"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

School shooting in Florida

Such an awful day. I've been distracted all afternoon by the horrifying shooting at the high school in Parkland, FL, today. Seventeen people have died, three are in surgery. There could still be casualties in the school buildings. So sad for the students and their families

Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

At the risk of having people say, "Its a new life in America, old man", I have to ask, "What the hell has happened to our country?"

My heart, prayers and sympathy goes out to the victims and their families and friends..

P.S. I'm glad I'm old and lived in a time when a minimum of this crap happened..

Ross

Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I just read about it about twenty minutes ago. I've been busy all day.

Ross, I hate to say it, but I've kind of accepted this kind of mass shooting as the "new normal," and really don't think we are going to do anything about it, beyond "thoughts and prayers."

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

The shooter was a 19 year old former student. They've been doing interviews with students and they all were afraid of him because of things he said and actions before he was expelled. His brother has also been arrested. They were in the foster care system and apparently had recently lost their foster mother. There are still parents who have not been reunited with or even had contact with their children. The school is only about 10 minutes from our home.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

More than anything else, these school shootings sadden me.

Then we will be inundated with repeated news reports about this horrific event to the point where I cannot listen anymore.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
More than anything else, these school shootings sadden me.

Then we will be inundated with repeated news reports about this horrific event to the point where I cannot listen anymore.
I have reached a point where headlines about XX number of people killed by mass shooter don't shock me anymore. I still feel sad, but I'm no longer shocked. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has gotten to that point.

In a few days, the same old discussions -- well, arguments would be a better description -- about guns and mental health will dominate the news cycles, but in the end, we will not actually DO anything. In a few months, there will be another shooting, and we'll go though the same cycle. Shampoo, rinse, repeat.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The news said this was the 18th school shootings in 13 states so far this year.

-- another old man here shaking his stick stupidly at the empty sky.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I am disgusted once again by the executive producers at Univision news.

Hours after the shooting happened, they were still showing videos of students stepping over dead bodies laying in pools of blood whe they escaped the carnage.

Wtf is wrong with them? They did the same thing on 9/11/01, showing close-ups of people jumping from the towers.

The FCC will fine you if you show a boobie, or say the F word, but death of children? No problem.

Nonetheless, my prayers tonight are for those 17 families.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I am disgusted once again by the executive producers at Univision news.

Hours after the shooting happened, they were still showing videos of students stepping over dead bodies laying in pools of blood whe they escaped the carnage.

Wtf is wrong with them? They did the same thing on 9/11/01, showing close-ups of people jumping from the towers.

The FCC will fine you if you show a boobie, or say the F word, but death of children? No problem.

Nonetheless, my prayers tonight are for those 17 families.
I have mixed feelings about showing the carnage on TV. On one hand, it is in very poor taste, and will certainly hurt some people, and offend a lot of people. But, on the other hand, maybe we as a people need a bitter dose of reality.

Think about this, we watch movies where actors are "killed" in horrific detail, and we call it entertainment. When you see the real thing, it's not entertaining. It makes you cringe, and maybe a bit queazy.

I'm not sure where the line should be drawn. Maybe you fuzz out the faces, which is easy to do, to to hide identities. I don't know. I DO know that I'm tired of all the talking, and nothing actually being done.

CD
Old 02-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

OMG, it's disrespectful to the families of the victims, to make them a video bite.

I understand the need for real learning, but that's for documentaries after the fact. Carefully crafted.

Not just fodder for the evening news.

This reminds me of The Kinks lyrics in Give the People What They Want: "We all sit glued as the killer takes aim... There goes a piece of the president's brain!" (in reference to the Zapruder film)

Closed Thread

Tags
florida