Seasoned Asphalt... Tasty..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhettoRacingKid

Sous Chef
Iowa town's roads well seasoned -- chicagotribune.com

Iowa Town Uses Garlic Salt To De-Ice The Roads

By Meg Marco, 4:39 PM on Wed Dec 17 2008, 3,950 views
saltygarlicyroads.jpg
The roads in a certain Iowa town are deliciously garlic-y. They've been using garlic salt to de-ice the streets.
Yes, Ankeny, Iowa is a suburb of Des Moines. It's like any other town — except for one important distinction. City crews are out spreading garlic salt on the streets.
The garlic salt, which would have ended up in a landfill if it hadn't been donated by Tone Brothers Inc., a local spice producer, apparently works just fine when mixed with regular road salt.
Public Works Administrator Al Olson told the media that the only side-effect is that some public workers say it makes them hungry.
One such employee, who was interviewed by a local news crew, said, "It makes you feel like ordering a steak and a baked potato."
Another worker said his dog started licking the garlic from his pants when he got home.
"We'll take any kind of salt that we can get," said the city's representative.
Iowa town's roads well-seasoned [Chicago Tribune]
Spice company donates garlic salt to road crews [KATU] (Thanks, Abe !)

You know. I always wanted to move a gardening zone or 2 south.
I think I will pack up and head down 35 because THATS MY KINDA PLACE!!!!!!
(plus it's warmer)

I can just imagine all the road kill that garlic will attract. As if licking the salt wasn't enough.

Didn't I read about a stretch of highway (where escapes me) that plays a song, or sings, or something silly, as you drive along it?

All this is well & good, but I'd appreciate them repairing the roads first!:LOL:

I saw this on the news. I am, for one, glad it isn't in my city. I would be sick smelling that. I know it's not popular on this forum but I am not a garlic lover.

Hmmmmm just a thought....
does this give all new meaning to "Feasting on Asphalt"?????
:)
yes I am a dork.

Very good Suzi!
Nice AB reference in conjunction with a play on words. Karma on the way ;^)

That's weird..... it won't let me.
Well, give yourself some karma for me!

Back
Top Bottom