"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol.. expat I'm married to one of those too... it makes life interesting!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I am sure there are exceptions and my experiences are not everyone's. However, all of the females that I have been co-kitchening with have always acted as your husband does with you. By the way, I take the same tact that you do, with a little JoeV thrown in. I will run a not full dishwasher to insure that I have everything clean for when I want to cook. I know it is inefficient. I like the job the dishwasher does, it just seems to rinse cleaner than hand washing, at least for me.

AC

Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The kitchen is mine and I am responsible for clean up as well. She does use it from time to time and cleans up after herself
Ditto.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Well since dh thinks the kitchen is a foreign country he doesn't try to do anything in there but eat! lol I've taught ds and dd (when she's home) how to load the dishwasher for maximum efficiency. I'm somewhat anal about how the silverware and dishes go in. I do tend to change things around from time to time when they load it.
As far as the kitchen, my brothers were here for the holiday and thank goodness they're not familiar with my kitchen.........so they didn't come into the kitchen except to bug me. lol They all think they're the greatest cooks and know how to do things so much better.

Barb
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
There are some people I can cook with, where it's almost like a ballet in the kitchen. Lee
As in so many areas of our life together, Buck and I were partners. The kitchen was no exception and, as Lee says, we almost did a ballet when working together there. And, sometimes, we even danced to songs on the radio when the spirit moved us.

I did most of the cooking and Buck was my sous chef. He did a lot of the chopping and measuring without any complaint. We had a great time in the kitchen and cooked as a pair for over 14 years after we moved here...sans children.

When the children were at home, we both slung hash as fast as we could to feed the "masses." It was fun.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
The dishwasher could be a thread all by itself. I have never met a female that does not rearrange it to suit them. Long as the dishes come out clean "no foul".

AC
That's hilarious that you point that out! I always rearrange the dishwasher insides, it's just one of those things that is supposed to be certain way (MY way).

Expat & pdswife- you should see this great website: www.cookingforengineers.com
See at the bottom of every recipe there's a procedural chart. I love it

As far as sharing the kitchen, I only like having someone I can teach or boss around. SO and I bump around like pinballs when we're together in the kitchen.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
There are some people I can cook with, where it's almost like a ballet in the kitchen.
dw and i are like a ballet in the kitchen. unfortunately, it's always the nutcracker.

but seriously, we are dangerous around each other in the kitchen. we both tend to move fast to our blind sides, often carrying hot or sharp things.

however one of the few good parts of living throughout a 2 family house is that we have 2 kitchens: dw's is upstairs, mine is on the first floor. we'll be house shopping in the spring, so one of the first criteria that we will be looking for is a large kitchen. and suits of armor.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I do not like to share my kitchen... For years I had a roomate (a major foodie and a very good cook) we basically treated it like a time share we almost never cooked at the same time.... our main problem is that she is super organized and has a defined place for everything... i sort of put things where they fit.... this did not make her happy... The main rule we always followed was cleaning up... there is nothing worse than someone else dirty dishes in the sink.

I find it difficult to even make a cup of coffee in my mothers kitchen and can never find anything and she will immediately take over if you are trying to make something... I grew up in that house and still using the ktchen is soft of unspoken off limits... if she is home she just steps in and if she is not certainly she will discover some mess you made no matter how hard you clean up... and nobody can ever put anything back in the right spot. I dont even like emptying the dishwasher because mom will just come back and rearrange eveything I put away... and forget about putting things IN the dishwasher there are all sorts of unknown rules. It is her domain... my stepfather is allowed to use it once a year on xmas morning to make breakfast.. thats about it otherwise his only responsibility there is to clean the floor nightly. My brother who still lives at home will cook for himself at his GF's parents house but not dare use the kitchen at home.... Fourtunatley mom is a great cook and pretty much always willing to make you something to eat so there really is no incentive to try to cook anything anyway.

My own kitchen, in all honesty, is a disaster. But its my disaster.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #19
Master Chef

I like when my wife does the dishes and puts them away the way she wants it to. Then I for sure always know who to ask, if I can't find something. As long as she doesn't do any cooking in My kitchen she can be there as much as she wants. i like to talk to her when I cook.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #20
Head Chef

My son and I used to be the perfect pair in the kitchen but this year at Thanksgiving I discovered his wife of at least 10 years and he are now perfect partners...ah well all good things must come to an end and he spends much more time in the kitchen with her than with me (they live some distance away from us)

However, DH and I have finally melded into a kitchen team and we have a wonderful time when we're working in there together but I'm basically a lone cook.