Share one cooking secret, please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
learn 2 things:
1) How to be Intimidating
2) how to say "It`s Supposed to be like that, have you No class!?"

Seriously tho :)

the main thing is to Always be Flexible and have a good Back-up plan, Just in case!

and another tip that applies to Sauces, stocks, soups, stews (and probably a load of other things that begin with `S`) Dont cook the Love out of it, these things Can suffer from being cooked for Too long.

Always use the best ingredients you can get, have things in place before you start, and never but never be afraid to ask questions or for help...and give thanks where it's due.
kadesma

Just because you added an ingredient, such as onions, at the beginning of cooking doesn't mean it won't give the dish a different dimension if you add some more towards the end.

You have to be selective here, but there are many dishes that readding an ingredient towards the end of the cooking process helps a lot.

And Worcestershire sauce helps almost every stew. You can keep it below the limit where most folks will recognize its presence, but it sure adds a bit of a tang.

Also a splash of vinegar in a soup, such as pea or lentil soup, just before serving adds a tang many like.

Don't be afraid to 'tweak' the recipes and add a little of this or a little of that as it comes to mind as something which may make it tasty in a slightly different way. Most of all enjoy it and have fun. No cooking is meant to be worried over..it takes the taste away :chef: :)

Last edited:
Along with having fun, have a sense of humor. Many cooking mistakes turn into a whole new taste treat! And sometimes when things go wrong, a sense of humor can cause a cooking disaster to become a great story years later. I remember once when my mom made a chocolate meringue pie and accidentally dropped it into the sink full of dishwater. As fast as the pie slipped into the water she pulled it back out. Because of her quick thinking, she was able to wash off the meringue and we had chocolate pudding for dessert! LOL That was over 30 years ago but I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday. If you can't laugh at your mistakes, you probably can't learn from them.

:)Barbara

So many good tips. Mine is to not forget why you are cooking and who you are cooking it for. Sit down and enjoy the food with those you love.

Something I learnt recently - if using dried herbs add them at an early stage - eg onion frying stage so they start to release their flavour. Frsh herbs are better added towards the end, so the flavour is still fresh.

When boiling rice, dont stir too much. Give one important stir in the beginning and once in the middle of cooking to prevent sticking and burning. I dont know if this is 'scientifically' correct but it always works for me.

Secret. Its not so much what you cook with as it is the 3 T's. Technique, Temperature and Timing.

One thing that has improved my cooking dramatically is to always use butter instead of margarine, if you don't have medical reasons for avoiding butter.

Sear meat

If you're going to make gravy, sear your meat at a high temperature, and let it almost burn...you'll get great color and flavor in your gravy that way.

If you're like me, and like to have a drink while you cook, be sure you get the meal together before you get too toasted. I was making gumbo with a house full of people once, and ended up burning the roux. :(

You mentioned. "Sear the meat" This is a favorite of mine. Most recipes call for browning the meat before stewing or other applications.
This means BROWNING not GRAYING and semmering in the juices!
Browning brings out the full favor of the meat.

Enjoy,
Charlie

Barbara is so right---do have a sense of humor! I once threw some very uncooperative pie dough (first try at pie dough by the way) across the room and it hit the wall with a loud THUD and slid down and it made me feel SO GOOD that I had the patience to try again and the second time it turned out just fine---don't give up--and that which won't kill you just throw in the garbage if you can't salvage it and tell no one--(my mother in law's secret on why she made such delicious, perfect desserts)

Back
Top Bottom