Sewing for old farts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
Anyone have suggestions for threading the needle?

I used to be able to do it with ease.

Now it seems I need to use a needle with a larger size eye.

Oh well. Age has it's advantages and disadvantages. :)

They have those little tinfoil and wire threaders. Used to come with sewing kits in hotel rooms, and might still be found at fabric places and Walmart. I use the spit and twist method, though the needle eyes do seem to be getting smaller lately.

Maybe dip the end of the thread in a bottle of nail polish (which you probably don't have) or some varnish (which you probably do have). Not much, just enough to stiffen the end, squeeze off the excess and let dry. Then poke through the needle.

Beeswax or an old candle might also work. Drag a bit of the thread through it, then flatten it with your fingers and poke it through the needle.

Last edited:
They also make needles that you can pull the thread into the eye, not sure what they are called, but they do have them at Walmart.

On Edit: I see GG knows what I am talking about...

I had to go to a dollar store and buy stronger reading glasses so I can thread a needle. I've been hand sewing down quilts for camping use.

I think stronger glasses are the answer but those self threading needles look good even with stronger glasses.

Now can anyone tell me how to obtain them with the correct color thread?;)

And I'm really curious to watch them thread themselves. :rolleyes:

The roommate with younger eyes and perhaps other younger parts still intrigues me. :LOL:

Being part of the "seasoned" age group I can understand. Is your challenge that you are having difficulty seeing to thread the needle or is it a hands/fingers problem? I have serious arthritis in both my hands, particularly my fingers, and doing fine tasks are sometimes hard to accomplish.

I'm aware of the split needles that have been mentioned but I've never looked for them in a store.

It's both Katie H.

Glasses help but the tiny eye of the needle doesn't help at all.

The only thing that did the trick this last go round with sewing was a larger needle size.

I really need to look into the younger roommate aspect . ;)

Anyone know someone who want's all I have to look out for an ahole and put up with my BS until I am no more? :yum:

...Anyone know someone who want's all I have to look out for an ahole and put up with my BS until I am no more? :yum:

I do. She's here with me. I shopped with the same criteria and was lucky enough to find her. You may find stronger glasses less expensive. ;)

I've had luck with those wire needle threaders and slightly bigger eyed needles. SO came into this relationship with a fully stocked sewing kit. When something needs sewing, she hands it to me! :rolleyes:

You may find stronger glasses less expensive. ;)

Very good point my friend. ;)

But does cost really matter as long as your undies are without holes? :LOL:

Guess I'd best look at the stronger magnification specks at the store.

But I'll never rule out the gold digger who want's my crap. :flowers:

Very good point my friend. ;)

But does cost really matter as long as your undies are without holes? :LOL:..

You need to rethink this. Holes in undies? First, no one gives a crap about the holes in their undies.:LOL: Second, if the holes are a problem, buy new underwear.

I don't mend anything anymore after ending up with a needle in my toe eons ago.

I kicked the dropped needle into my big toe getting up to answer the phone, and only the thread was showing at the tip of my toe. The eye of the needle went in first, so pulling on the thread caused nothing but pain. The rest of the story was gruesome at the ER.

Nope, I don't mend with a needle anymore.:wacko:

Last edited:
I have used those "self threading needles". Sometimes they break the thread while you are trying to get it through the split in the top of the needle. I vote for the needle threader and better specs.

Being part of the "seasoned" age group I can understand. Is your challenge that you are having difficulty seeing to thread the needle or is it a hands/fingers problem? I have serious arthritis in both my hands, particularly my fingers, and doing fine tasks are sometimes hard to accomplish.

I'm aware of the split needles that have been mentioned but I've never looked for them in a store.

I do a lot of embroidery. I like the fine point of smaller needles, and on occasion resort to the needle threaders. Otherwise, I resort to the self threading needles. But I have discovered much to my chagrin, that the thread still has to match the needle eye. There are some embroidery needles that just won't accept two or more embroidery threads through the eye. And that goes for heavy cotton thread for hand sewing.

One day on a shopping spree I came across an item that "I just had to have." A bag of 500 needle threaders. I always seemed to be breaking mine. At the worst time. I was giving away handfuls of those things. I think I may still have a few.

Back
Top Bottom