Sewing for old farts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been making up sewing kits and have learned that the cheap needle threaders, will pull out the metal threader part, if not fortified. Those little metal ones. You can get the metal threader part more tightly held, if you take a coin and press the metal parts that hold the threader, so the metal thread doesn't tear out when you use it.

There are also two types of self threading needles. The one mentioned above where you push/pull the thread through the top of the eye, and the other is called a side threading needle. I have both types in my sewing kits for tired eyes.

This is the side threading needle, much harder to find than the other type. https://www.amazon.com/Sench-Self-T...6716029&sr=8-1&keywords=side+threading+needle

***the cheap needle threaders, will pull out the metal threader part, if not fortified. Those little metal ones. You can get the metal threader part more tightly held, if you take a coin and press the metal parts that hold the threader, so the metal thread doesn't tear out when you use it.

Thank you! I've been using those things for years and it was always with the last one in the house it would break... why didn't I figure that out???

You need to rethink this. Holes in undies? First, no one gives a crap about the holes in their undies.:LOL: Second, if the holes are a problem, buy new underwear.

Wow, so no one tells boys never to go out with holes in their undies because you might be in an accident and you don't want the ambulance people to see that?? Amazing.

Thank you! I've been using those things for years and it was always with the last one in the house it would break... why didn't I figure that out???
You're welcome! I just learned about that recently and I've been sewing for years.Lay out the coin shaped part and the metal threader part flat on the table, then with the edge of a coin, press solidly down on the coin ridges that hold the metal threader part. They are sure flimsy and often come apart.

Taxlady: My husband uses it for electronics, I use it for removing splinters and even cake decor...

Taxlady: My husband uses it for electronics, I use it for removing splinters and even cake decor...
Sounds useful. I'm sure there are lots of other uses for that magnifier-lamp.

Do you have one that clamps onto something? Or with a base to set it on a table? Or a floor lamp? Or something I haven't seen?

Taxlady, this version have clamp on and sits really sturdy. I do like it.

Last edited:
Wow, so no one tells boys never to go out with holes in their undies because you might be in an accident and you don't want the ambulance people to see that?? Amazing.

The one time I was in that situation (heart attack in 2003) I can honestly say the condition of my underwear did not cross my mind.

You need to rethink this. Holes in undies? First, no one gives a crap about the holes in their undies.:LOL: Second, if the holes are a problem, buy new underwear.

I can't get the multi quote function to work right so you'll get this one at a time.

Buy New undies. :eek:

You obviously don't understand how frugal (cheap) I am. ;)

I don't mend anything anymore after ending up with a needle in my toe eons ago.

I kicked the dropped needle into my big toe getting up to answer the phone, and only the thread was showing at the tip of my toe. The eye of the needle went in first, so pulling on the thread caused nothing but pain. The rest of the story was gruesome at the ER.

Nope, I don't mend with a needle anymore.:wacko:

I can understand that Kayelle.

I once had a #6 finish nail go through my finger.
Don't want to experience that again.
I do have the X-Rays if anyone is interested.
And yes it did go through the bone. :ohmy:
It was also the middle one so if you want to see it I'll be giving you the finger. :mrgreen: Board attached. :ohmy:

I've been making up sewing kits and have learned that the cheap needle threaders, will pull out the metal threader part, if not fortified. Those little metal ones. You can get the metal threader part more tightly held, if you take a coin and press the metal parts that hold the threader, so the metal thread doesn't tear out when you use it.

There are also two types of self threading needles. The one mentioned above where you push/pull the thread through the top of the eye, and the other is called a side threading needle. I have both types in my sewing kits for tired eyes.

This is the side threading needle, much harder to find than the other type. https://www.amazon.com/Sench-Self-T...6716029&sr=8-1&keywords=side+threading+needle

There are needle threaders? Google even say's they have automatic ones.
I still like the idea of the roommate idea and having them being the automatic needle threader. :brows:

My mother drummed this into my head over and over. That's why I need help with needles. Can't have the EMS folks finding even the tiniest hole.:eek:

The one time I was in that situation (heart attack in 2003) I can honestly say the condition of my underwear did not cross my mind.

As to be expected. And to tell you the truth I actually never care about the condition of my undergarments. ;)

My visiting daughter stood in my room and wouldn't leave until I handed her an old bra that was being replaced by a new one...

I did have a choice as to which decrepit article I gave her but she stood there with scissors in hand till I handed one over.... then she ran to the dust bin and chomped away with the scissors. :nuke::unhappy::cry::blush: awww com'on - they weren't THAT bad!:rolleyes:

My visiting daughter stood in my room and wouldn't leave until I handed her an old bra that was being replaced by a new one...

I did have a choice as to which decrepit article I gave her but she stood there with scissors in hand till I handed one over.... then she ran to the dust bin and chomped away with the scissors. :nuke::unhappy::cry::blush: awww com'on - they weren't THAT bad!:rolleyes:
I solved that problem. I almost never wear one. That way the ones I have stay nice a good long time. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom