"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sharing the Kitchen

We recently had a thread about how you liked having people in the kitchen when you cook.

I was wondering yesterday about he next step - how about the person you share the kitchen with. I sometimes get mildly aggravated (thats all I'm admitting to) when my DW uses the kitchen and puts things to suit herself - sometimes not where I have them and use them a lot. I am the main user of the kitchen feel that I want things where they are convinient to me, rather where someone else thinks they should be.

A corollary is when the boys are on clean up - and they have some interesting ideas for where things go!!

Of course I'm perfect and never do anything wrong or wind up anyone else

Old 11-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like she's the kind of person that would turn the toilet paper around to suit her, too, miniman

Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

Well, I can tell you, my husband refuses to put clean dishes up from fear!! lol
He knows how crazy I get when I can't find something that my kids had put up. Not that they are not in the house any longer, he knows not to touch my stuff, hehehe
Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The kitchen is mine and I am responsible for clean up as well. She does use it from time to time and cleans up after herself.

As part of our remodeling this summer, SO relined the cabinet shelves. In doing so, she decided to rearrange things and move some stuff out all together. We 'discussed' that at length. She also is creative in where she puts stuff when she empties the DW.

I've given up trying to get her to load it properly. I just rearrange stuff before I run it.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Head Chef

There are some people I can cook with, where it's almost like a ballet in the kitchen. My mother and I are in synch. Same with my stepmother and I. We sense where the other person is, and move around efficiently and seamlessly.

However, I cannot work side-by-side with either my brother (a very good cook) and my aunt (a terrible cook). They are ALWAYS where I need to be, and we are always tripping over each other.

If anyone is just standing there and not doing anything but following me around and talking to me while I am cooking, I can't stand that.

Lee
Old 11-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
The dishwasher could be a thread all by itself. I have never met a female that does not rearrange it to suit them. Long as the dishes come out clean "no foul".

I was not into cooking when the kitchen was / built stocked. Since I now do most all of the cooking I have arranged the stores to suit my needs and can pretty much grab what I want easily. It does get rearranged and I don't much like it.

AC
Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm considering drawing a map for James so that he can find the kitchen. He has managed to find the refrigerator now and then, and on occasion has found the cupboard next to the refrigerator and the drawer with the can opener (which, not to change the subject, is going into the trash now that we have a new electric one!) and flatware. Since he likes to eat ravioli, Spaghettios, etc. cold out of the can, he hasn't had to venture farther in to find plates, bowls, etc.

Barbara
Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I think if you make a meal everyone like they should do the dishes. I will do the dishes when the DW cooks, or even when the daughter cooks. I love it when mom comes to town, she takes over the kitchen and I will clean every pot and pan in the house because she will make a meals that will use every pan in anyone's house.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Head Chef

First, DW and me put things in the same spot each and every time. DW has never learned to load the dish washer properly, so I gave up on that decades ago. Me, I can't stand the dishwasher, and wash everything by hand...that way I KNOW everything is washed, and is back in its place when the cooking and cleanup is finished. I HATE to need something and find out it's in the dishwasher that hasn't been run because it wasn't full enough, and then have to use a chisel to get the hardened food remnants off of the item.

I can work in the kitchen with DW, but find it easier to work with my twin brother in the kitchen. We both share our passion for cooking good meals, and instinctively move AROUND each other, as opposed to INTO each other (DW's way of getting close to me. ) Really, I cook because I enjoy doing it, but DW cooks because she HAS to . I understand that she fed 5 of us for a lot of years, so I don't mind when she asks me to make something.

So, that's DW and my twin...all others please stay on the non-work side of the island and enjoy your coctail.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
The dishwasher could be a thread all by itself. I have never met a female that does not rearrange it to suit them. Long as the dishes come out clean "no foul".

I was not into cooking when the kitchen was / built stocked. Since I now do most all of the cooking I have arranged the stores to suit my needs and can pretty much grab what I want easily. It does get rearranged and I don't much like it.

AC
Whoa..............you may not have run into an engineer lately..........when we first moved into a home with a dishwasher about 25 years ago I arranged it and being fairly anal thought that I had done a great job.......oh, no.......Mr. Engineer hubby comes behind me and proceeds to instruct me on how I could have arranged it more efficiently (I've come to hate that word.....ha) and how the knives should be tangential to the spoons and the plates in direct parallel coordinates with the dishes on the top drawer, etc., ad nauseum........fine, I informed him since you're the expert it's your job from now on........ didn't bother him at all until he had to do foreign travel and then we had children and it became the job of the inexpert, inefficient, hands of mine since he no longer had the time.......hahahaha....thank goodness for foreign travel...........