"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
Head Chef
As stated by Andy M, don't let any recipe scare you off. Since I have been on here I have tried things, mostly techniques, that I thought were way above me. But they were not!

Also it does help to have everything prepped and ready. I lay out all needed ingredients and equipment as I get ready.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #22
Master Chef
I have several cooking secrets to share but if it's boiled down to one I would say please invest in good quality knives------you will never regret it. I have a couple of Henckel knives and my favorite of all is a Wusthofff chef's knife. I've owned many other knives over the years and believe me you will always reach for the good quality one. Since it's the time of giving put the word out-- they make great gifts.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Average Stock = Average Food
Good Stock = Good Food
Excellent Stock = Excellent Food
Great Stock = Great Food

Bonus Secret Cook by Temperature Not by the Clock!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #24
Executive Chef
My Norwegian Gramma was head pastry chef for 25 years
don't overwork your dough.
use almost freezing butter.
try not to use your hands too much when kneading, it warms the butter too fast.
result, flakey/crusty/light pie crust

if you have a t&t recipe that's the bomb just the way it is, no matter how easy and simple it may be, leave it alone and let it stand alone, don't mess with it, it's perfect already, accept that.

spend money where it really counts, ie. a Wusthof Trident chef knife. yep, it's a hundred bucks but well worth it.
a Cuisinart food processor, spend the money on one.
a Kitchenaide mixer, just bite the bullet and buy it.
These 3 must haves last a lifetime.

If you know you're going to use a certain spice a lot, buy the best. ie. vanilla beans, vanilla, nutmeg, etc.
if it's something you'll use only occasionally, buy it at the market on sale. ie. corriander, fenugreek, lemon pepper.

Train your pallet. I make food all the time, I TASTE AS I GO, as suggested by someone on here. If it's too sweet, I add the opposite ingred and taste again. If it's too salty, I add something to counter balance. My husband often asks me, "what did you put in this to cause this flavor." I often times can't remember because I've had to adjust so many things, and none of them make sense to a normal cook but to me, if I add a fruit jam, it may work, if I add a bit of chocolate to savory, it works, if I add ortega chilis to something that shouldn't contain that ingred, it matters not if it works.
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
Head Chef
Time your cookies to come out one minute less than the recipe calls for. Works great (almost) all the time.

People say, "ooo! These are so good! What's your secret?"

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #26
Executive Chef
As many have said, understand the basics of a recipe rather than looking at the ingredients and steps and then use your imagination because once you have the components of a recipe, you can substitute, you can experiment, you can push the envelope and develop something new.

Your meals can be as exciting as you want them to be once you let your mind loose on your food!

I treat ingredients as a game of Boggle (you know where you have nine letters and you have to make as many words from those letters). Look at the ingredients you have and let your imagination run!
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon
If you are doubling a recipe or cutting it in half, rewrite the ingredients with the new measurements before beginning. It is easy to mess up and double some ingredients and not others, which can really mess up something you are baking.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #28
Master Chef
Everybody has pretty much covered most of the bases .... but one:

Hot Pan - cold oil - food won't stick!

The exception is tin-lined copper - that should never be preheated!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 AM   #29
Executive Chef
Technique is the most important thing. An expert cook using cheap, low quality tools can still outcook an average cook using All-Clad, Wustof, etc. Learn how to do things the right way, and practice, practice, practice. Repetition is key.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #30
Sous Chef
Making Risotto on an electric cooker.

Heat stock and wine and then add rice. Then turn off the heat and let the risotto cook slowly on the afterheat with the lid on. After around 20 minutes it will be perfect. And if u cook it on the afterheat it wont stick to the bottom of the pot.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote