Scottish Ancestry anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
Tonight many people with Scottish ancestry have a Burn's Night Supper.

Robert Burns' Scotland

These are some of the recipes which might be used

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.d...&diet=&servings=&pager.offset=0&publicationID=

We are going to such a supper tonight. These are the flowers with which the Hostess will be presented :)

img_539090_0_4ed77fbd9afa568d327fdc43f94b144b.jpg

You know, I'm like... the tiniest little bit of scottish that you might ever find in a person, lol. Mostly Croat and Irish though. Thanks for the recipe link, some of those looked pretty interesting.

hmmm, I'm a wee bit Campbell too. Two of my 4 greats grandparents were a Little from Belholm, Dumfries who married a Campbell in Scotland in 1762. I just have a small handful of Scots in my ancestry.

My paternal grandparents were from the Isle of Harris. My father always attended Robert Burns'festivities. I guess I should have a wee drop of scotch to celebrate tonight.:)

Is Anderson Scotish? I had a grandmother or maybe she was greatgrandmother Anderson, maiden name.

maybe not so much. Ancestry.com has this to say about the surname, Anderson;

Most anderson immigrants to the US (30802) came from Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland

Last edited:
Cooking Scotch or Irish

Most anderson immigrants to the US (30802) came from Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland

So I guess I have a wee bit of Irish in me, better improve my corned beef and cabbage and Irish soda bread (the bread has a way to go yet):chef:
Thanks

I'm half Swedish and half German, but I have always wanted to visit Scotland. Hopefully I will be able to someday.

:)Barbara

Actually, I am betting that most Andersons were from Sweden but sailed here from Liverpool or Queenstown, both port cities that sent out ships to America with immigrants from all over Europe on them.

Actually Ancestry.com confirms this. More Andersons in the US came from Sweden than any other place by a huge, huge margin.

anderson Immigration Records

Last edited:
Clan Fraser here - My mother's maiden name is Simpson. the family left Scotland during "The Clearings" in 1770 headed for Nova scotia, shipwrecked on Prince Edward Island - my mother had 101 first cousins on that island!! She was born in 1921.

Not too much Scottish traditions in our family, so I will learn.

Someday maybe we can be in Scotland for a Bobby Burns' night.

Actually my mom was a Wallace but I never put much stock in my heritage. A number of years ago went to Scotland for a vacation and fell in love with the place, me, with a bit of Scottish blood, and a one hundred percent German. Who would have thunk?

A very beautiful country and great folks.

But to me a Bobby Burns' dinner requires a haggis, and have had the McCo. Until we tried the stuff, admittedly with a tad of Scottish courage in our veins, we thought it would be like eating odiferous cat guts.

Were we ever wrong. OK, it is not ambrosia but it is tasty and we always go out of our way to get some whenever we get there. we need out haggis fix. Out visits are not very often but we love the place. And the dish.

It is sorta like a loose meatloaf, and I have trouble tasting any of the liver in it.

There is also lamb heart, but anyone who has had canned chili has probably had heart, beef that is.

And haggis, with some oats and stuff, is basically heart, liver and lung of the sheep.

It is the lung part why Americans cannot have haggis. When I used to work in stores many years ago as a kid one could buy lung. It has since been banned. Suppose it is because the feds are worried about TB, but know folks who grow goats and we can legally get their milk and cheese. And those can sure transmit TB.

Anyway I would love to go to a Bobby Burns' night, but without a haggis it is like a baseball game without a hot dog.

Just my take on things.

Back
Top Bottom