September 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today is also my niece's birthday. She turns 28 today. I was working in a doctor's office that day. We were getting things ready for the first patients when one of the docs arrived telling us about the first plane. He heard it on the radio. By the time we knew what was happening, we were filling up with patients. Some cancelled their appointments but not many. We live in an area surrounded by military installations. We have Army, Navy. Air Force and Coast Guard all here with Marines on each. Talk about a shut down. One of our patient's dad was active duty Army who had taken the morning off to come to his baby's check up. He got a call telling him to stay home because the base was on lock down - no one in or out. It was quite scary.

Yeah, I was living in Va Beach at the time, most EVERYTHING went on lock-down, a very surreal atmosphere in the 757 that day, and the weeks following.

Part of me still can't wrap my head around the fact, it is NOW OVER A DECADE. . . it's seems like yesterday, in some regards. . . just crazy.

Yeah. So much of it is still so fresh in our minds. Hard to believe it's been 11 years. We were on lockdown here, too. The town just kind of shut down.

Last edited:
I certainly don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but part of me is very surprised how quickly the sense of "we are all in this together" seemed to taper off.

I share a dual citizenship with the UK, and the USA, and while I haven't really been gung Ho patriotic either way, there was a sense of community, and a sense of Nationality after the attacks of 9/11 that I have never experienced since. It was like there were no strangers, people on the street made eye contact, people were a little more willing to help, the sense of humanity within the community was SO evident, that at times, it brought a tear to my eye. For a young adult(I was 24 at the time), I had NEVER sensed such a sense of "America", and patriotism. A sense of community, and a sense of "we can do ANYTHING if we put our minds to it, and work TOGETHER!"

here we are now, fast forward 11 years, and for the most part, everything is back to the same ole thing(unless you are at the airport, and lord help you and the TSA folks. . .), on an election year, and it seems that NOW the country is more divided/stretched further apart than I ever remember it. . .EVERYTHING is defined by the left, or the right, or liberal. . .the sense of ONE NATION, INDIVISIBLE, that was felt just a short 11 years ago, seems to be no more, and that saddens me a bit, not going to lie.

It is a horrible shame that this nation lost so many people on 9/11, but in their death/sacrifice, came a great sense of community, and togetherness that I can only imagine hadn't really been felt since the days of WWII. In their death, it brought people together, neighbors to meet neighbors, and made the community feel "whole".

It's a crying shame that it takes such a horrific event, to make something so simple like community come together. It shouldn't take such an event for us, as friends, countrymen, and residents of the free world to come together as a whole.

Last edited:
I was teaching a 4th grade class. I saw it first in a still photo on my computer while the kids were working. When I saw the picture of the 2nd tower being hit I realized that something big was happening.

I know someone who was supposed to be on the plane that went down in Pennsylvania. She missed the plane.

TATTRAT said:
I certainly don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but part of me is very surprised how quickly the sense of "we are all in this together" seemed to taper off.

I share a dual citizenship with the UK, and the USA, and while I haven't really been gung Ho patriotic either way, there was a sense of community, and a sense of Nationality after the attacks of 9/11 that I have never experienced since. It was like there were no strangers, people on the street made eye contact, people were a little more willing to help, the sense of humanity within the community was SO evident, that at times, it brought a tear to my eye. For a young adult(I was 24 at the time), I had NEVER sensed such a sense of "America", and patriotism. A sense of community, and a sense of "we can do ANYTHING if we put our minds to it, and work TOGETHER!"

here we are now, fast forward 11 years, and for the most part, everything is back to the same ole thing(unless you are at the airport, and lord help you and the TSA folks. . .), on an election year, and it seems that NOW the country is more divided/stretched further apart than I ever remember it. . .EVERYTHING is defined by the left, or the right, or liberal. . .the sense of ONE NATION, INDIVISIBLE, that was felt just a short 11 years ago, seems to be no more, and that saddens me a bit, not going to lie.

It is a horrible shame that this nation lost so many people on 9/11, but in their death/sacrifice, came a great sense of community, and togetherness that I can only imagine hadn't really been felt since the days of WWII. In their death, it brought people together, neighbors to meet neighbors, and made the community feel "whole".

It's a crying shame that it takes such a horrific event, to make something so simple like community come together. It shouldn't take such an event for us, as friends, countrymen, and residents of the free world to come together as a whole.

Amen

Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud to Be An American” brought tears to my eyes every time I heard it following 9/11. This morning, I walked into one of my buildings, and the kids were all singing along with the video up on the screen. Beautiful and poignant.

Last edited:
I was working for a company owned by middle easterns. That office was SCARED. We had several tv's on nobody moved away from them. They went from making millions to shutting down the next year because nobody wanted to hear their voices on the phone. Most of them had already seen extreme violence and had family killed/murdered in their own countries.

Back
Top Bottom