Sewing for old farts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zagnut, behave yourself! (Yes, the mis-name is intentional. :LOL:)

Sounds useful. I'm sure there are lots of other uses for that magnifier-lamp.

Do you have one that clamps onto something? Or with a base to set it on a table? Or a floor lamp? Or something I haven't seen?
My SIL got one when she was quilting. Now she uses it when she quilts, cross-stitches, reads, trims her nails...

Buy New undies. :eek:

You obviously don't understand how frugal (cheap) I am. ;)
You just don't know how to sell this. The fully intact undies are your winter ones, the ones with holes are you summer ones. Ventilation, you know. ;)

And, in case we're keeping score, no bra here either. Just to keep things straight, Himself is the only one allowed to run the bases...

Anyone have suggestions for threading the needle?

I used to be able to do it with ease.

Now it seems I need to use a needle with a larger size eye.

Oh well. Age has it's advantages and disadvantages. :)
Try a haberdashery shop for a needle threader or Google "needle threader". There are various types, the simplest being a thin diamond-shaped wire loop attached to a plasic holder. The wire loop passes through the eye of the needle, you put the thread trough the diamond and remove the wire from the needle.

There are more complicated arrangements available but this is the one I find the most useful. Works for all thicknesses of thread from sewing cotton to thick knitting yarn.

Last edited:
Anyone have suggestions for threading the needle?

I used to be able to do it with ease.

Now it seems I need to use a needle with a larger size eye.

Oh well. Age has it's advantages and disadvantages. :)

Read through this (thread.) Pun intended:LOL:

I'm with purchasing a lighted hands free magnifier.
My sister asked me the other day if I could finish up the last craft project that my Mother had started.It was supposed to be a gift for her husband.

I couldn't not only see the thread hole in the needle.But the tiny beads she was using. So I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VLFJV8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A30PATI02BEUC3

I could have bought a floor lamp or one with a clamp.Some of those clamps are cheaply made. Tried it out last night.Excellent buy.
After I was finished my son used it to work on a computer.Hubby then used it when he took his prescriptions. Got a good laugh at the fine print.
"Do not take while pregnant, or nursing." ROFL!!!!!

It's handy and fits into my sewing table drawers.

Munky Badger

Read through this (thread.) Pun intended:LOL:

I'm with purchasing a lighted hands free magnifier.
My sister asked me the other day if I could finish up the last craft project that my Mother had started.It was supposed to be a gift for her husband.

I couldn't not only see the thread hole in the needle.But the tiny beads she was using. So I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VLFJV8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A30PATI02BEUC3

I could have bought a floor lamp or one with a clamp.Some of those clamps are cheaply made. Tried it out last night.Excellent buy.
After I was finished my son used it to work on a computer.Hubby then used it when he took his prescriptions. Got a good laugh at the fine print.
"Do not take while pregnant, or nursing." ROFL!!!!!

It's handy and fits into my sewing table drawers.

Munky Badger

Another thing I cannot take or do...:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Well...I'm a nurse and so many drugs say not to take while nursing..

img_1487233_0_8cf8eefd80370db0e0c4f014e89d8d19.jpg

Zagnut, behave yourself! (Yes, the mis-name is intentional. :LOL:)

Behave myself?????
That's something I never learned to do. :LOL:
Okay, I'll try but it won't be easy. :neutral:

You just don't know how to sell this. The fully intact undies are your winter ones, the ones with holes are you summer ones. Ventilation, you know. ;)

Thank you!!! I knew there was an answer to this age old dilemma. :mrgreen:
Now I just need to keep my seasons correct with my wearing of undies. :dizzy:

And, in case we're keeping score, no bra here either. Just to keep things straight, Himself is the only one allowed to run the bases...

No score keeping here.:neutral:
But perhaps knowing who is liberated or not is of interest. :brows:

(See I can't help myself.)

Thanks folks. I've been looking for the needles that allow you to not find the hole and put the thread in from the side or top.
Haven't found them yet but it's not been a priority on my to do list since I only sew every so often.

I don't have any holy undies. But a bra? I am willing to even leave the house without one. Only during the winter though. I have a coat or sweater over my clothing.

So now you know. I am liberated too.

Holey Underwear, Batman!

I wear socks until they function as leg warmers...when the holes get bad I chop off the foot.

LOL Princess - I have several pairs of heavy work socks... with no feet - I wear them in the evenings to keep my ankles warm. On walks as well, especially when the shoes/boots I am wearing are the 'thin socks' only ones.

I also have a pair of leather boots that I like to put an extra layer at the ankles because for some reason they rub there.

Works perfect.

Never wear socks. I simply can not stand the feeling of anything pressing against my skin graft that is at my ankle and top part of my foot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom