Scientists make beer from coffee grounds....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
ScienceShot: A Shot of Coffee That Gets You Drunk | Science/AAAS | News

To answer this call, some scientists examined the potential of used coffee grounds. The scientists first collected this raw material from a Portuguese coffee roasting company and dried it. Then they heated the powder in water at 163°C for 45 minutes, separated out the liquid, and added sugar. Next, the team mixed in yeast cells, let the concoction ferment, and concentrated the sample to get a higher alcohol content. (A similar process is used to produce other distilled beverages such as whiskey and rum from wheat and molasses.) And voilà! Used coffee grounds produced a new alcoholic beverage with 40% ethanol, comparable to other hard liquor such as vodka and tequila, researchers will report in the September issue of LWT - Food Science and Technology.

To answer this call, some scientists examined the potential of used coffee grounds. The scientists first collected this raw material from a Portuguese coffee roasting company and dried it. Then they heated the powder in water at 163°C for 45 minutes, separated out the liquid, and added sugar. Next, the team mixed in yeast cells, let the concoction ferment, and concentrated the sample to get a higher alcohol content. (A similar process is used to produce other distilled beverages such as whiskey and rum from wheat and molasses.) And voilà! Used coffee grounds produced a new alcoholic beverage with 40% ethanol, comparable to other hard liquor such as vodka and tequila, researchers will report in the September issue of LWT - Food Science and Technology.
I don't understand the excitement. First of all, why coffee grounds? It seems to me all they are doing is adding sugar, and you can use this same technique to ferment almost anything, including insects, grass clippings, or old gym socks, if you like. The key to fermentation is not in the coffee grounds, it's in the sugar, which is what yeast metabolize to create ethanol.

We have a saying among my winemaking friends: just because you CAN ferment something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. ;)

Not sure if it oughta be called beer ....80 proof beer is mighty powerful stuff.
'Course, I could be wrong...Seems like I recall that the Sam Adams brewery produced a high alcohol beer some time ago. Can't remember the alcohol content, though

Good grief! Next thing you know they'll be making fake hamburger out of eyes of newts or cow stem cells.

(I know - the subject has already been broached in another thread.)

Not sure if it oughta be called beer ....80 proof beer is mighty powerful stuff.
'Course, I could be wrong...Seems like I recall that the Sam Adams brewery produced a high alcohol beer some time ago. Can't remember the alcohol content, though

it is a get drunk quick booze...

Back
Top Bottom