"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Seeds are in!

I wasn't going to be left with a bunch of green tomatos this year.

I also made some changes in what I planted because of the space I alloted.

Last year: Carrots, Bib & Romaine lettuce (all failed), string beans, Tomatoes & Romas (planted too late), Cucumbers (killed off the lettuce), Green peppers (tomatoes blocked the sunlight).

This year: Peas, Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Big Beef Tomatoes. Green peppers coming soon.

What do the rest of you plant? Any tips?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

We bought the tomatos, jalapenos, cukes, red, green and orange peppers, the romaine and head lettuce plants.

These are from seeds - radishes, carrots, beets, eggplant, chard, leeks, green beans, chinese pea pods and peas, black simpson lettuce, lima beans and probably a couple more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Everything is coming up beautifully!

Each of my rows are 3' (sometimes I made 2 rows of the seeds/plants) so this is not a huge garden...18'x12', with an 18" path right up the middle. It's only my 2nd year of planting anything besides tomatos so I don't have any tips except cross your fingers.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Anyone else over seed, then thin the crop out?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I bought the book Square Foot Gardening and I suggest you check it out of the library. If you over seed, you're just wasting plants. The author suggests you put a seeds at the distance that the packet says because 99% of the time they'll grow. I used seeds that I bought last year at the end of they year when they were on sale. Everything is growing.

The only plants that I have to thin are the black simpson lettuce because the seeds were so small that that I accidently dropped way too many into the rows.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
Anyone else over seed, then thin the crop out?
DH does a lot of the planting and he ALWAYS overseeds. So far all he has planted is spinach and it germinated a few days ago. I am waiting for the next rain to thin the plants. He always overplants, must be some insecurity. I can deal with the spinach because it is easy to thin. But I allow him the priviledge of thinning the carrots. My hands do not work so well and I can not grasp the tiny carrot seedlings.

Tips?

How high is your fence?

Can you do a rain dance?

Check your plants daily. Look for bugs or anything else going wrong.

Keep the veggies weeded.

Plant something every week/every other week/monthly, especially greens

Don't handle the plants when they are wet.

Harvest plants at all stages of growth. I find it especially fun to harvest really young veggies. gotta get your kicks somewhere

Ask lotsa questions here.

I have marked on my calendar that yesterday put us 8 weeks from our last frost free date. I will be buying potatoes tomorrow and probably planting them this weekend. Still too early for me to start tomato, pepper and flowers. Gee, I think I can start my broccoli and cabbage plants
Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Sous Chef

You can get your tomatoes started but until the nights are 60* nothing will happen much.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
You can get your tomatoes started but until the nights are 60* nothing will happen much.
Not around my place . Plenty can happen, the cats can lay on the trays, the plants can die of damping off disease, mice can eat the seedlings, and for sure, I would have to haul the trays outside in the mornings and back inside in the evenings. Not a big deal you say?, but I can have up to 20 flats of seedlings. I wait until the last minute to start the tomato and pepper plants, cuts down on the excitement.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

I would love to have a yard where I could plant vegetables but unfortunately I live in a condo and there is no yard.

Good luck with your planting.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
I would love to have a yard where I could plant vegetables but unfortunately I live in a condo and there is no yard.

Good luck with your planting.
You can always find certain herbs or other plants that can grow indoors.

vvvvvvv - will have some good ideas.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I've got my seedlings growing in the window so I'll be ready when they are!
Happy planting to all!