SciFi channel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:)Any one like the SciFi channel I do but not everything, tonight they have a new mini series called Tin Man a take off from the Wizard of Oz cant wait yes it a fairy tale but I love fairy tales.
Another thing Frank Oz wrote many other stories beside the Wizard of Oz I read them all as a child but cant recall much but they were just as spectacular as the one we all know

I enjoy some of the things on that channel. That mini series looked interesting, but we can only record 2 things at the same time on our DVR and our regular programs already took up those time slots. You will have to tell me how it was.

I know the original story was pretty creepy compared to the movie we all love but this just seemed a bit weird. I elected not to watch it and instead watched sappy Christmas stories on Lifetime.

I rather enjoyed Tin Man. Just hope I remember to watch Monday night, too.

Another very interesting... and strange.... movie was HOGSFATHER.

It is, believe it or not, a Christmas movie.... kind of. It is a mini-series, which
i didn't know till I was hooked... 4 hours in one sitting!

My college-aged son sent an email and wants us to record it so I guess I'll end up watching it at some point.

i saw the first hour and really liked it.

there's a lot of names and events that are quickly mentioned which need to be understood to fully enjoy it, as if you'd already read the book, so i'm hoping i can record it at some time in the future to give it a proper viewing.

Shoot, I forgot seeing that advertised when I was watching something else on SciFi. I had the football game on. As I will tonight.
I'm sure they'll rerun it and I will have to watch it then. It looked very interesting.

My son tells me there are 3 parts. Tonight will air parts 1 & 2 Then Tues. part 3. Next Sunday it is to air again with all 3 parts back to back to back. Hope he's right for those who missed it first time around.

I watched.. and hopefully will watch again tonight. It's really quite weird.

We watch sci-fi channel all the time.

Did you guys catch the new Battlestar that was on last week? It was really good.
Can't wait for the series to come back.

I love sci-fi in general and the channel too. Though, usually I do not have enough time to watch it. Last night I tried to watch the Tin Man. But after making “to order” individual omelets for about 150 people, for kids’ school Chanukah party I was so tired I fell asleep after maybe 20 minutes. Too bad, I know I won’t get to see it tonight, and it looked pretty weird for me to like it.

LOVED Tin Man last night! :clap:T-munus 1 hour and 30 min till part 2. For those of you that are recording other things or can't get to see it all, it will be aired again next sunday.

I think it's an awsome adaptation. You can definitly tell It's the story of The Wizard of Oz, but there's so many different directions they took to tell the core story that it's like watching an original movie. I love Alan Cumming, he rocks as Nightcrawler in X-men. And I also like Neal McDonough. Not a big name but I know you would recognize him if you saw him.

On imdb.com there are forums. There are people saying this version is horrible... It's not a remake, it's a different telling. I don't know why people can't just enjoy things for what they are and not analyze them. :(

jeninga, be careful pulling opinions from the imdb forums...the website is a very very good place to get factual info (as in, who was in what, what year did it come out, etc), but the forums tend to very quickly devolve into flame wars. apparently, movies bring out the crazy in everyone.

just watched the 1st 2 parts tonight, will watch the 3rd tomorrow. it's fun, and i'm interested to see where they take the story for the end part.

:)Missed it last night will have to wait until they play it again.I would like to see them all at once and record them.I dont think its weird no different than Harry Potter or any other fantasy movie.Its a mistake to try and compare it to the original Wizard of OZ its not the same so they call it Tin Man.There was another version called the Wiz which also cant be compared to the original either.It is what it is.
As I said before Frank Baum wrote several other books and they are definitely off the wall like the people who carry their brains in cans and if your can of brains got stolen you were in dire straits for sure.I think The Wizard of Oz is quite tame compared to his other books.Has anyone read them besides me?I was about 12 and lived next to a Library and would devour books as we had no TV.
List of Oz books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
...and i'm interested to see where they take the story for the end part.

That's easy. The girl will get the ruby, she will get that evel person out of her big sister and she will become nice sister again. And everybody are going to live hapily ever after. :LOL:

Missed last night again. Asked my wife to tape it for me, but she forgot, grrrrrr. Will have to catch up latter. When are they going to show all 3 episodes again?

Tonight at 7 EST they will show part 2, which was last night's episode.
Part three airs at 9, then again at 11.

Another thing Frank Oz wrote many other stories beside the Wizard of Oz I read them all as a child but cant recall much but they were just as spectacular as the one we all know

I hate to be picky... but Frank Oz is a Puppeteer (Muppets). He may very well be a good writer, but he didn't write the Wizard of Oz.

L. Frank Baum wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and he also wrote 13 other Oz stories, nine other fantasy novels, and a plethora of other works (55 novels in total, 82 short stories, over 200 poems, an unknown number of scripts, and many miscellaneous writings), and made numerous attempts to bring his works to the stage and screen.

I had no idea he had done so much. Busy fellow, yes?

oh yeah, gotta watch tonight, thanks for the reminders, guys.

and Charlie, of *course* we know the generalities, but the *specifics* are still gonna be interesting. and it's an emerald they're hunting for, not a ruby. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom