Shock/flash wave crashes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
very recently iv'e been experiencing these flash wave crashes on my computer that are paralyzing for awhile every time. it seems to happen mostly while i'm on dc. is anyone else having these? does it mean i might have a virus, or could it somehow be weather related? it doesn't seem to be affecting ie as much, but i hate to use ie anymore.

Don't know what that is. Please describe.

i'm afraid i lack those kind of descriptive abilities, andy. the crash just happens, a message appears saying that a shock wave to a plug in or a flash wave has occurred. at that same time chrome is unresponsive, and i either wait it out, go back to the beginning, or unplug the computer.

Does it happen with any other browser? Is it a javascript error?

hiya alix! i trust you're feeling bright-eyed and bushy tailed again! nope, it has nothing to do with java. i haven't had java since my last computer reconstruction. i'm not sure if it is affecting my ie, but i don't think so. i'm starting to think virus, especially since no one seems to want to talk to me...:(

Getting there. Not all better by a long shot but I'm able to do a lot of resting the next couple of days so I'm going to be bright eyed and bushy tailed ASAP!

I don't know whether its a virus or not, but there are some things you can do to find out. You can run a Trend Micro scan to see what's up. What antivirus software are you currently using? Another option is to go to Castle Cops and you can download a Hijack Log thing, run it and post the log. One of the gurus over there will read it and tell you what to do to fix things.

there are a number of (free) utilities you can use to do a basic check for virus and nastyware

MalwareByte
Spybot

are two good ones.

Secunia.com can scan your "add in" software and alert you if stuff is "out of date"

Flash gets updated about every other hour - it's a real pita. "new" ad + "old" version could cause the problem.

"stalls" - when the ad server goes down / gets overloaded, that can really slow you down - sites sit and wait, forever, for the ad to "come up"

there is of course the possibility that some of the ads on the site contain errors - innocent ones or nasty ones attempting to cross script and send you places you did not want to go. also, not everyone sees the same ad - the ad software keeps track of the last / which ads you've 'seen' and serves up something fresh.

a lot of folks use adblockers - and never see the stuff. there is no shortage of stories about misbehaving ads on sites.

2nd thing to do is to DITCH Microsoft's IE. Firefox and Chrome are both outstanding alternatives.

The 3rd thing to do is to use an ad-blocker with your browser. Firefox and Chrome have great ones ~ I do not see a single ad on this site!

2nd thing to do is to DITCH Microsoft's IE. Firefox and Chrome are both outstanding alternatives.

The 3rd thing to do is to use an ad-blocker with your browser. Firefox and Chrome have great ones ~ I do not see a single ad on this site!

download done. thank you zereh. i need ie to access chrome, kindle pc reader and firefox. i can't even boot up my computer w/o ie. can i? i have noisy ads popping up, crawling all over my screen like they own it! firefox didn't stop the ads for me though. i no longer have firefox, but if this shock wave crash is chrome connected, i will reinstall ff. thanks again.

Once you install any browser other than IE you just set your preferences to make that browser your "go to". If you are on a PC just put an icon on your desktop and click on that to start browsing. If you're on a Mac, just put the icon in your Dock and you're good to go. If you use FF, use download AdBlockPlus and say goodbye to the ads.

I'm quite possibly on the underside of the power curve of this topic, but here's what my "years of experience" have shown:

if you run Secunia, make sure you haven't eaten lately because it's likely to make you lose your lunch.

if you run Secunia, you'll find that most of the Adobe product updates install the new version but do not un-install the old version(s). I have super serious issues with that tactic.

why? did you ask why?

well,
(1) there's a new version because of improved function or to eliminate some "security flaw" - or both - - - -
(2) about every Window user ever born "accepts" the "default" installation locations/options/etc
kool, eh?
(3) not so kool. every nastyware programmer knows _exactly_ where to find those old, but still installed, version(s) and can easily program their "nasty bomb" to launch C:\Windows\...\Adobe-ten-year-old\flash.exe and wreak havoc.

nothing like the smell of a toasted hard drive in the morning....

I refuse to install Adobe Acrobat on my machine - it had/has/continues to have so many security flaws it's an open invitation to being 'attacked'

Adobe Flash is more difficult to avoid.

I use the Revo Uninstaller utility (free, and really good stuff) in its most thorough mode to remove all traces of Flash before installing a new version.

and, while I'm all wound up and on a rant:
- if you don't have / keep your data backed up, it was time - weeks ago.
- if you don't have a disk image of a good install, you need to research what that means.
- go to WindowsSecrets.com and sign up for their newsletter - they have a free one and "paid" subscriptions. the "paid" bit is a user selected donation - a buck a year - whatever you feel comfortably with. a lot of it may be more geeky than you every wanted to know - but a whole lot of it can alert you to a whole lot of problems. especially stuff like Windows Updates that will trash your computer....

no, no personal or business relationship to any of it.
hhhmmm, could be personal - I'm pretty dang attached to my computers . . .

I'm quite possibly on the underside of the power curve of this topic, but here's what my "years of experience" have shown:

if you run Secunia, make sure you haven't eaten lately because it's likely to make you lose your lunch.

if you run Secunia, you'll find that most of the Adobe product updates install the new version but do not un-install the old version(s). I have super serious issues with that tactic.

why? did you ask why?

well,
(1) there's a new version because of improved function or to eliminate some "security flaw" - or both - - - -
(2) about every Window user ever born "accepts" the "default" installation locations/options/etc
kool, eh?
(3) not so kool. every nastyware programmer knows _exactly_ where to find those old, but still installed, version(s) and can easily program their "nasty bomb" to launch C:\Windows\...\Adobe-ten-year-old\flash.exe and wreak havoc.

nothing like the smell of a toasted hard drive in the morning....

I refuse to install Adobe Acrobat on my machine - it had/has/continues to have so many security flaws it's an open invitation to being 'attacked'

Adobe Flash is more difficult to avoid.

I use the Revo Uninstaller utility (free, and really good stuff) in its most thorough mode to remove all traces of Flash before installing a new version.

and, while I'm all wound up and on a rant:
- if you don't have / keep your data backed up, it was time - weeks ago.
- if you don't have a disk image of a good install, you need to research what that means.
- go to WindowsSecrets.com and sign up for their newsletter - they have a free one and "paid" subscriptions. the "paid" bit is a user selected donation - a buck a year - whatever you feel comfortably with. a lot of it may be more geeky than you every wanted to know - but a whole lot of it can alert you to a whole lot of problems. especially stuff like Windows Updates that will trash your computer....

no, no personal or business relationship to any of it.
hhhmmm, could be personal - I'm pretty dang attached to my computers . . .
is it in my best interests to refuse all windows updates, even the "important" ones? my computer often acts real squirrely for a while following updates...

dc, how do you view pdf files without adobe? Or don't you?

I use Foxit - but I'm not so enamored with it anymore. a lot of its features have been moved to the "paid" version.

there are quite a few free pdf readers available.

>>is it in my best interests to refuse all windows updates, even the "important" ones? my computer often acts real squirrely for a while following updates...

I have my machines set to notify me of updates, but not automatically install them.
WindowsSecrets tests the MS updates and publishes which ones should be avoided, for now...
then I go directly to MS update and pick and choose the ones I want/need.

Microsoft does not have a good track record of putting out only non-catastrophic "updates"

keep in mind, Microsoft doesn't tell you diddly about the availability of Flash/Adobe/third party "add in" software.

I use Foxit - but I'm not so enamored with it anymore. a lot of its features have been moved to the "paid" version.

there are quite a few free pdf readers available.

Thanks. I didn't know anything else was out there. I hate the way Adobe is always updating everytime you run into a pdf file, but it is what it is. It doesn't seem to rock my apple cart... yet.

Last edited:
One thing that has helped me a lot lately is System Restore. Some of the latest "updates" have made my computer to act, well, screwy. The problem lately has been a Microsoft update.

By restoring my system to the restore point just before the latest update, I've had good success getting back to "normal".

I do have to say that I've been impressed with Firefox. It's lightyears ahead of IE which has deteriorated into junk.

Yes sayin'.

Back
Top Bottom