"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

The worst thing I ever sent back was a MacDonald's Big Extra that had more salt than meat. Okay, so Mickey D's is not a fine dining restaurant. However, I don't have to be subjected to a heart-attack on a bun. I went up to the counter and said "this burger is way too salty". The guy says "well you have to order it unseasoned if you don't want any on it." I say "no, I like seasoning but this has a whole box of salt in it." He says they are all seasoned alike and I say take a bite. He says he can't do that, and I say get the manager. The manager says if you don't want your burger seasoned you have to ask for it that way. I say fine, just give me a new burger and I will be fine. So, they give me a new burger "no seasoning". I mean none....nada....zilch. No salt, no pepper, no nothing. Just a bun and a patty, no lettuce, tomato, sauce. I open it up at the counter, take one bite, set in on the counter and walk out.

The funny thing is I have had food I have made in restaurants sent back because it was not seasoned enough. Every instructor, boss, collegue all say I am too timid with salt. I like some, but not enough that this is all I taste. I don't care if it is the most expensive restaurant in town or McDonald's.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook

That again, is a whole nother thread on stupid take away.

I once ordered a burger from burger king and specifically asked for no tomato. This was drive through, so we drive home, open it up and lo and behold, there is my slice of tomato sitting on top of my bun. Not only that, but the burger also had tomato in it anyway.

I was cracking up for ages about that one, I mean, what was this person thinking? Since when has anyone on the entire planet ordered a fast food burger with the tomato on TOP of the bun?

Another time, this one from McDonalds, drive through again, the Ute (truck) in front of me pull up to the window and a dog sticks its head out. The window attendant gives the dog a good pat, then proceeds to hand them their food, and then our food when we got to the window.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Tipping is not mandatory anywhere in the US, although most restaurants do now add a tip for parties of 8 or more. Some restaurants make all the servers, etc. share the tips, but I don't think most do.

I think the last thing I sent back was a salad. I can't stand cucumbers, and even if I manage to pick them all out I can still taste them. I always ask that my salad have no cucumbers. I once got a baked potato with a huge black center. I definitely sent that back.

Barbara
Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Tipping is definitely not required in th US. I adjust th percentage of my tip based on service. I send very little back, since I am fearful of what would happen in the kitchen then. There is a video on that somewhere, it's not pretty.

The IRS assumes that a certain percentage of either the restaurant's gross or the staff's salary, I forget which is a tip and demands tax be paid on that business.

I also think tip shareing is unfair to good performers.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
Head Chef

I seldom send things back. Sometimes I am not crazy about the way my dinner is but it usually comes down to the fact that I just don't like it. I did send a stuffed portabello mushroom back yesterday. It was room temp, not cooked enough and just not edible to me. By the time the server made her way back to me, I no longer had the desire to try another.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #16
Head Chef

We went to an Indian restaurant, ordered 2 dishes. Shortly after, the waiter appeared with our order, set it down and one of he dishes was not what we ordered. We told the waiter, he apologized, left both dishes there and returned with the proper dish ( so now we had 3 dishes, and yes, all of them were vegetarian, no soy chicken!!!). WHen we tried the dish we didnt order, it was great, and now we order it every time we go there. I guess they figured they would either have to throw it out, or serve it to the staff. So, by leaving it with us, we were able to sample something new and it worked out for both of us. Honestly, If I knew what the dish was, and I knew I was going to like it, I just would have told them to forget the originally ordered dish, but since we hadnt tried it before, I didnt want to risk my dinner over it .
Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
Master Chef

I sent back a steak once. I asked for medium rare and it was rare and COLD! The only other time I sent a dish back was because it was not what I ordered. THe waitress set the dish in front of me and it was not anything I had asked for. She reviewed her ticket and apologized. Returned a few minutes later with the correct food. As far as tipping, DH doesn't like the system of 15% or 20% of the food bill. Servers in less expensive restaurants work just as hard if not harder than ones in the high end places so he doesn't think we should tip more just because we paid more for the food. We tend to have a standard amount we tip.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I will only send food back if there is a major problem such as chicken that is not cooked through, completely wrong order, cold food that should be hot, etc. I will always be pleasant about it though. I do not need anyone taking out there frustration or anger with me on my food.

My standards also change with the type of restaurant I am at. If I am at a $50 a plate type of place then I will be more prone to send my steak back if it is not cooked the way I asked. If I am at The Outback though and I order med-rare and it comes out medium then I eat it without saying anything.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I tend to be a stickler when it comes to just about everything. Having said that, it's rarely necessary for me to ever send anything back. I frequent establishments that have top notch culinary/service staffs almost exclusively. I work hard enough for what I get paid...and don't mind paying for a great meal, but service and attention has to be spot on for me.
I understand that occasionally, a kitchen can have an off day. Sometimes a sauce doesn't taste the same way it did previously...but under or over cooked anything always gets returned. Luckily, it hardly ever happens.

Last time I sent something back was this past New Orleans trip. I ordered filet mignon, rare. It arrived medium well. It went back and a new steak was presented, cooked perfectly.

Time before that was at a restaurant on Mulberry Street in Little Italy. The entree came with a side of pasta. Clearly, the sauce had burned in the pot. There is no mistaking the taste of a burned pot. That went back. Another plate arrived with sauce that tasted fresh and redolent of basil.

Other than those two recent (and one was close to a year ago) events, I cannot recall the last time I sent anything back.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Master Chef

i ask fer a manager instead & get comped, then leave, hungry or not. don't want foreign matter with my food.