"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #31
Head Chef

Michael reminded me, another tip to keep the food from sticking and cooking better over all, don't put your meat into a hot pan straight out of the refrigerator. Let it rest on the counter top a bit before putting onto the heat.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #32
Senior Cook

let cookie sheets cool before you put the next batch on to bake.
I use my kitchen scissors almost as much as a knife..they are great for trimming fat from meats..cutting bacon..chopping herbs,,even cutting meats into pieces.
Keep your knives sharp..you can get by with less expensive knives if ya have a good sharpener.
lol..i'm sure i'll think of more later

Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
If you are doubling a recipe or cutting it in half, rewrite the ingredients with the new measurements before beginning. It is easy to mess up and double some ingredients and not others, which can really mess up something you are baking.

Barbara

This is a good tip. I have a number of recipes in my recipe book that have two ingredient lists printed out. One is double the other so I don't have to repeatedly do the math. I've screwed it up more than once.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

you are all wonderful for sharing little kitchen secrets with me, many of those i didnt know so its very helpful... more more more, please :)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
It's sorta been said already with clean as you go...
But start with a clean kitchen and empty dishwasher.
Don't have 3 other things going on.
Dont be checking on DC with food on the stove!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #36
Head Chef

If cooking multiple dishes, sit down and kind of write out a schedual of sorts.
As I am planning a meal I write out what I am cooking, what temps they cook at and how long they take to cook, and create a schedual for the whole cooking process.This way I can organize my cooking strategy so I know, let's say, that I want my roast to be done 15 minutes before serving and when I take it out to rest, I will kick up the heat in my oven then to 425 and put my dinner rolls in so they will be ready at the same time the meat is done resting, and be able to go on the table at the same time.
It helps to streamline your efforts and make sure you don't forget to cook something, or have it ready too early, or not ready when everything else is.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #37
Executive Chef

for soups stews crock pot meals whatever, brown the meat, brown the bones and veggies (get some caramelization) the flavor improves geometrically

tip: learn to brown and deglaze

all other technique tips given are sound fundamentals for sure.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You have a lot of great tips here. I can think of a couple that haven't been said in quite the same way....

Just a pinch of salt will lift the flavor of any dish (even desserts) especially where it isn't called for. Don't add it at the end, but during the mixing.

A propos of mise en place: 1. I always suggest to my students that they invest in a few medium sized trays for gathering the mise en place. Put all the ingredients for each dish you are preparing on a separate tray. It eliminates a lot of confusion when you are making multiple dishes at the same time.
2. Chop your mirepoix ahead of time, if you can, and make extra of each ingredient and bag that for future use. Chopped onions, celery, carrots, peppers all freeze well, so if you won't need them right away, just pop them in your freezer door. You'll be glad you did.

When assembling dishes like Lasagna, never make just one. It's just as easy to make two. You then can freeze #2 and have a meal made ahead for "you never know!"

Oh! and don't wash good cookware (or you knives) in the dishwasher!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #39
Master Chef

If you're going to make gravy, sear your meat at a high temperature, and let it almost burn...you'll get great color and flavor in your gravy that way.

If you're like me, and like to have a drink while you cook, be sure you get the meal together before you get too toasted. I was making gumbo with a house full of people once, and ended up burning the roux.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

if you're making tomato sauce, keep stirring it or it'll burn.

if it does get burned (you can feel it on the bottom with a spoon), carefully ladel off the as much as you can without disturbing the bottom, then pour off the rest into another pot.

and never cook sauce naked.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote