Scottish Ancestry anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're going to visit a friend in the hospital in Scotland County, NC--does that count? LOL Actually the town we are going to (Laurinburg) is the sister city of Oban, Scotland. From what I understand, many people from Scotland settled in this area long ago.

:)Barbara

We're going to visit a friend in the hospital in Scotland County, NC--does that count? LOL Actually the town we are going to (Laurinburg) is the sister city of Oban, Scotland. From what I understand, many people from Scotland settled in this area long ago.

:)Barbara

There are more people of Scottish lineage in GA, NC, and AL than there are in Scotland.

I saw the title of the thread: Scottish Ancestry anyone? and thought, Yep, that's me. I'm half Scot with Stewart, Mckenzie and McAndrew blood in me (the other half is Austrian Jew, I'm bullheaded and darned cheap, I wonder where I get it from?? LOL!).

... So I see Uncle Cailean out in the field poking at the cow patties with his cane. I Yell, 'Uncle Cal, what are you doing?' , he says "Aye, Marky, I was feeding th Cows this 'morn when a nickel fell out 'o me pocket" ....

I opened the thread and see Burns Night Supper .... My guts tightened. PLEASE don't write that word ... I felt compelled to read on as memories of the Burns suppers I went to as a child came back to me ... I'm not clicking on the links, I don't want to see it ... the thread moves away from Burns, cool, then there it is!

Haggis.

My stomach wrenches and starts crawling up my throat ....

I went to several Burns Dinners as a child. I ate my share of Haggis the first time. It must not have been that bad.

The last dinner I went to all I can remember about the Haggis was the odor of dank burlap smelling better than the Haggis tasted. They were cooking it in a sack of some sort, not tripe.

Haggis done right is ... eatable. At best.

Haggis done poorly is torture.

I'm proud of my ancestry but, darn, no wonder my great grandfather brought the family here from the Old Country.

Yup. The Scottish food isn't exactly the best in the world. I guess it's the price we pay for being such good looking. :cool:

you got that one right ... MacKinnon clan here ..
i remember when they served haggis on Burns day
at school .. i never really cared for it ...

I'd never had haggis before until last Friday night.
It had been made by the local butcher and it was absolutely delicious. The company we ate it in was fantastic as well. We had a really lovely evening amongst good friends.

I'm a lot Scottish, no Burns supper for me though. Haggis, hmmmmm, I can honestly say I'd like to try it and I can honestly say it sounds disgusting.
If you can read and understand Ode to a Haggis by Rabbie Burns you can maybe begin to appreciate this dish.

Last edited:
We had the "Address to the Haggis" read to us, after it had been' piped in'. I didn't understand a lot of it but I did enjoy the haggis, neeps and tatties.

I don't know aboot the Haggis but I LOVE neeps an tatties!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve (hand) a blade,

He'll make it whissle;
An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned, (fly)

Like taps o' thrissle. (tops o' thistle)

That verse sort of says it all.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom