"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Master Chef

I love sci-fi in general and the channel too. Though, usually I do not have enough time to watch it. Last night I tried to watch the Tin Man. But after making “to order” individual omelets for about 150 people, for kids’ school Chanukah party I was so tired I fell asleep after maybe 20 minutes. Too bad, I know I won’t get to see it tonight, and it looked pretty weird for me to like it.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Sous Chef

LOVED Tin Man last night! T-munus 1 hour and 30 min till part 2. For those of you that are recording other things or can't get to see it all, it will be aired again next sunday.

I think it's an awsome adaptation. You can definitly tell It's the story of The Wizard of Oz, but there's so many different directions they took to tell the core story that it's like watching an original movie. I love Alan Cumming, he rocks as Nightcrawler in X-men. And I also like Neal McDonough. Not a big name but I know you would recognize him if you saw him.

On imdb.com there are forums. There are people saying this version is horrible... It's not a remake, it's a different telling. I don't know why people can't just enjoy things for what they are and not analyze them.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
jeninga, be careful pulling opinions from the imdb forums...the website is a very very good place to get factual info (as in, who was in what, what year did it come out, etc), but the forums tend to very quickly devolve into flame wars. apparently, movies bring out the crazy in everyone.

just watched the 1st 2 parts tonight, will watch the 3rd tomorrow. it's fun, and i'm interested to see where they take the story for the end part.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Missed it last night will have to wait until they play it again.I would like to see them all at once and record them.I dont think its weird no different than Harry Potter or any other fantasy movie.Its a mistake to try and compare it to the original Wizard of OZ its not the same so they call it Tin Man.There was another version called the Wiz which also cant be compared to the original either.It is what it is.
As I said before Frank Baum wrote several other books and they are definitely off the wall like the people who carry their brains in cans and if your can of brains got stolen you were in dire straits for sure.I think The Wizard of Oz is quite tame compared to his other books.Has anyone read them besides me?I was about 12 and lived next to a Library and would devour books as we had no TV.
List of Oz books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've got the whole set Jp. I love them all!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver View Post
...and i'm interested to see where they take the story for the end part.
That's easy. The girl will get the ruby, she will get that evel person out of her big sister and she will become nice sister again. And everybody are going to live hapily ever after.

Missed last night again. Asked my wife to tape it for me, but she forgot, grrrrrr. Will have to catch up latter. When are they going to show all 3 episodes again?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Head Chef

Tonight at 7 EST they will show part 2, which was last night's episode.
Part three airs at 9, then again at 11.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Head Chef

Mmmmmmmmmmm... Kathleen Robertson... A good enough reason to watch anything.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Another thing Frank Oz wrote many other stories beside the Wizard of Oz I read them all as a child but cant recall much but they were just as spectacular as the one we all know
I hate to be picky... but Frank Oz is a Puppeteer (Muppets). He may very well be a good writer, but he didn't write the Wizard of Oz.

L. Frank Baum wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and he also wrote 13 other Oz stories, nine other fantasy novels, and a plethora of other works (55 novels in total, 82 short stories, over 200 poems, an unknown number of scripts, and many miscellaneous writings), and made numerous attempts to bring his works to the stage and screen.

I had no idea he had done so much. Busy fellow, yes?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
oh yeah, gotta watch tonight, thanks for the reminders, guys.

and Charlie, of *course* we know the generalities, but the *specifics* are still gonna be interesting. and it's an emerald they're hunting for, not a ruby. ;)