Shall we Gather at the River?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Are you interested in a Gathering? Where?

• Total voters
:) So far I have not seen a huge response to this thread so I dont know if it matters where people come from we first hafto get people to express some interest and see where the majority will come from,to me Las Vegas is still the most economical but if we cant get more people to put in on this, then I dont know if its worth meeting a handful of people or not.It seems like alot of DC members are not responding and that is dissapointing.Hopefully it will pick up.
I know there are money issues and traveling issues but if you guys dont talk to us we can not come up with a possible solution to get you there and back.

Even though we love to cook, I also know we love to eat!
Let's not worry about any cooking, rather savor the treats and enjoy the friendships.
No matter when it is, I can say I'm 95% sure I'll be there.
That said, I'd love to be on the planning committee.

I know you can book rooms for much less if you book a block of them at a time.

Just make sure to ask Z before you get any great deals - some hotels may be under so much construction that it may not be worth the deal.

Wish I could make it, but my funds are limited. It certainly would be a blast to meet all of you though!

If I can offer a suggestion, get a list of who is in. From that point see where your all located, then decide on a place to meet up.

i'd love to go, but like so many of us, funds are tight...after starting the new job just about 9 months ago i'm not flush with time off, and nearly all my dimes are headed straight on to the mortgage. i'm a huge fan of the regional plan just for financial reasons, but vegas is the obvious choice due to the plethora of hotels & restaurants. i do like someone else's prior quiet suggestion of new orleans...food there is equally amazing, and as long as you're not trying to cram in during mardi gras, rooms are quite reasonable.

Well, travelling across atlantic ocean may be a bit of a long haul, but me thinks that European get together may not be such a far fetched idea... although it may not be for too many members...

Our good friend has a big house in Stelvio (Alto Adige, Trentino), which can host at least 3 families/couples, plus his own family of 6 (they are actually thinking of turning it into a B&B). We spent a lovely holiday for the last 2 summers there, it is a beautiful place. The area have lots of mouth watering delicacies made with their fresh products, and one of the rooms of this house has a big woodburning oven, so we can even do a nice pizza party!! It shouldn't be too far to travel for Lulu and Jikoni (surely closer than where we are!), and maybe for Cara... and of course, anyone who are interested in having a beautiful holiday there will be welcome, and oh, Lynan, you are very familiar with this area, what do you say??

jkath said:
No matter when it is, I can say I'm 95% sure I'll be there.

Ok, It's in Detroit. Still planning on coming?? :-p

**watches as all the proposed attendees run for their lives*** :ROFLMAO:

John

(For the record, I'm allowed to pick on Detroit. I grew up here, go to school here, and generally like it here, but it's actually MUCH better here than I like to joke about it being)

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Alex...

Food for thought...

1. Out of the total membership how many are truly active?
2. Where are the bulk of those members located? East Coast? West Coast?
etc.
3. Would the DC Map be of any use to answer this?
4. Could Ben pull up any kind of location demographic on currently active
members? Members that have posted in the last 60/90 days or whatever.

Where the majority of people are (that would attend) should be a factor in choosing a location.

Like many others, including myself have said, where the majority of our members are located may not be a "cheap" destination. Flights to Vegas are pretty inexpensive no matter what side of the country you live on. That's the reason Vegas may just be a great location - even though not "centrally" located. Our membership really doesn't matter either - it's not like all 12,000 plus will be there - besides, a lot of those are "bots" and can't carry on a decent conversation anyway ;)

I think people are just watching and seeing what will happen. Even if it turns out that only 10 people do this it could still be fun - if it all works out. Life does get in the way of plans like this. It's just a gamble getting everyone together like this but it's worth a try.

ronjohn55 said:
Ok, It's in Detroit. Still planning on coming?? :-p

**watches as all the proposed attendees run for their lives*** :ROFLMAO:

John

(For the record, I'm allowed to pick on Detroit. I grew up here, go to school here, and generally like it here, but it's actually MUCH better here than I like to joke about it being)

I think I have to defrag my computer then - gosh, I hate to miss it!
img_420215_0_0ec66257c8567817cf16b4d27f7ab8db.gif

the last time I left the UK on my own (to Russia) my wife swore Never again (yeah she really missed me, Strange woman!).

so I guess that`s Me out the question.
besides, Cash issues preclude it.

Hey YT, IF we can get the European get together in Alps, you will be welcome along with your betterhalf, I expect all the family members are part of us and welcomed!! Plus, these days Ryanair, Easyjet etc. offer some incredible prices, so don't exclude yourself too easily!!

I'd be up for this if the date/time/location works out.

Vegas does have cheap flights and our spouses can come (if they want) and gamble away while we meet/greet and eat.

kitchenelf said:
Our membership really doesn't matter either - it's not like all 12,000 plus will be there - besides, a lot of those are "bots" and can't carry on a decent conversation anyway ;)
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

kitchenelf said:
Even if it turns out that only 10 people do this it could still be fun

10 is a party, imo!

I'm starting the conga line ........

"Vegas, Vegas, VE-GAS.....Vegas, Vegas, VE-GAS!"...........

I thhink you should add one where person like me can say: I would love to meat, but unless it is with in a half an hour from my home chances are i will not be able to make it.

I, guess, that should read as my anwer. Unfortynatelly I am so busy ...

P.S. Saturdays never work for me, That kind of cuts the weekend in a half.:(

Last edited:
If it was driving distance for me the nothing could keep me away. That is probably the only way I would be able to do it though.

Would love to do this NEXT year - we've already taken a couple of trips (Nov 06 to NYC, where I got to meet buckytom) and wedding in Chicago last weekend. In July we're sending the kid to Europe for 3 weeks and in October we have another fAMILY wedding in Chicago (found out at the most recent family wedding). Our Memphis buddies are begging us to come to their house on the Outer Banks for 4th of July. Plus, HH is making noises about going to a convention in Vegas or Nashville sometime this summer.

Just don't see being able to swing it financially.

However, buckytom and dw are thinking of visiting relatives who live near us sometime this summer and I promised we would burn a pig at my house if we can get together. DC-ers would be more than welcome to come to that.

:) You should check out Southwest Airlines they have really cheap tickets like air or air and car rental or air,car and hotel.Ive flown on them its a pretty bare bones airline as far as food and stuff but one of the safest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom