Set the wayback Machine to 1965, Sherman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Back in the 60's, common fare in this part of the world is what I'm making tonight, hamburgers, boiled potatoes with butter, and a canned veggie.

Don't know why I'd get hungry for such a thing, but I am. The burger will be pan-fried, with a little S & P, and the potatoes boiled until soft. But instead of the canned veggie, I'm steaming zucchini, no sauce. And I'm going to enjoy every bite. This would also be great with pan-fried pork chops, again seasoned simply. Not going gourmet here, just gut-filling and tasty.

When you want to go old-school, what to you prepare?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Macaroni and beef with tomatoes. In Maine it's called "American Chop Suey", I've noticed in other places including here in the south it's called "goulash" not to be confused with Hungarian goulash.

This is just a simple dish with cheap ingredients. A great way to stretch ground beef to feed a crew.

Macaroni and beef with tomatoes. In Maine it's called "American Chop Suey", I've noticed in other places including here in the south it's called "goulash" not to be confused with Hungarian goulash.

This is just a simple dish with cheap ingredients. A great way to stretch ground beef to feed a crew.

I started making that for my older daughter 20 years ago. She loved it in the school cafeteria(!) so I re-created it for her. When we go to Aruba each year, I have to make a batch for my step-daughter and SIL for the day they arrive. It's become a two-family tradition.

However, when I wax nostalgic for the food of my youth I usually make an Armenian dish. It's a soup made with sauteed onion, garlic and ground beef in chicken broth with small shells seasoned with a heavy dose of mint. It's served with a healthy dollop of plain yogurt and brings back fond memories of my mom.

Last edited:
Oh man, I hadn't even scrolled beyond the Chief's entry and had not yet seen BC's before I was already thinking (American) goulash!
Never heard it called American chop suey or Johnny Marzetti until I was well into adult age. It was regularly served for school lunch, and it was something that re-heated easily for work lunch. And I never get tired of eating it at home for supper.

I haven't thought of this from a nostalgia perspective-- one of the things I still make is my mom's fried potatoes. Peeled, thin sliced like scalloped potatoes, then shallow fry until brown on both sides. She used Lard or Crisco, I use peanut oil. Good thing we were a small family, as these cook better in single layer small batches. Still, she would have had to make several pans when my bro and I were teenagers. We almost always had these with pan fried fish. I serve these with pan fried pork chops, and sometimes just a plate of potatoes drizzled with catsup or salsa is enough for dinner.

Beet pickles. Now there's a craving I sometimes have to fill. Whenever I have sliced beets slathered in butter for dinner, and it's not often, I cook the remaining beets from the bunch bought at the market, and make simple beet pickles and put in a jar in the frig. Not enough to get the canning kettle out, but enough to have on hand for a little while. Yum.

For me, a cold Saturday Night baked bean sandwich. My take to school lunch every Monday. In fact half the school. No matter how much my mother made on Saturday, it never made it to Tuesday morning.

About once a year I make a small pot for my daughter and her husband. I should buy her a bean pot and teach her how to make them. It is an all day affair. Great if you are planning anything special for Saturday outside the home. :angel:

I think about some pretty basic "day before payday" meals.

Pancakes, french toast or eggs and fried potatoes for dinner was always a big hit with us when we were kids.

The cheapest hotdogs cut into chunks and a can of Campbell's pork and beans.

I also miss bacon, liver and onions with mashed potatoes and one of the Chief's canned vegetables on the side, probably green beans.

Meatloaf with mashed potatoes, gravy and canned corn.

A big treat when we were kids was the Swanson pot pie, five for a dollar, over boiled potatoes with a side of apple sauce from a can.

Don't forget dessert!

banquet.jpg

My mother was a fantastic scratch cook, but you would never know it from this list! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Not really sure what was the most common foods in Soviet days back in 60's in Russia or Ukraine, I lived in Ukraine, but pan fried meat balls shaped like hamburger with mashed potatoes and a side of canned green peas were a staple in every cafeteria. As a kid, I also remember elbowroni mixed with ground, leftover cooked meat, mixed together served to us in the day care. Everybody, not only kids, loved it. Still make that now and then.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Tuna Casserole made with cream of mushroom soup, frozen mixed vegetables, onions and if we had it shredded cheese on top. Baked till bubbly.

Johnny Marzetti had cheese added to the regular goulash. I still make that on occasion, the Ogre loves it.

When I was growing up in California the food at my house wasn't very American. It was Danish and Swedish. I'm trying to remember favourites, but about all can come up with is my mum's smørrebrødsbord. The other favourites were American: chicken grilled over charcoal on my dad's homemade rotisserie or steak grilled over charcoal. Oh yeah, tuna salad sandwiches.

A can of kidney beans, partially drained, mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup, poured over browned ground beef patties or cube steaks. Cover and simmer. Top with shredded cheddar and serve. :yum:

My mom used to make this as far back as I can remember, we loved it and every now and then my daughter asks for it. I think I'll have to revive this next time they come for dinner. Nostalgic memories!

Well, because I was raised in a little house attached to a "Mom/Pop grocery/meat market" (circa '46-'63) we often had meals made of what we couldn't sell. I joke that I didn't know that grapes came on stems till I was grown, as loose grapes from the bottom of the box were always in a pretty bowl, (thanks to Mom) on the table for snacking. Dad would collect cans of food that had lost their labels and dump it into a pot calling it "gravy train" and expect Mom and I to eat it....it only worked sometimes. lol
Then there was the dark beef, that didn't sell in the meat case, and it was some of the best beef in my memory.:yum:

Back
Top Bottom