Sears telemarketer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the end the people doing the work may be people, but they work for scum.
That is an aweful large blanket statement that you are making. I have done telemarketing for one of the nations largest banks. I helped people save tens of thousands of dollars by getting better interest rates on their home equity lines or loans. I would hardly call that scummy. And even as I was saving people all this money I would get those would would equate me to about equal with a child molester because I interrupted their dinner.

That is an aweful large blanket statement that you are making. I have done telemarketing for one of the nations largest banks. I helped people save tens of thousands of dollars by getting better interest rates on their home equity lines or loans. I would hardly call that scummy. And even as I was saving people all this money I would get those would would equate me to about equal with a child molester because I interrupted their dinner.
My problem with telemarketers is that if they are ignoring the don't call list, they are then violating federal law. Why would anybody deal with someone who's first step in dealing with you is breaking the law?

Well if they are violating the do not call list then that is certainly a legitimate issue. I am on the do not call list, but have only ever received calls from those who are exempt.

I am on the Do Not Call list. I don't understand Exemptions. I do not want anyone calling me that I didn't give my phone number to. Anyone. Ever. I feel it is an invasion of my privacy and I resent it highly that anyone can have an exemption to MY privacy.

I'm also on the do not call list and still get calls. My responses depend on how many times I have told the same place to not call me and remove my name from their list. After the second repeat call, I have the right to be rude and I report them. Repeat calls from siding or window companies are invited to come on over...I don't tell them this if it's a first call. And I keep a notebook by the phone for listing the names of places that do call.

Three strikes and you're out. It's MY phone, It's MY number. I can answer it any way I want.

I just tell them I'm just out of prison for fraud, they seem to share the info. I have not had a call in 2 years, you dont have to be rude, just use your noodle.

Our local paper would call and I would say "take us off your list". Then a couple weeks later same thing. This kept getting repeated. One day I said "I have asked to be taken off the call list several times". The person responded that this was a different department and you only get taken off the list from the person's department that called you. I was quite firm with the person and we never got another call from them.

Since I recently moved here and have a new cell phone, I can see the phone number of my caller, and have the option of ignoring and deleting the call without answering.

All the telemarketing calls so far have different area codes than mine, and all the ones with my area code have been wrong numbers. So far.

i don't get rude, but since i didn't ask them to call and they somehow got around the do not call list, when a telemarketer calls - no matter who it is, i ask them politely to hold on. then i put the phone down.

a few minutes later it does that fast beeping , "off the hook" thing, so i hang up.

they rarely call back.

being paranoid, i wouldn't doubt that there's a "don't call - waste of time" list that telemarketers keep, or maybe a sucker list. people who talk with anyone.

Last edited:
If you are on the do not call list and they keep calling then you have a better option than resorting to being rude. Keep a list, as some of you already do and file a complaint. It is VERY easy to do and it is the mature thing to do. There are monetary penalties for companies that break the rules. Money is what it is all about. Being rude or playing games with the person on the other end of the phone is going to get you nowhere. As a matter of fact it will end up playing against you. When you tell a telemarketer to F off do you think he smiles and says oh what a nice person. I will just go and remove them from the list. In some cases you will have gotten someone who you upset so much that not only do they not remove you from the list, but the put you back in for a return call sooner rather than later. You catch more flies with honey.

It is not the person on the other end of the phone who you should be mad at. Are you mad at the guy pumping your gas for the BP oil spill? Are you upset with the person at McDonalds who takes your order for the poor quality of the food? Are you upset with Customer Service Rep at the electric company because your power went out during the Super Bowl?

Next time you are dealing with a telemarketer and you are going to tell them to F off or any number of other things I have heard here I highly suggest you ask yourself how you would feel if someone treated your daughter or grandmother the way you are about to treat that person. I would also suggest that you ask yourself if you would do the same thing if this person was standing face to face with you instead of being over the phone. If the answer to either of these questions is no then perhaps you may want to reconsider how you are about to treat another fellow human being.

Being rude or playing games with the person on the other end of the phone is going to get you nowhere. As a matter of fact it will end up playing against you. When you tell a telemarketer to F off do you think he smiles and says oh what a nice person. I will just go and remove them from the list. In some cases you will have gotten someone who you upset so much that not only do they not remove you from the list, but the put you back in for a return call sooner rather than later. You catch more flies with honey.
I absolutely agree with this. One example where this has happened to me on several occasions is they will put you on auto dial with no message on the other end.

That is actually not what has happened. The telemarketer has no way of doing that. They sit at a computer as hit a key depending o. What happened on the call. They hit one key for answering machine, another for sale, another for not interested, another for call back, etc. What you have experienced is the predictive dialer which is probably the most evil invention regarding telemarketing. A computer dials 4 lines per rep assuming that 3 will be answering machines or no answers. If more than one line answers then you get dead air. Again, this is not the fault of the person making the call. It is the fault of the company they work for.

the ones that i really hate. upon answering the phone, one is asked to please hold. how nuts is that. why would they think that putting one on hold for a telemarketing message would induce anyone to buy?

Back
Top Bottom