"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #71
Head Chef

Lefselover, you have only dropped 2 eggs in your lifetime? Your poor dogs. Mine get an egg or two a week, I think.

Back to the tips.

Remember, baking is science, and baking recipes are formulas. Don't mess with them too much, or you will have a disaster.

(I have a friend who is always trying to "healthy up" muffins and cakes. Subbing in ww flour for white, honey for sugar and adding a cup of flax meal is pretty much a recipe for building materials--bricks.)

Other recipes, for main dishes etc are free game--I always look at them as suggestions, not written in stone. Relax, have fun, make it the way you like it.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
All the above, especially mis en place.

I'll also add that it's important to read your recipe all the way through before beginning any prepping or cooking. It's no fun to get to a stage of a recipe only to discover you don't have an ingredient in the correct amount or at all or be missing an essential cooking utensil/tool.

Hand-in-hand with reading the recipe completely is to make sure your read it enough in advance of preparing the dish that you will be certain to have enough time to make it. Rushing can lead to mistakes or a poorly prepared recipe. "Haste makes waste" is definitely true.

what she said, reading recipes is necessary and saves lots of time as u make whatever .

babe

Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #73
DC Grandma

Don't put your smoke alarm to close to the stove top. ( my son did that last week..it goes off when the toast pops up. Toster is on top of the refrigetor )

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #74
Master Chef

Never 'play' with a recipe until after you have made it the first time exactly as instructed, and only if you can afford to throw it out if it doesn't work out...
Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #75
Master Chef

To me there is a huge difference between baking and putting a meal on the table. I cook the latter way, I don't bake. As far as putting a meal on the table, to me the rule is to be flexible. I don't think you can be as flexible when you are baking. I have taken a meal for 4 and turned it into a meal for 15. I keep on hand gravy mix packages, instant mashed potato flakes, there is always extra meat in the freezer and usually some real poultry stock of some sort. Carrots and celery, onions and garlic are always in the pantry. To me the secret to "good cooking" is having a fully stocked spice cabinet and pantry.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #76
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Never 'play' with a recipe until after you have made it the first time exactly as instructed, and only if you can afford to throw it out if it doesn't work out...
I agree with this, except in certain circumstances. For instance, I hate dates but like raisins. So if a recipe calls for dates, I will substitute raisins. I also substitute beef for veal. Since I have made these substitutions before, I know they will work. I figure it is better to use something I like than to never try the recipe at all. However, I won't try to make a substitution for something I don't know about.

Barbara