Seziure or anxiety?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Seizure or anxiety?i

I had the oddest thing happen to me earlier today. I was highligting my sisters hair and I started losing my vision, which is common for me when I have an anxiety attack. No big deal, I'll take an antihistamine in a few minutes once I get the rest of the foils in my sisters hair. All of a sudden my arms/ hands started to lose control. I was kind of yelling or shouting. My sister said it reminded her of a persons reaction to a spider or similar. This happened about 5-6 times and I really don't remember much of it other than I had NO control of my arms/hands.

Once it ended, I got all sweaty, was breathing hard, was scared and panicky, and just felt "not right"...rubbery and jello-like

Anyone EVER hear of an anxiety attack like this? Nothing brought this on....

I looked the symptoms up and anxiety and seizure have most all of these feelings.

Last edited:
Angie, I think it's time to see a doctor. I have had anxiety attacks but not losing control of my arms and hands. Better to be safe than sorry.....see your doc.:)

wasabi said:
Angie, I think it's time to see a doctor. I have had anxiety attacks but not losing control of my arms and hands. Better to be safe than sorry.....see your doc.:)

I am seeing a shrink right now for my OCD, depression and anxiety. I will call him on Monday unless it happens again. If it does happen again, to the ER we will go. I'm a bundle of nerves right now, though.

Angie,
best advice is to see a doctor. You may have had a low blood glucose reaction . My sister has this problem. Low glucose, can cause numbness of lips, tongue,sweatiness,irritibility,loss of memory,weakness, it's hard to diagnose tho, but I've learned through my sis that eating a big sandwich, lots of meat and cheese 1 slice of bread helps bring her around. Taking anything sweet will worsen the symptoms, as it causes your body to make more insulin, which at the time of a low you don't need extra of..But please, see a doctor and take care of yourself.
kadesma

texasgirl said:
Just because of the loss of motor functions. Not to scare you and it's probably nothing even faguely close to it. Just get checked out.

I will. It was so freaky. It was like Turettes (sp) or something!

Angie, you need to calm down. If you can, go to a dark and quite room. Sit and close your eyes and breath deeply, in and out. Think of the blue ocean waves or the pretty clouds in the sky. Whenever I'm stressed, that's what I do, and it helps me alot. Just 10 to 15 min. will help. If you don't calm down, you will have another anxiety attack. Please let us know how you are after you see your doctor.

:) I also get panic attacks but they have never made me lose control.I would definatly see a doctor it could be something really simple such as low blood sugar.You do need to get it checked out what if it happens when you are driving a car or something.Dont freak out but a may have been a small seizure.Who knows?Only the doctor can help you figure it out.

Last edited:
I have a migraine to boot, so I took a Maxalt (migraine med) once I got home (after this all happened). This all happened at my sisters house which is 20 minutes away by highway. I did call my husband periodically on the way home to tell him my whereabouts and etc.

I'm better now, still rubbery, but the Maxalt makes that happen as well. I'm a little loopy right now from the meds.

I use to take Xanax for my anxiety attacks but became addicted and abusive with them so I can't have them anymore.

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted!

:) Angie,
If if happens again do not, I repeat, do not get into a car that could be very dangerous have your sister take you home or have hubby get you its not worth risking your life.Find out whats happening to you.By the way I adore xanax but I only get a few to fly as Im terrified of flying.They dont really work for me even when flying but they do take the edge off a bit.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Angie,
If if happens again do not, I repeat, do not get into a car that could be very dangerous have your sister take you home or have hubby get you its not worth risking your life.Find out whats happening to you.By the way I adore xanax but I only get a few to fly as Im terrified of flying.They dont really work for me even when flying but they do take the edge off a bit.

Oh I know...trust me, that's why I was calling Joe (hubby) on my way home..I'd give him updates "I'm at this point now, if I'm not home in 15 minutes, call my cell"...The way I was feeling, there is no way I could have kept control of my car!

Yes, Xanax is easy to adore. In fact, I adore it so much that I would take a months worth (90 2mg pills) in 3-7 days and then have to figure out how to make it through the rest of the month before I could refill my prescription. Needless to say, those 3-7 days are a fog and I really don't remember anything that went on for months at a time. I finally quit cold turkey and called my Dr and said NO MORE and told him why...

Originally Posted by wasabi
I have had anxiety attacks but not losing control of my arms and hands. Better to be safe than sorry.....see your doc.:)

Same here, Wasabi.

Angie said:
I am seeing a shrink right now for my OCD, depression and anxiety. I will call him on Monday unless it happens again. If it does happen again, to the ER we will go. I'm a bundle of nerves right now, though.

If you're on meds, read the contraindications, or call & ask the pharmacist, and especially call your doctor. This could be a side effect of medications. Losing control of of arms and legs, yelling are not typical of anxiety/panic attacks (in my experience). I have had panic attacks so severe, I had tunnel vision, sweating, shaking, & heart pounding - initially diagnosed as PTSD. A complete physical exam and Thyroid test is another suggestion. I concluded the problem is I'm a little slow on the serrotonin re-uptake :rolleyes: (hope I got that right.) Beta blockers can help, but most people achieve success with an appropriate therapist in conjunction with meds -- if this is an on-going problem. I've ordered a Client workbook (per a suggestion from an expert); & hoping to work through it with good results. Vitamins (particularly the B's) can't hurt. Another suggestion is to time the attack, i.e. look at your watch, as it lasts only a few minutes - and will pass. If you're behind the wheel, pull over. There is an herb you can buy called Valerio (sp), and add a drop or two to water; you can find it at a vitamin store. Bio-feedback is another way to go. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Angie, I deleted my replys because, I was out of line for scaring you more. I'm not a doctor and tend to look at the worst. I'm so sorry for causing you more anxiety. I can't take it back, but, wanted to appologize for scaring you. I'm so sorry!!

texasgirl said:
Angie, I deleted my replys because, I was out of line for scaring you more. I'm not a doctor and tend to look at the worst. I'm so sorry for causing you more anxiety. I can't take it back, but, wanted to appologize for scaring you. I'm so sorry!!

:) It's all good, my friend. You were just worried and concerned!!!!! I PM'ed you....OK??? :D

:winkiss:

Now I think I hear the toaster and blackberry jam calling my name....hmmm...maybe peanut butter and butter as well? Once slice, or two?

Two.....:LOL:

Mish, I never thought about my meds. Funny...both of them say that if you have seizures or tremors, call your Dr immediately....

Angie said:
Mish, I never thought about my meds. Funny...both of them say that if you have seizures or tremors, call your Dr immediately....

That's what I would do, Angie. I'm very aware of side effects, and read all the inserts. Doesn't mean one will experience all or any of them, but be sure you tell your doc all the meds you're taking. Good luck. My best.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom