math on a calculator. I made them use pencils, pens, and their minds to figure it out. No free rides around here. Go work for it. I was a mean teacher.. ;)

They, I think received more of an education from my husband and I then they ever would have around here in a public school. So much goes into it. Both have turned out to be very nice, thoughtful, trustworthy, well rounded,intelligent Men. I can't say that about some of the neighbors kids. They scare me..

My oldest graduates in 3 weeks. He's off to State Uni.
My youngest the one you met. Will be taking his Exit Exam to graduate early from High School next month. He's 16. He's really been cramming for that. I keep telling him not to worry. Do the best you can. He's incredibly shy, a little uncertain right now. But once once he gets going on it he will do just fine.

Sending you a pm about Phil's..

Munky.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
Master Chef

Ouch! Did not mean to trash all older parents. I DO know some who have much more patience for their second families than for their first, are retired so have time to spend with them, etc. It is all individual, and I'm sorry for lumping it together.

I am not a parent, I'll say that up front. I took 4 years of high school home ec for an "easy A", but have to say, I got much of what is previously mentioned from it. We had to spend one quarter working in a child care center (for teachers' kids). Every once in awhile husband or friend(s) will ask me, "How do you know that?" when I come up with odd nutritional facts or something about baby care. What my sister learned in "early childhood education" in college, I learned in high school home ec.

But I'm sadly disappointed to learn that kids still graduate from high school without being able to balance a checkbook or manage credit, and I think that should be a math class, and mandatory.